RE: Recommend copy editing software? - My impression of WordsnSync EditTool - Post 11
I indicated a couple of weeks ago that I would use this program to see if it could help me with editing my novel, and I was asked to report back my findings.
I downloaded the full version of the program which is supposed to be free for 15 days. Within 2 hours of downloading it, I was being asked to pay $69 for a license key to continue using. I was however able to establish that the program seems to be designed mainly with technical writing in mind. As a result, there are only a few of the areas that I would find useful, and so I will not be buying the software.
Below are the macros set up in this software, which can be built upon by the user. I have added comments next to the areas I may have found useful.
• Wildcard Find and Replace
• Never Spell Word - where a word can be spelt in more than one way, you can set this up to ensure that the word is never spelt in alternative ways, ensuring consistency in your document.
• Insert Query
• Smart Highlighter
• Toggle – changes words, acronyms and phrases to house style
• Language Conversion – this is where you change British spellings to American spellings. [NOTE: Although this can be done with the Never Spell Word macro, it is recommended that you do not use NSW for this purpose. NSW is intended to be created new for each project, not as a universal dataset. Plus it may be inappropriate to change spellings in a particular project. In contrast, the Language Conversion macro is intended to be more universal so that every time you need to change, for example, British to American spellings, you run the Language Conversion macro and use the appropriate dataset.]
• Multifile Find and Replace
• Search, Count, and Replace (pre-v. 4.1) – E.g. Can use when you use italics for a word in another language the first 2 times in a novel, and thereafter, you do not use italics – this can check that has been done (I currently do this check manually, which is time consuming).
• Enhanced Search, Count, and Replace (v. 4.1 & newer) – enhanced version of the above
• Page Number Format
• Superscript Me
• Remove All Highlighting
• Choose Highlighting to Remove (v. 4.1 & newer)
• Delete Unused Styles
• Custom Dictionaries
• EditTools Clipboard
I hope this is of help.