Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

How to order a Kindle Paperwhite from the UK (imported from US)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline KUF Editorial
07 Sep 2012, 09:09 AM | Post: #1

News From KUF

Thanked 0 times

How to order a Kindle Paperwhite from the UK (imported from US)

IMPORTANT UPDATE : The Kindle Paperwhite is now officially available in the UK from Amazon.co.uk

Once again the UK is lagging behind when it comes to new hardware and this time it's the revolutionary Kindle Paperwhite that hasn't quite made it across the pond. But don't fear - as it was with the Kindle Touch when it first launched, it is possible to import a brand new Paperwhite from the US and have it delivered to you in the UK easily.

First a little background info.

Ordering a Kindle from Amazon.com is very easy, but Amazon will not ship a Kindle direct to the UK, so an intermediary is required. Again using an intermediary is very simple and what's more they will take care of import duties for you as well - this will be covered a bit later on. Cost wise, expect to pay somewhere just over the $USD total but in £GBP, so for example if you order a $139 Kindle, expect to pay around £145 in total to have your Kindle in your hands. Again pricing will be covered in more detail later, along with a few tips to save money off this total. The intermediary we will be using is Bundlebox who I have personally used several times and have always provided me with a very efficient and reliable service.

It sounds complicated, but it's not

There is a lot of information below, which makes it look very complicated, but it's actually very simple and all the waffle is just explaining things so you understand what you are doing and can work out how much it's costing you.

Here's how you do it.

1. Decide which Kindle Paperwhite you want.

Probably the most sensible advice would be to choose the Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi only without adverts. Although it's slightly more expensive for the non ad version, in the past, removing adverts from the US ad-supported model has proved tricky in the UK prior to it's official release here.

If you prefer to spend a bit more and buy the 3G model, as with the Kindle Touch, the Wi-Fi should work absolutely fine in the UK as it has worldwide coverage. So far it's unclear if the free 3G service covers web browsing in either the US or UK, but it almost certainly will not as per the Kindle Touch.

Here are the model options:

Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi Only
(be sure to choose non ad supported model for $139 unless you really want ads)
Kindle Paperwhite 3G + Wi-Fi (again be sure to choose non ad supported model for $199 unless you really want ads)

Don't order anything yet, but make a note of the price.

2. Get a cost estimate for shipping from Amazon to Bundlebox here : http://www.bundlebox.com/shipping_estimate/

For a Kindle Paperwhite, enter either one of the following.

a) For a fully honest customs declararion (ie full cost)
  • Package Weight: 0.40 kg
  • Dimensions: 22cm Length, 18cm Width, 3cm Height
  • Product Value: enter the price in $ dollars of the Kindle you wrote down in step 1
  • Product Category: Electronics & Games
  • Product Sub-Category: E-Book Readers
  • Product: E-Book Readers
  • At the bottom, choose a delivery type (2-3 days or 4-5 days) and set the account to Regular (you won't have a super-saver account)

b) For a slightly dishonest customs declaration*
  • Product Value: enter the price in $ dollars of the ad supported version of the Kindle (ie around $20 cheaper)
  • Product Category: Electronics & Games
  • Product Sub-Category: E-Book Readers
  • Product: E-Book Readers
  • At the bottom, choose a delivery type (2-3 days or 4-5 days) and set the account to Regular (you won't have a super-saver account)

c) For a very dishonest customs declaration*
  • Product Value: enter the price in $ dollars of the ad supported version of the Kindle (ie around $20 cheaper)
  • Product Category: Books, Movies
  • Product Sub-Category: Books
  • Product: Any type from Fiction or Religious books (do NOT choose audiobooks). These have a very low rate of VAT.

* If your item is caught out at customs, you will be liable to pay the real import costs plus an extra administrative fee, so it could end up costing you more if you are unlucky. It's your choice.

Now, Click 'Get an Estimate' and write down the total cost in £

We're not done yet with costs though as there is some additional tax and shipping at the Amazon end.
  • Amazon Next Day Shipping is : $19.98
  • AmazonTwo Day Shipping is : $12.98
  • Amazon Standard Shipping is $7.98
  • Amazon Super Saver is Free

Next, add your Amazon shipping cost to the Kindle Price from Step 1 and multiply this by 0.06 (6%) for the Sales Tax. Make a note of the figure.

To calculate the total cost add the following together :

a) Your bundlebox estimate

b) The Amazon shipping charge + the Sales Tax converted from $USD to $GBP (converter here)

This should now be your Total Cost for the Kindle Paperwhite, shipping from Amazon to Bundlebox and then from Bundlebox to the UK, but bear in mind exchange rates will change slightly and there may be differences in currency conversion for your credit/debit card.

Assuming that you are happy with the cost estimate

3. Create a Bundlebox account. http://www.bundlebox.com

Creating an account is easy, but it does cost $15 (which will be refunded off your first shipping costs so don't worry). If you decide to cancel you can also get a refund. (See their T&Cs).

Once you have your account created, Bundlebox will give you your very own US shipping address to use on your Amazon order. This means your Kindle is shipped direct to Bundlebox and then on to you in a two stage process. Make a note of this shipping address or keep the window open as you will need it soon.

4. Order your Kindle Paperwhite :

Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi Only

Kindle Paperwhite 3G + Wi-Fi

5. At the checkout, use your new Bundlebox address as the SHIPPING address

6. Enter your UK credit card details for payment and use your UK address as the BILLING address.

8. Wait for Amazon to deliver to your Bundlebox.
Nothing will show in your Bundlebox address until the Kindle Touch ships from Amazon and is delivered there a few days later, so go and read a book until you get an 'items dispatched' email from Amazon.com

9. Once your Kindle Paperwhite arrives at Bundlebox they will email you asking you to arrange shipping to the UK.
Login to your account and you should see it in your 'Parcels in your Bundlebox'. You can now arrange to pay for Fedex shipping back to your UK address as you did when calculating the estimate in step 2.

10. Just wait for your Kindle to arrive. You can keep track of the FedEx delivery via your Bundlebox account.

A note about the Kindle warranty
As you will be ordering a Kindle from the US, your warranty will be with Amazon.com. This means that if you are unfortunate and have a hardware problem with your Kindle, you will not be able to return it to Amazon.co.uk for repair or replacement, you would have to ship back to the US. If you are not prepared to accept this risk, you really should think about waiting for if/when the Kindle Paperwhite releases officially in the UK.

But why not just buy one from eBay?
There's nothing wrong with eBay, and some people are already starting to offer them, but my advice is to be careful. Firstly, check the shipping information very carefully and make sure that the quoted postage price includes all customs/duty frees, a reputable courier and a timely delivery. You may well find that you end up paying more than just importing it yourself.

Here are some sample* costs for you ...

For a $139 Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi :
Items: $139.00
Shipping & Handling: $19.98 (Next Day Delivery in the US from Amazon to BundleBox)
Total Before Tax: $158.98
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $9.54
Total: $168.52
Shipping from Bundlebox to UK mainland (2-3 working days) £33.94
Import Duty, honest declaration: £24.25

Total Price £148.41 (subject to exchange rates and card fees)

For a $139 Kindle Paperwhite Wi-Fi :
Items: $139.00
Shipping & Handling: $19.98 (Next Day Delivery in the US from Amazon to BundleBox)
Total Before Tax: $158.98
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $9.54
Total: $168.52
Shipping from Bundlebox to UK mainland (4-5 working days) £32.41
Import Duty, false declaration: £5.36

Total Price £114.63 (subject to exchange rates and card fees)

Disclaimer. All prices above were accurate at the time this article was written. Always check the prices before placing any orders. If you use false customs declarations, being caught could mean penalty charges and delays to your shipment.
Offline bobbba
07 Sep 2012, 09:53 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: How to order a Kindle Paperwhite to the UK (imported from US)

Ordered mine, fingers crossed...
---
Online Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
07 Sep 2012, 09:55 AM | Post: #3

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

Which one did you go for bobba?

I ordered a Wi-Fi (no ads) yesterday Big Grin
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline Leslie D
07 Sep 2012, 11:07 AM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

This post was last modified: 07 Sep 2012 11:11 AM by Leslie D.
Amazon.com says they won't ship to the uk, and then its uk subsidary tells you how to circumvent the restriction; paying through the nose for an intermediary in the process.

No thanks. I will be buying a nook when they arrive, and since they use an incompatible file type, it is unlikely I will be buying a Kindle in the future. With Microsoft's money behind them, their future is probably secure.

What kind of crazy company is it anyway, which refuses to ship to you directly, and then tells you how to get around their own idiotic policy? Better still, why can't they sell through their UK subsidiary before (probably) next Spring?
07 Sep 2012, 11:12 AM | Post: #5

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

Hi Lesile,

We're nothing to do with Amazon.co.uk here - we're just an independent forum of Kindle owners.
Offline bobbba
07 Sep 2012, 05:16 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

I've gone for the Kindle Paperwhite wifi no ads for $168.52 inc all taxes and next day del.

The way I see it, the paperwhite is what e-readers should have been from the start. A clear white background for easy o the eye reading and no torch/lamp needed for night reading. Worth every penny to me.

As for the Nook, the reviews say that the paperwhite's lighting is a much better implementation than Nook's.

It does suck to have to import it but Amazon's prbably doing it to make the management and distribution easier. Multi national releases are something that Apple's only recently begun to manage and they still have staggered releases for many countries so...
---
Offline meejle
07 Sep 2012, 08:42 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

Quote: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers

Including tax, but not including the $15 BundleBox sign-up-fee-cum-discount or £53 I'll get for trading my 2011 Kindle in at work, it comes to about £70.

Which I don't actually have yet, but I'm sure I'll figure something out before shipping time. Big Grin
Offline seagull99
07 Sep 2012, 09:15 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

This is really useful. Thanks for your hard work in putting it together. I've gone ahead and ordered a Wi-Fi only ad -free model ($139).
However, the sums quoted in your guide, albeit on the understanding that exchange rates fluctuate, just don't seem to add up, however hard I try to figure them out.
You're suggesting a total price of £148.41p (subject, I appreciate, to exchange rates and card fees), but I don't see how the numbers quoted above give you that total.
If I'm going to be paying £33.94 for shipping, plus £24.25 import duty, on top of the $168.52 (around £105.39) that I've paid directly to Amazon.com, then surely the total figure is £163.58.
Or am I being totally thick? I'm the first to admit that numbers aren't my speciality!
---
07 Sep 2012, 09:59 PM | Post: #9

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

You are dead right. I stupidly forgot to add the amazon shipping and us tax on. I'll amend that now.
Offline iamhanuman
08 Sep 2012, 02:01 PM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

Wink RE: How to order a Kindle Paperwhite to the UK (imported from US)

Being completely new to this thread AND the world of Kindles, can I ask something which may be totally idiotic? I've always been of the mind that it is best to ask stupid questions, as i have no qualms about being viewed an idiot Smile

A small bit of background - feel free to gloss over should you wish:
I have been a Kindle observer for a long time (and strapped for cash) but wanted to get my avid reader of a wife an e-reader, and Kindle seem to have produced some nice machines. I fell in love with the Keyboard model before it was called that, and didn't like the look of the stripped down cheap one. I eventually went for the Touch but then this Paperwhite news popped out of nowhere. This fired me up (no pun intended) and having just been lucky to have recieved a small amount of extra cash I wanted to give a prezzie to my darling - can I import? I found your forum and here we are!

My question:
Ordering as described seems perfectly easy but wouldn't a purchase via ebay (as per the link below) be cheaper and even easier, with the seller doing all the nitty gritty for you?
I know there's the trust issue, but you have the Feedback to go on and you are protected by Paypal.
You can choose which model to go for.
What's not to like?
Link to ebay Paperwhite listing
Looking forward to advice Smile

Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations