Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

First Charge?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Sylar
25 Apr 2012, 06:11 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

First Charge?

Hi everyone now have my Kindle loving it was just going to ask about "first charging" it are you suppose to have like some laptops charge it right away or charge it before it runs out or what nothing in the user guide i can see.
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
25 Apr 2012, 06:20 PM | Post: #2

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

RE: First Charge?

Most gadgets say to fully charge before using, and I generally to this a rule. Charging the battery up helps to calibrate it in most cases. There's no reason not to fiddle with it while it's charging though Smile
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline Sylar
25 Apr 2012, 07:02 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

(25 Apr 2012 06:20 PM)Lou Wrote:  Most gadgets say to fully charge before using, and I generally to this a rule. Charging the battery up helps to calibrate it in most cases. There's no reason not to fiddle with it while it's charging though Smile

Well some do as a gadget geek ill tell you some dont. Hope I have not damaged the ablity to retain charge by using it first I mean its its important one wonders why its not in the user guide.
Offline Leelee Reading Sweet Temptation by Lucy Diamond
25 Apr 2012, 07:09 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Mine arrived on Monday and was waiting for me when I got home for lunch. It was half charged already, but since I had to go back to work I managed to restrain myself and leave it at home charging.
Leigh
Offline Sylar
25 Apr 2012, 07:26 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

This post was last modified: 25 Apr 2012 07:28 PM by Sylar.
Ill just leave this chat log here it might be of use to the forum do excuse my bad spellings. EDIT: Note this is a raw chat log dump thus no formatting but basically no matter what you do as long as on its first charge you dont stop it charging it wont do anything different to the battery. Cool.

You are now connected to Rebecca from Amazon.co.uk.
Me:I am wondering after reading the user guide what the offical battery charging advice is, do I charge it first off, wait till it runs down or doesnt it matter?20:12:32
Me:Very confused on this and dont want to damage the battery life of my new kindle.20:13:14
Rebecca:Hello, my name is Rebecca. Of course, I understand your concern.20:13:44
Rebecca:It doesn't matter, but I would advise to charge it fully the first time, until the light goes green.20:14:08
Me:Are you sure? Some people on the unoffical kindle forum seem to think you need to charge it before you do anything else but i used it... came partly charged.20:15:13
Me:Seems to be some confusion on this with limited information on amazons website and in the guides or paper documentation.20:16:02
Rebecca:Sorry, just to clarify, that is what I meant.20:16:30
Rebecca:I would advise that you charge it fully the first time before you use the device.20:16:46
Rebecca:It is not a requirement by no means, but with most electronic devices that is what they would suggest.20:17:11
Me:Does this mean my battery now has a reduced charge hold?20:17:36
Me:Because most electonic devices state so if recomended20:18:02
Rebecca:No, it wont mean that. That used to be the case a few years back with mobile phones etc. 20:18:47
Rebecca:If you want to use the Kindle now before you charge it it will not affect the device.20:19:03
Rebecca:It is a common misconception due to previous instructions. 20:19:38
Me:Ah ok becuase I have...20:19:45
Me:But then why is it "recomended"?20:20:19
Rebecca:Just to get the most enjoyment out of the device when it is first received without having to stop to charge it. I was the same also. I can assure you that your device is covered by a warranty. If you do notice the battery life is reduced for whatever reason we can replace the Kindle for you. 20:20:58
MeConfusedo what you would state for amazon is that as long as you fully charge it when you first plug it in this is ok pior charge or otherwise is irrelevent?20:21:35
Rebecca:Sorry, I am not quite sure what you mean?20:22:35
MeConfusedo what you would state for Amazon is that as long as you fully charge it when you first plug it in this is OK prior charge or otherwise is irrelevant?20:23:53
Me:As long as you fully charge it at its first charge it doesnt matter when you charge it right out of the box or when it runs down.20:24:21
Rebecca:Exactly. It wont effect the device.20:24:39
Me:Thank you!20:24:46
Rebecca:No problem at all.20:24:50
Rebecca:Is there anything else I can help you with?20:24:58
Me:Nope im very happy!20:25:02
Rebecca:Great!20:25:10
Rebecca:I hope you have a nice evening!20:25:17
Rebecca:We hope to see you again soon! Please click the "End Chat" link to close this window.
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
25 Apr 2012, 08:38 PM | Post: #6

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

Thanks Sylar. Guess that clears it up Smile
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline Sylar
25 Apr 2012, 09:38 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

(25 Apr 2012 08:38 PM)Lou Wrote:  Thanks Sylar. Guess that clears it up Smile

A little odd I know but I guess the Kindle is more modern than we think, figured I should have asked Amazon would have been a little peeved if I had damaged its battery or reduced its capacity feel free to highlight or whatever anything you think in the chat log might be useful to other forum users.
Offline George Hamilton
25 Apr 2012, 10:24 PM | Post: #8

Posting Freak

Thanked 52 times

What I Read

Sylar, you sound like someone who likes to rush into things. I should be picking up my Kindle Touch tomorrow, and I will not be consummating our relationship until she is fully charged and ready to go. Big Grin
Offline Sylar
25 Apr 2012, 11:50 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

(25 Apr 2012 10:24 PM)George Hamilton Wrote:  Sylar, you sound like someone who likes to rush into things. I should be picking up my Kindle Touch tomorrow, and I will not be consummating our relationship until she is fully charged and ready to go. Big Grin

Ha ha ha amusing! Well at least that clears up that it wont damage the relationship! But yer might as well fully charge if u can wait it was my first love ah hem kindle i mean...! Kindle Smile
Offline George Hamilton
26 Apr 2012, 05:29 AM | Post: #10

Posting Freak

Thanked 52 times

What I Read

It's my first kindle too, Sylar. I've been using kindle for pc in the meantime, but I think I'll get more reading done now. Enjoy yours.

Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Sweet Temptation by Lucy Diamond Last Book I Read:Missing by Karen Alvtegen Favourite Genres:A Little Bit Of Most ThingsFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations