Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Question for Authors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline bluejay44
13 Nov 2010, 02:58 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Question for Authors

This post was last modified: 13 Nov 2010 02:59 PM by bluejay44.
Is there any difference in the amount that you authors receive for your books from Smashwords or Amazon?

I tend to buy books from Smashwords rather than Amazon when they are available at both. This is because of the choice of formats - before I got my kindle I used ( and still do) my nintendo dsi xl. So I can download books either as epub or mobi. Also, and in the future it could be important - if for any reason I no longer have a kindle, I will still be able to access my books. I keep all downloaded books from Smashwords and other sites on a portable drive and as far as I am concerned they are mine to keep. I am not at all thrilled at the idea of spending a lot of money in months / years to come and finding it all wasted if I no longer have a kindle.
Offline Simon Royle
13 Nov 2010, 03:31 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: Question for Authors

(13 Nov 2010 02:58 PM)bluejay44 Wrote:  Is there any difference in the amount that you authors receive for your books from Smashwords or Amazon?

It's about a 15% difference.
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
13 Nov 2010, 03:53 PM | Post: #3

Keen kuffer

Thanked 67 times

What I Read

I get more from Smashwords - notionally, that is, as I sell very few via Smashwords, whereas I've sold over 1,300 copies of Remix in Amazon's Kindle store. I don't know the reason for this.
Offline Monique Martin Reading Domes of Fire
13 Nov 2010, 05:22 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Just wanted to echo what the others have said. I make roughly 15% more from Smashwords, but there are very sales compared to Amazon. I completely understand the appeal of purchasing from SW though. The multiple formats is a great benefit.

Re: saving your books. Can you download the Kindle for PC ap and use that to save/archive your Kindle bought books so you don't have to worry about not having an actual Kindle down the line?
Offline Trace Reading
15 Nov 2010, 04:06 AM | Post: #5

Veteran Member

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I'll chime in to second what everyone else has said but I too see very few Smashwords sales - not sure why but Amazon outsells them by a lot.
Offline Margaret Lake Reading Matchmaker 2.0
15 Nov 2010, 02:54 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I don't publish on Smashwords for two reasons.

One is their meatgrinder technology that formats a book so that it can be sold on every platform. I know other people have no problem getting their ms ready for the meatgrinder, but it just didn't work for me.

The other reason is the low level of sales. Some people do very well. Some people brag about how many free downloads they've had.

All that being said, I may try my two novelettes on Smashwords. I'll just be sure to have several backups of the original ms. Confused

M.
Historical Fiction/Romance by Margaret Lake http://www.tinyurl.com/malakeuk
Ariana's Pride
Catherine and the Captain
Listen to Your Heart
Of Love and War a novelette
Only In My Dreams a novelette
Sweet Savage Charity a novelette
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
15 Nov 2010, 03:08 PM | Post: #7

Keen kuffer

Thanked 67 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 15 Nov 2010 03:10 PM by LexiRevellian.
I think you may be being sensible, Margaret. I worked very hard to get the formatting right on Smashwords; I uploaded and checked thirteen times. The problem is, you get it right for one format, and it's not right in another. I thought it was perfect, and Simon recently told me one passage in Chapter 21 is in italics in the format he read it in (not sure which that was).

Re the free download thing - it's very easy to give your book away free on Smashwords. I did initially, in the hope of getting noticed and getting the odd review. I shifted hundreds, but have no way of knowing if most of those downloads were read or not. I did get some nice reviews, but they didn't result in many sales.

I'd love to know how those authors who DO sell on Smashwords manage it. Anyone?
Offline Margaret Lake Reading Matchmaker 2.0
16 Nov 2010, 04:29 AM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I keep toying with the idea, Lexi. Then I remember what happened to the first one I tried when I hit the delete all formats button and I panic.

On the other hand, there's always the chance Amazon may do another freebie frenzy of 99 cent books that also appear on Smashwords.

The only nice thing about being on Smashwords is the coupons that can be used to participate in OEBD.
Historical Fiction/Romance by Margaret Lake http://www.tinyurl.com/malakeuk
Ariana's Pride
Catherine and the Captain
Listen to Your Heart
Of Love and War a novelette
Only In My Dreams a novelette
Sweet Savage Charity a novelette
Offline plumboz Reading Wonder Boys
16 Nov 2010, 05:49 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Good point, Margaret. I appreciate being with Smashwords if for no other reason than it allows me to participate in Operation EBook Drop. It's a great program and I hope my book has helped some soldiers pass the time with a smile.

Yes, the percent earnings from Smashwords is better than Amazon, especially for those of us who have kept our price below $2.99, the point at which Amazon US starts paying 70% instead of 35%. At this point I would not want to give up Smashwords, Amazon or Barnes and Noble, which unfortunately is US only. Right now I am happy, and somewhat surprised, to say that for two months in a row Amazon UK is doing the best for me, with Barnes and Noble close behind.

And when those Troop Coupons are redeemed on Smashwords, well, that's a really good day.
Best,
Alan Hutcheson
author of Boomerang
Boomerang at Amazon
Offline Simon Royle
24 Nov 2010, 11:11 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

(15 Nov 2010 03:08 PM)LexiRevellian Wrote:  Simon recently told me one passage in Chapter 21 is in italics in the format he read it in (not sure which that was).

It was mobi Lexi. Not italics it was all bold. I agree with everyone here about SW. I think over time they'll be forced to revise their 'meatgrinder' approach. Several authors are now saying the same thing.

That coupled with their problem of having Kobo discounting which then causes Amazon to discount is another reason authors are staying away.

What is doing well is Pubit. Lot of people reporting good things from there. No reason to go through SW either - just go direct.

Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Domes of Fire Last Book I Read:The Sapphire Rose Favourite Genres:
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Crime/Thriller, Mystery, Comedy
Currently Reading:Matchmaker 2.0 Last Book I Read:Borrowed Time by M.A. Miller Favourite Genres:mystery, historical fiction, historical romance
Currently Reading:Wonder Boys Last Book I Read:The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay Favourite Genres:Well written stuffFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations