Kindle Users Forum Official News
Kindle Fire Software Updates
Amazon have pushed software updates for the Kindle Fire (2nd gen) and Kindle Fire HD. These updates, version 7.3.0/8.3.0 for Kindle Fire HD 7" / 8.9" and 10.3.0 for Kindle Fire are available in both the UK and US and add some new features to the device.
You can download the update from Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com
There seems to be a bit of disparity between the descriptions of the update for the UK and US, so it's unclear whether all functions are available in the UK.
The Amazon.co.uk description reads:
- Change your device language:
Set your default device language to one of eight languages, including English (U.K.), English (U.S.), German, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese (Simplified).
- Track your reading progress with Time To Read:
Kindle Fire calculates your reading speed to let you know when you'll finish a chapter or book. You can now read books that contain audio and/or video clips.
- Support for X-Ray for TextbooksExplore the “bones” of your textbook, and access all the most important terms and concepts, with glossary definitions and links to relevant textbook pages.
- Simplified Chinese SupportIn addition to the other languages offered, you can now change your device language to Simplified Chinese.
- Track your reading progress with Time To ReadKindle Fire HD 7” calculates your reading speed to let you know when you’ll finish a chapter or book.
- Support for Kindle Editions with Audio/VideoYou can now read books that contain audio and/or video clips.
- Print Replica Textbook EnhancementsScroll through thumbnails at the bottom of the screen to preview pages and jump quickly between chapters, and mark important notes and highlights in your Notebook for easy reference.