Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Bookclub: The Discussion of Bang: Memoirs of a Relationship Assassin (spoilers)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Susanne Reading The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson
14 Apr 2012, 06:37 AM | Post: #1

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Offline davidwailing Reading The Atholl Expedition by Alex Roddie
14 Apr 2012, 02:12 PM | Post: #2

Auto

Thanked 264 times

What I Read

RE: Bookclub: The Discussion of Bang: Memoirs of a Relationship Assassin (spoilers)

Tumbleweed
[Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51yKbM97VgL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51ZjjH2Tn9L._SL95.jpg] 

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline Chitma Reading
14 Apr 2012, 03:14 PM | Post: #3

Veteran Member

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

RE: Bookclub: The Discussion of Bang: Memoirs of a Relationship Assassin (spoilers)

This post was last modified: 14 Apr 2012 03:21 PM by Chitma.
OK... I read this book ages ago and sorry but my tbr is soooo long that i havent got round to re-reading it...
but I do remember the one thing that really stood out for me with this book and that was the accuracy and attention to detail of the characterisation... so much so that in my review I did wonder how much people watching David did...

The other main thing I want to say about this and indeed, all the other books/stories David has written is that they are all, for me, very easy reads. That is not to say that they have no substance, far from it, I mean that i get so totally lost in the wonderful stories and characters, that time simply runs away from me. Due to various concentration issues I have, this rarely happens as my mind wanders about all over the place...

And the best bit for me was the wonderful trip down 80s music memory lane... made me right smile with personal memory links...

Sorry I haven't said much about the story, but as I said I read it in January... but the above things are what have stayed with me... If I get chance I will give it a re-read, but I can't promise to...
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
14 Apr 2012, 03:22 PM | Post: #4

Official KUF Reviewer and Interrogator

Thanked 134 times

What I Read

I'm half way back through re-reading it (as my memory is dreadful, I can't remember the details of a book after I've read it, often while I'm reading it Big Grin )
I completely agree with your "ease of reading" comments. The other book I'm reading is not holding me so much with the actual writing, the story is interesting enough and I want to read it to the end, but sometimes you just aren't gripped. But with David's books, you are in there and hours have past and you are dying for a cuppa and a pee.
Young hedgehogs need fattening up for winter now, so put some water and seeds out for them, they'll reward you with a calling card.  
While you are at it, water and feed the birds too. Thumbs Up And come and talk about it at GardenWildlifeUK
Offline Kew Reading Black Butterflies by Sara Alexi
14 Apr 2012, 03:54 PM | Post: #5

Veteran Member

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

I enjoyed reading this book too, and can agree with Joo's comment that you get caught up in the story. I usually read my kindle for a while when I first wake up; one morning I was reading this book and before I knew it hubby was saying goodbye and rushing out of the door - I'd read for over an hour without realising it!

I find people interesting and so enjoy books with complex characters. It was fascinating to find out why Scott was the way that he was and how his past had moulded him. I loved the character of Becky and was sad that they couldn't stay together, but I did enjoy the way that his professional relationship with Emma matured so that they became a team, that he found an ally there.

I thought that the story was very well written.

:0)
Reading Kindle

Drinking tea and reading my kindle, my two favourite occupations!
Offline LorraineArndell Reading The Mutilation Machination By Shaun Jeffrey
14 Apr 2012, 04:27 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I loved it, it was fun, it was light, it was emotional and it was totally credible although our friend Scott here seemed to have a problem keeping away from trouble !

Oh... is that a bunny lurking behind the mug at the bottom of the page?
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
14 Apr 2012, 05:19 PM | Post: #7

Official KUF Reviewer and Interrogator

Thanked 134 times

What I Read

It was light, mostly, but there were some "darker" bits. Like when he's Andy and when Becky had got the photos.
Young hedgehogs need fattening up for winter now, so put some water and seeds out for them, they'll reward you with a calling card.  
While you are at it, water and feed the birds too. Thumbs Up And come and talk about it at GardenWildlifeUK
Offline LorraineArndell Reading The Mutilation Machination By Shaun Jeffrey
14 Apr 2012, 05:30 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I cried Joo. I don't want to think about that.
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
15 Apr 2012, 08:53 AM | Post: #9

Super Moderator

Thanked 129 times

What I Read

I have just finished reading this and thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were very diverse, I love John who I classed as the loveable rogue, but when Andy came into the story, he was a totally different kettle of fish. I love the way we learnt about Scotts past and the reasons for some of his behaviour.
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline B J Burton Reading Complete Works of H P Lovecraft
15 Apr 2012, 10:16 AM | Post: #10

Keyboard Worrier

Thanked 46 times

What I Read

The great thing about book clubs is that they oblige me to read books that I would never have chosen for myself. This is one of those books. The basic theme (an individual earning a living by breaking up relationships) felt uncomfortably unpalatable and for that reason it's not a book I would have opted to read.
That feeling of reluctance persisted for a couple of chapters, but then the tale really took off and rattled along at a great pace, carrying me with it.
I found strong characterisation, convincing dialogue, surprising twists and turns, and a use of language that is simply stunning. There are a couple of things in the plot that didn't quite work for me, and I was slightly disappointed at the end to find that 'Scott' had settled back into his 'unpalatable' career, but that only put a minor dent into the enjoyment.
David, you're an exceptionally talented writer. I'll be seeking out your other books.
Occasional author - compulsive reader

[Image: 51ZhtjNV5SL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41yFegpI0yL._SL95.jpg]

http://www.bjburton.co.uk

Currently Reading:The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson Last Book I Read:The Summer Son by Craig Lancaster Favourite Genres:contemporary fiction, literary fiction, crime/thriller,Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Atholl Expedition by Alex Roddie Last Book I Read:21st Century Dodos by Steve Stack Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Action, Crime, BonkersFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Black Butterflies by Sara Alexi Last Book I Read:The Illegal Gardener by Sara Alexi Favourite Genres:Classics, historical, romance, mystery, memoirsFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Mutilation Machination By Shaun Jeffrey Last Book I Read:The Book Thief Favourite Genres:Horror ! Give me gore and I'm a happy bunny !Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Complete Works of H P Lovecraft Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy. Historical. Biography.