Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Dark Tidings sequel - please help with the blurb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Ken Magee Reading Leaving Berlin by Joseph Kanon
19 Jul 2012, 07:02 PM | Post: #1

Reader & writer

Thanked 48 times

What I Read

Dark Tidings sequel - please help with the blurb

The Dark Tidings sequel is due for publication in August. I've drafted my first attempt at the blurb and I'd really appreciate your help and ideas.

Here's what I have so far...

Quote: Ancient magic has infected the Internet and the planet can’t handle it.

To escape torture and certain death, Tung, a young thief, and Madrick, a disgraced wizard, used an ancient spell to time-travel from a thousand years ago... bringing powerful magic with them. Michael, a computer hacker, spread the magic across the Internet. The only trouble is the planet simply cannot handle the unforeseen consequences.

Now, the global catastrophe is getting worse by the hour and these three are the only people on earth who can fix things.

To make matters even worse, evil wizards have followed Tung and Madrick through time, and they’re determined to hunt them down and destroy everything there is to cherish about modern life.

Lots of Kuffers helped me with the Dark Tidings blurb... I've got my fingers crossed that you'll all be generous with your time again.
What happens when ancient magic collides with the Internet? Find out at my website.
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
19 Jul 2012, 07:31 PM | Post: #2

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

RE: Dark Tidings sequel - please help with the blurb

I like your new tag line and the blurb is a good starting place.

It's going to be a good August with new releases by favourite authors.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline alexroddie Reading The Terror by Dan Simmons
19 Jul 2012, 07:38 PM | Post: #3

Eccentric wanderer

Thanked 123 times

What I Read

(19 Jul 2012 07:02 PM)Ken Magee Wrote:  
Quote: Ancient magic has infected the Internet and the planet can’t handle it.

To escape torture and certain death, Tung, a young thief, and Madrick, a disgraced wizard, used an ancient spell to time-travel from a thousand years ago... bringing powerful magic with them. Michael, a computer hacker, spread the magic across the Internet. The only trouble is the planet simply cannot handle the unforeseen consequences.

Now, the global catastrophe is getting worse by the hour and these three are the only people on earth who can fix things.

To make matters even worse, evil wizards have followed Tung and Madrick through time, and they’re determined to hunt them down and destroy everything there is to cherish about modern life.

Love the tagline! The actual blurb reads a little awkwardly in a couple of places, probably just grammar nitpicking but a blurb is so important it's probably worth getting 100%. Otherwise I think it's great and really hooks the potential reader.
Offline TresaC Reading Submissions! A N Other
19 Jul 2012, 08:15 PM | Post: #4

Accidental Publisher

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

Ooo Ken, I remember the fun we had last time with your blurb. I might have to join in again. I don't have time right now but may have a play tomorrow. Smile
Offline kaska Reading Song of Jikhoshi by Katie W Stewart
19 Jul 2012, 09:51 PM | Post: #5

A Student of Life

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 19 Jul 2012 09:53 PM by kaska.
Very exciting!

Waited a long time for this Smile

Edit to add ... Tresa is very good with blurbs ... Look forward to her tweaking ...

Sounds good to me Smile
20 Jul 2012, 10:45 AM | Post: #6

Accidental Publisher

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

Aww, thanks Kaska. Smile

Ken, the first paragraph tells me about the first book. tell me more about this one! Can a reader pick up this book and read it without reading book 1?

PM me if you don't want to give away details of the book just yet.
20 Jul 2012, 10:59 AM | Post: #7

Accidental Publisher

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 20 Jul 2012 11:00 AM by TresaC.
Not sure I am completely happy with this but here is my first draft of your draft. Carry on tweaking, folks.

Ancient magic has infected the Internet and the planet can’t handle it.

Previously… Tung, a young thief, and Madrick, a disgraced wizard, used an ancient spell to travel to our time. Computer hacker, Michael, then spread their magic across the Internet.

Problem… The planet simply cannot handle the unforeseen consequences.

Now… As the ensuing global catastrophe unfolds these three are the only people on earth that can fix the problem.

Add to that the evil wizards following Tung and Madrick, that are bent on destroying all we cherish about modern life. An end to all we know or can the Internet learn to compute magic?
Offline kaska Reading Song of Jikhoshi by Katie W Stewart
20 Jul 2012, 12:19 PM | Post: #8

A Student of Life

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

I think we need to keep the "escape torture & certain death" as that's the reason behind the time travel & relevant to the story.

It's difficult for me because I've read the book & can see that everything Ken has put has meaning.

I like the way you've broken down the previously, problem & now Tresa. That works well Smile
Offline Ken Magee Reading Leaving Berlin by Joseph Kanon
20 Jul 2012, 12:25 PM | Post: #9

Reader & writer

Thanked 48 times

What I Read

Tresa, Thank you so much for the help with the blurb... it really helps to get an outside view of it. I know what you mean about the first paragraph... I felt it helped set the scene, but I'll think some more about it.

"Can a reader pick up this book and read it without reading book 1?" - I've tried to make it so a reader can start with the sequel. It has a few pages which cover the 'previously'... I hope I've done it in a way that doesn't spoil Dark Tidings should they choose to read it later and I hope it doesn't bore the folk who have already read the first book.

Again, thank you for your draft... plenty of ideas to mull over.
What happens when ancient magic collides with the Internet? Find out at my website.
20 Jul 2012, 01:37 PM | Post: #10

Accidental Publisher

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(20 Jul 2012 12:19 PM)kaska Wrote:  I think we need to keep the "escape torture & certain death" as that's the reason behind the time travel & relevant to the story.

It's difficult for me because I've read the book & can see that everything Ken has put has meaning.

I like the way you've broken down the previously, problem & now Tresa. That works well Smile

Is it relevant to this book or the previous one? Over to you Ken.

Ken, My first thought on reading your first paragraph was that it reminded me of the blurb from Dark Tidings. So if I was a returning reader I might mistakenly think that this is the the same thing. I understand you need to let the reader know it is a sequel and you sound as if you have done that in the book.

Have fun! Smile

Currently Reading:Leaving Berlin by Joseph Kanon Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:fantasy, biographies, humour Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Terror by Dan Simmons Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Historical fiction, literary classics, landscape writingFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Submissions! A N Other Last Book I Read:Conversations in the Abyss by Michael Brookes Favourite Genres:Thought provoking fiction/biographies of adventurous people
Currently Reading:Song of Jikhoshi by Katie W Stewart Last Book I Read:As Far as my Feet Will Carry me by By Josef M Bauer Favourite Genres:I don't do Horror, Romance or vampires.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations