Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Authors - Does your partner read your work?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
24 May 2012, 11:26 AM | Post: #1

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 278 times

What I Read

Heart Authors - Does your partner read your work?

This post was last modified: 24 May 2012 11:27 AM by Rosen Trevithick.
I'm interested to know how important it is to other writers, for their partner to read their work.

To me, my writing is an extension of me; it's my passion. I don't think I could feel happy with somebody who didn't take an interest in what I was writing, no matter how precious that might sound. However, I've read comments from other authors that suggest that I'm perhaps more bothered by this than some.

If you're in a relationship, does your partner read your work? If not, how does that make you feel?
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Andy Barrett Reading Void
24 May 2012, 11:38 AM | Post: #2

Master of Delusion

Thanked 81 times

What I Read

RE: Authors - Does your partner read your work?

Good questions Rosen. I'm not married any more, but when I was, my wife wouldn't read my books or my scripts. And yes, I found it a little upsetting that she didn't seem to take an avid interest as I'd hoped she would. Still, I carried on regardless; and she always said I would end up writing alone because of how greedy with my time I was. And as if by magic... ahahaha, here I am.

However she did once read my first book and broke down in tears. A strange reaction, I thought. Then it turns out she'd taken the plot-line of my main character having an affair, to heart. She believed I could not write that without having experienced it. Hmmm, I pointed out the flaw in her logic: I have an imagination, I often write about murders yet have never killed anyone. Yet. But I suppose the reaction was the best one I could possibly get.
24 May 2012, 11:52 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 278 times

What I Read

Hmm, that's interesting. Sheds light on why partners might not want to read our work. Sounds quite ridiculous when explained in the cold light of day, but I can see how it would be distressing to think like that.

And at what point does spending time writing change from reasonable to greedy?
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]
Offline B J Burton Reading Complete Works of H P Lovecraft
24 May 2012, 11:56 AM | Post: #4

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 56 times

What I Read

Reads it; shakes her head; rips it apart; enforces improvements; says it's wonderful.

I think I'd be bewildered and hurt if she took no interest.
Occasional author - compulsive reader

[Image: 51ZhtjNV5SL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41yFegpI0yL._SL95.jpg]

http://www.bjburton.co.uk
Offline Jennie Lee Reading Course notes for Pilates Teacher Training
24 May 2012, 11:56 AM | Post: #5

Aussie Kiwi

Thanked 156 times

What I Read

My partner reads my work. With a considerable amount of effort, I keep from him what I'm writing so that he gets the full whammy impact once I've finished the 2nd draft.

Then I hand it over to him. Thankfully, he's not afraid to say exactly what he thinks which leads to some much needed improvement and clarification in the 3rd draft. He's also very inspiring and keeps me motivated.

The 3rd draft goes to my wonderful proof readers.

Thanks for reminding me, Rosen, of how much I love and appreciate my man in my writing world.

Smile
Jennie's Website

[Image: 51XG2UNKzFL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51odD7YudkL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61wVrKkiTaL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61071hCtWXL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51IlO6c3bpL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61KsWLjj9rL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hyuXTcVUL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41J-kkf3cQL._SL95.jpg]
Breathe, Relax, Read.
Offline LindaGruchy Reading The Chandelier Ballroom by Elizabeth Lord
24 May 2012, 12:13 PM | Post: #6

Queen of the Typos

Thanked 41 times

What I Read

My hubby doesn't read much fiction so he doesn't read my work. Mind you, he's downloaded it when it was free so perhaps he does now.

I was hurt by his attitude, but I was quite obsessive when I first started writing, so perhaps that's why. But then, he's a bit miffed that I used my maiden name as my pen name. He's an engineer and they're often not very good at expressing their feelings. I think he's really quite proud. The first time I sold a piece, getting paid for my writing impressed him.

He's been very supportive of me getting it onto Kindle because he's the technohero and I just get in a flap.
24 May 2012, 12:18 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 278 times

What I Read

I like the sound of him. Does he have any siblings? ;-)

That's the ideal scenario, in my opinion.

I suppose it's different if an author writes for a very small, niche genre. I wouldn't want to inflict a 200,000 word historical epic about an obscure native American cult, on somebody who enjoys a light read.
Offline LindaGruchy Reading The Chandelier Ballroom by Elizabeth Lord
24 May 2012, 01:07 PM | Post: #8

Queen of the Typos

Thanked 41 times

What I Read

My Mother-in-Law describes my womag stories as, "Not too bad, really." That really boosts my confidence, I can tell you!
Offline Scribbler Reading TBR list - I hate you!
24 May 2012, 01:09 PM | Post: #9

I'm not really a duck

Thanked 699 times

What I Read

Hi precious,

When I find a partner I'll let you know.
Scribbler's scribblings:
 Amazon Author Page

Offline Andy Barrett Reading Void
24 May 2012, 01:16 PM | Post: #10

Master of Delusion

Thanked 81 times

What I Read

Reasonable to greedy? I can be a little obsessive I suppose. I often used to come in from work at midnight and do an 'all-nighter', leaving me too tired to function the next day. I would write all evening when working earlies. Don't ask how long I used to write when it was my days off! I used to squeeze in family 'duties' when I had to. I must sound like a bad man to be around, but there were other issues too.
I envy those of you who have supportive partners. Cherish them Smile

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Comedy; Crime, thrillers and mysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Void Last Book I Read:The Black House Favourite Genres:Crime, thrillers, action, fantasyFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Complete Works of H P Lovecraft Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy. Historical. Biography.
Currently Reading:Course notes for Pilates Teacher Training Last Book I Read:Tell Me I'm Here - Anne Deveson Favourite Genres:Historical, mystery, suspense, drama, romance
Currently Reading:The Chandelier Ballroom by Elizabeth Lord Last Book I Read:Fake Kate Favourite Genres:crime. women's fiction
Currently Reading:TBR list - I hate you! Last Book I Read:Maureen Goes to Venice by Jonathan Hill Favourite Genres:Anything with biker chicks... and unicorns.