Joined: Oct 2012
Thanked 0 times
What I Read
RE: Font-sizing problem after Kindle update
(02 Sep 2012 05:58 PM)J.S.Egan Wrote: Fingers crossed!
Indeed! As far as I'm concerned, the problem just got worse, not better. Everything was fine on my Kindle
3G until I made the mistake of downloading a book direct to the device (instead of to my PC). I got the message 'Your Kindle is updated, sincerely, the Amazon Team'.
Thanks, but no thanks - now I have some books I can't read because the font is too small (as reported by so many others), but not all books have the problem, and everything I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg is fine.
Here's what I know:
For this older model Kindle, to find out which Version of the software you've got, got to Home, Menu, and select Settings.
At the bottom right of the Settings screen it will say 'Version Kindle 3.3' or 'Version Kindle 3.4'.
Version 3.3 does not have the font problem, 3.4 does, so an author checking her book on 3.3 will not know whether the book displays properly in 3.4 or not. My wife has refused to update her model, and she doesn't get the problem. Tricky! (Kindle Touch etc have different Versions, maybe 5.1??)
Various techniques have been described here and on the US Forum for cleaning up the filtered HTML file for your book. Here is how I do it on a PC:
My Word document is set up with Normal text as font 12.0, Heading1 as font 14.0 and Titles font 18.0, what I do is replace each of these font sizes with the % option, where 100%=font 12.0, as follows
Save the Word document as filtered html
Load the html file into Notepad
Look down the file in Notepad until you find the first occurrence of font-size:12.0; so you are clear about the syntax (I select this text so I can copy it)
Click Edit, and select Replace - fill in the fields as follows:
Find what: font-size:12.0
Replace with: font-size:100%
Now click the Replace button as many times as it finds this font size.
Go back to the top of the file, and repeat,
Replacing font-size:14.0 with font-size:120%
then font-size:18.0% with font-size:150%
Your file should now be clean, but I do one more check:
Get out of Replace, select Edit/Find and find all occurrences of font-size - make sure they are all changed to a %
Now SAVE the altered file, and load to KDP.
This procedure is easier than it looks. Earlier posters here have suggested using ems rather than % - I assume this is just as good, but I find the % format easier to comprehend - just me.
I tested this by loading the unedited file to KDP, saved as draft, showed font error. Repeat with edited file, fonts perfect.
What a nightmare! I hope Amazon tells us when a fix is released...