Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

KINDLE Impossible : Kindle apps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Mike French Reading
20 Apr 2012, 04:45 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

KINDLE Impossible : Kindle apps

Had no idea until I ran a facebook promotion for my novel The Ascent of Isaac Steward called KINDLE Impossible ...

http://www.facebook.com/events/290557334356524/

that people who don't have a Kindle can still buy the Kindle book if they download the free kindle apps for the PC, MAC, BLACKBERRY, ANDROID, IPHONE, IPAD etc.

Here's a pic of someone in the States who did this and stuck it on his phone ...

[Image: 542182_3719902164822_1493839604_33262960...7293_n.jpg]

Anyone else use these apps?
Mike

[Image: 41LX%2BWJfNNL._SX115_.jpg]
Blue Friday

"Great satire on the modern obsession with a work/life balance."
JUXTABOOK
Offline Baggins Reading Stonewylde series and cant wait for the next book
22 Apr 2012, 11:33 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: KINDLE Impossible : Kindle apps

Oh I must be getting old.
Can you really read when it's that small
Stonewylde..... There's no escape
22 Apr 2012, 01:23 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(22 Apr 2012 11:33 AM)Baggins Wrote:  Oh I must be getting old.
Can you really read when it's that small

Apparently: he seems to be reading it on his phone from what he's said even though he read the paper version of the book last year.
Mike

Blue Friday

JUXTABOOK
Offline carryonvending Reading An Officer & a Spy - Robert Harris
22 Apr 2012, 01:34 PM | Post: #4

The Right Honourable PunMeister

Thanked 8 times

What I Read

As Homer Simpson would say "DOH"
The inventor of predictive text has died.

His funfair will be hello on Sundial.
22 Apr 2012, 01:43 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(22 Apr 2012 01:34 PM)carryonvending Wrote:  As Homer Simpson would say "DOH"

Of course what you can't tell from the picture is that he has a really big phone and huge hands.
Mike

Blue Friday

JUXTABOOK
Offline frogplate Reading The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson
22 Apr 2012, 03:00 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(20 Apr 2012 04:45 PM)Mike French Wrote:  Anyone else use these apps?

One of the beauties of the Kindle ecosystem for me is that it is platform-agnostic and it supports a wide range of screen technologies and sizes. A six inch eInk screen isn't always the most convenient way to read.

I bought my first few Kindle books five months before I purchased a Kindle and I continue to regularly use the iOS and Android apps to read books. In fact some books are easier to read on my Android phone than they are on the Kindle Keyboard. For example code listings in the programming text book I'm reading at the moment are rendered quite poorly on the Kindle. However they appear much more crisp and are easier to zoom and scroll on the phone.

The latest apps provide a better interface to books stored in the cloud than the older Kindles and I've had absolutely no problem reading on a number of different phones. In fact I was first introduced to ebooks by the Palm Vx around the turn of the century and that has a screen half the size of my phone.

The only disadvantage I've found so far is a tendency for me to swipe the screen of the Kindle Keyboard to turn pages...

Cheers,

Jonathan
22 Apr 2012, 03:35 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

Having mentioned the Palm Vx I got curious and had a dig around on my much battered Palm Tungsten. I had three eReader apps on the PDA - CSpotRun, Plucker and TiBR. I remember reading all of the Sherlock Holmes stories on it and "The War of the Worlds"...

[Image: DSCF3972.jpg]

The slight difference in the font size is probably due to a phone or PDA normally being held a little closer to the face than an eReader.

Cheers,

Jonathan
22 Apr 2012, 04:48 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(22 Apr 2012 03:35 PM)frogplate Wrote:  Having mentioned the Palm Vx I got curious and had a dig around on my much battered Palm Tungsten. I had three eReader apps on the PDA - CSpotRun, Plucker and TiBR. I remember reading all of the Sherlock Holmes stories on it and "The War of the Worlds"...

[Image: DSCF3972.jpg]

The slight difference in the font size is probably due to a phone or PDA normally being held a little closer to the face than an eReader.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Interestingly your picture shows a problem with Kindle's autoindenting coding - which means you have to upload the book with code forcing the Kindle not to indent the first line of a new chapter.
Mike

Blue Friday

JUXTABOOK
22 Apr 2012, 07:00 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

That's interesting. I hadn't actually noticed, but now you point it out...

Both copies of the book were formatted by Project Gutenberg - though about eight years apart and to different formats.

Cheers,

Jonathan
23 Apr 2012, 05:34 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(22 Apr 2012 07:00 PM)frogplate Wrote:  That's interesting. I hadn't actually noticed, but now you point it out...

Both copies of the book were formatted by Project Gutenberg - though about eight years apart and to different formats.

Cheers,

Jonathan

There are quite a few little quirks like that with Kindle - when my novel was first uploaded by my publisher the format and layout was a right mess - fortunately it was relaunched on Kindle last week and now looks all shiny!
Mike

Blue Friday

JUXTABOOK

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:Fragmented by Jeremy Worman Favourite Genres:Literary
Currently Reading:Stonewylde series and cant wait for the next book Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:An Officer & a Spy - Robert Harris Last Book I Read:Heart Of Darkness - Joseph Conrad Favourite Genres:Thrillers & SciFi
Currently Reading:The Luck of Han’anga - Thomas Watson Last Book I Read:The Mongoliad, Book 3 Favourite Genres:Cyberpunk, Hard Sci-Fi, European DetectiveFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations