Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Using a Wifi only Kindle in France

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline alwyn
10 Aug 2012, 10:11 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Using a Wifi only Kindle in France

This post was last modified: 10 Aug 2012 10:11 AM by alwyn.
On a recent visit to Germany I went into a Macdonalds hoping to be able to download my subscription newspaper from the Wifi hotspot but, when I could not connect, the staff told me that you had to subscribe to a German service. This was fairly expensive so I didn't bother.

Will I have a similar problem in France and, if there is a Wifi connection in the house we are staying in, will I be able to use a Wifi connection either using my own router or the one installed in the house?
Offline Notoriety Reading Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis
10 Aug 2012, 04:53 PM | Post: #2

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

RE: Using a Wifi only Kindle in France

Very odd advice from McDonalds. I can't see a reason why you should not be able to use any public wi-fi as long as they give you the key. I've used wifi in Greece in small villages on Paxos this year and on Kefalonia last year, both in an individually owned cafe/taverna. Use of wi-fi is nothing to do with your home ISP or router. Just the same as using a laptop in a hotspot: a good enough signal and the key. Someone on the board here posted the other day about not being able to get a signal at home but stood outside a McDonalds in the UK with her Kindle. Not sure she even bought a coffee - cheeky! Big Grin

Tony
Arab proverb: Only a fool lends his books and only a fool returns them.
Offline jennyp19
22 Sep 2012, 05:21 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

I don't know if it makes any difference, but German McDs is with T mobile. I used Burger King wifi, & their code is "onions"
Offline ElaineG Reading Standers by Dale Brumfield
22 Sep 2012, 05:57 PM | Post: #4

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 32 times

What I Read

I've used the free wifi service in a French McDonalds - but i gave up because when you try and use it, it first tries to take you to a website where you have to register, even though it was free - no problem at all on the phone, but the kindle couldn't cope with it at all, it was a bit too sophisticated for it to understand I think. I had the same problem at a train station in France as well, so it may be quite normal over there.

Currently Reading:Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis Last Book I Read:The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes Favourite Genres:Classics, politics, foreign language, "lit fic", funFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Standers by Dale Brumfield Last Book I Read:The Twelfth Child by Bette Lee Crosby Favourite Genres:Anything with a damn good story (apart from spy thrillers)!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations