Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Will the new Google Nexus 7 tablet force Amazon's hand?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline leep
27 Jun 2012, 06:17 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 15 times

Will the new Google Nexus 7 tablet force Amazon's hand?

Google have launched their Nexus 7 tablet, which is better spec'd than the Kindle Fire, starts around the same money (£159/$199 for 8GB version) and will be available in the UK as of mid-July (pre-orders being taken on Google Play).

More on the BBC.

So, will this force Amazon's hand in order to get the Fire out there?
[Image: 41b1WpC7L5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ibvqKEBFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51XqLx%2BhxIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51g%2BiINoLAL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 6117LLScjrL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41H6AeNw4QL._SL95_.jpg]
Offline JamesWinterbottom Reading Rip It Up - Richard Wiseman
27 Jun 2012, 06:45 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: Will the new Google Nexus 7 tablet force Amazon's hand?

Amazon are launching an Android Appstore in Europe in the next couple of months. I think they are doing this as part of their plans or the Kindle Fire launch (they have had an appstore on amazon.com since the Fire was launched over there). I heard somewhere that Amazon had problems getting licences sorted for music and film streaming in Europe and that was causing the delay. I can't see them wanting to let Google get too much a head start on them.
Offline frogplate Reading The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson
27 Jun 2012, 11:11 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(27 Jun 2012 06:45 PM)JamesWinterbottom Wrote:  I can't see them wanting to let Google get too much a head start on them.

The Kindle Fire is too little, too late now. It's getting on for a year out of date, and has half the processor and half the RAM of the Nexus 7 - for a similar price. Apart from a good looking, integrated front-end to the Amazon store I don't see what it has to offer that the Nexus does not.
Offline J.S.Egan Reading
28 Jun 2012, 06:29 AM | Post: #4

Just This Guy, You Know?

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(27 Jun 2012 11:11 PM)frogplate Wrote:  I don't see what it has to offer that the Nexus does not.

It's a Kindle! Not being flippant - the brand is critical. The Nexus won't fly because it isn't a Kindle; and the Fire is.
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
28 Jun 2012, 07:42 AM | Post: #5

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

Also, don't forget that Amazon have removed Google's nasty spyware from the Fire, which is a major plus for me.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
28 Jun 2012, 08:20 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

Spyware?

By the way I'm sure it isn't coincidence that rumours of two new Fires surfaced today!
28 Jun 2012, 09:04 PM | Post: #7

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

I'm mainly referring to Chrome which reports everything you do back to Google, or so many people claim.
28 Jun 2012, 09:48 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(28 Jun 2012 09:04 PM)Lou Wrote:  I'm mainly referring to Chrome which reports everything you do back to Google, or so many people claim.

Is this just due to the naive way that Google handled the merging of their terms and conditions across their various products, or has someone using Wireshark caught Chrome passing information back to the mothership? (A few years ago I spent a lot of time running Wireshark with various browsers and saw a surprising amount of information going back to Microsoft, but I don't remember noticing any traffic to Google).

And of course if you use the Silk browser on the Fire Amazon will be seeing everything you do...
28 Jun 2012, 10:05 PM | Post: #9

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

I have read many reports about Chrome sending reams of data back to G without the user's consent. You may have noticed but I do have a pet peeve about the way G are so cavalier with people's privacy.

In the case of Amazon, one would presume they are not actually using the data passing through Silk, although of course you can't be sure. Fortunately it is easy to turn off.

Plus there's the whole Gmail thing where Google analyse your mails in order to customise what adsense ads they send you and let's not forget about all the data that they provide to various governments : http://anonym.to/?http://bit.ly/Mtnh8w
29 Jun 2012, 12:24 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(28 Jun 2012 10:05 PM)Lou Wrote:  I have read many reports about Chrome sending reams of data back to G without the user's consent.

From a quick browse I don't see any evidence that they are sending back any more information than they are declaring in their Privacy Statement. On the other hand, as they are hashing some of the data they could be sending back anything and it would be impossible to tell without disassembling Chrome's code (though much of it is open source anyway).

I couldn't find anything in the privacy statement that seems particularly worrying - any browser is going to be using much the same interactions.

(28 Jun 2012 10:05 PM)Lou Wrote:  In the case of Amazon, one would presume they are not actually using the data passing through Silk, although of course you can't be sure.

Google are trying to sell you adverts, Amazon are trying to sell you products. Both have a motivation to use intelligence gathered from your browsing habits to target you spending habits. Google make it clear that's what they are doing, Amazon say that they don't use browsing history (I seem to recall). I don't see any reason to disbelieve either of them.

(28 Jun 2012 10:05 PM)Lou Wrote:  Plus there's the whole Gmail thing where Google analyse your mails in order to customise what adsense ads they send you

When you sign up for a Gmail account Google links to this page which explains how they target you with ads based on email content. It's the contract you make if you want the free email service.

(28 Jun 2012 10:05 PM)Lou Wrote:  and let's not forget about all the data that they provide to various governments : http://anonym.to/?http://bit.ly/Mtnh8w

They obey local laws in the countries they operate in.

I'm not being an apologist for Google - there are some things they do that I really hate - for example the way they close people's accounts down on a whim - which becomes more and more damaging as their services become ever more encompassing. But I really don't think they are out to do evil (generally).

Currently Reading:Rip It Up - Richard Wiseman Last Book I Read:The Secret Footballer - By ? Favourite Genres:General Fiction
Currently Reading:The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson Last Book I Read:The Mongoliad, Book 3 Favourite Genres:Cyberpunk, Hard Sci-Fi, European DetectiveFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Women's LitFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations