Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Kindle owners, display question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
16 Nov 2010, 04:42 PM | Post: #1

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

Kindle owners, display question

I don't yet own a Kindle, so can a kind Kindle owner answer this question for me?

Yesterday I had my first bad review on Remix - one star, title of review 'Complete Rubbish'. It gave away the plot and was also inaccurate, so I asked Amazon to amend it. They removed it within hours (bless their cotton socks).

But while it was up, my sales dipped noticeably and my ranking dropped from #17 to #26. This seemed odd, when Remix has seventeen five star reviews, and two four star. So I suddenly wondered, when you look at a book on your Kindle, considering whether to buy it, does the latest review appear first on its own? This might explain that review's seemingly disproportionate effect on my sales.
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline plumboz Reading Wonder Boys
16 Nov 2010, 05:28 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

RE: Kindle owners, display question

Lexi,

Appalling situation, clueless "reviewer" and interesting question. I hope sales have revived!
Best,
Alan Hutcheson
author of Boomerang
Boomerang at Amazon
Offline lambeek Reading [Nasher Says Relax]
16 Nov 2010, 09:30 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Lexi, I just checked Remix from the Kindle and the reviews seem to be in date order, oldest first. However when I checked on amazon, and clicked to see all the reviews they were the other way round - newest first. Not sure about the front page (just showing three reviews) - that seems to be random - one from 3/11, followed by 26/10 and then 12/11????
16 Nov 2010, 09:43 PM | Post: #4

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

Thanks, Lambeek - that makes me think perhaps the dip was just one of those things. Do most Kindle owners browse for books on the Kindle rather than the Amazon site on the internet, do you think?
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Gilly Reading Remix - Lexi Revellian
16 Nov 2010, 09:53 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I tend to browse on the computer rather then the Kindle. Nice big clear computer screen and much easier to use a computer keyboard then the tiny little keys on the Kindle. So far have browsed and bought books via the computer and probably will continue that way until I'm somewhere without the laptop and desperate for something to read
16 Nov 2010, 10:03 PM | Post: #6

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

(16 Nov 2010 09:53 PM)Gilly Wrote:  ...somewhere without the laptop and desperate for something to read...

Sounds like an N.H.S. waiting room to me - I hope you don't find yourself there! I remember back in January in a 5+ hour stint in the Royal London's fracture clinic envying an American lady with a Kindle. All I had was a copy of thelondonpaper...Kindle Sad
Lexi
website
Offline lambeek Reading [Nasher Says Relax]
16 Nov 2010, 10:07 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Lexi,

I think I've browsed once via the kindle... just to test it out... but the rest of the time I access the Kindle store via my Mac.
16 Nov 2010, 11:04 PM | Post: #8

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

(16 Nov 2010 10:07 PM)lambeek Wrote:  Lexi,

I think I've browsed once via the kindle... just to test it out... but the rest of the time I access the Kindle store via my Mac.

Thanks...I wonder if PC users do the same? Cool
Lexi
website
Offline licenced Reading Apocalypse Troll (David Weber)
16 Nov 2010, 11:24 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I've never browsed for books on the Kindle - always use the PC browser. I think I would only use the Kindle itself if I had run our of reading material and no access to a PC

D
Offline Trace Reading
17 Nov 2010, 10:06 AM | Post: #10

Veteran Member

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I do all my browsing on the PC - I like shopping around when I should be writing Wink

Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Wonder Boys Last Book I Read:The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay Favourite Genres:Well written stuffFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:[Nasher Says Relax] Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Contemporary Fiction
Currently Reading:Remix - Lexi Revellian Last Book I Read:Lullaby - Claire Seeber Favourite Genres:A good read
Currently Reading:Apocalypse Troll (David Weber) Last Book I Read:Hard Landing (Stephen Leather) Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Horror/ Thriller
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Crime/Thriller, Mystery, Comedy