Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

The Desolate Garden by Danny Kemp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline McDroll Reading Douglas Lindsay The Last Fish Supper
12 Apr 2012, 07:31 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

The Desolate Garden by Danny Kemp

Hi everyone! I'd like to share my latest review with you, the amazing Desolate Garden by London cabby Danny Kemp.

The Desolate Garden
The magic of a book never fails to amaze me and The Desolate Garden by Daniel Kemp is certainly a book that will live in my memory for a long time. I know Danny from various Facebook groups he inhabits and I know how excited he was when his book finally hit the streets. Mr. Kemp is a very jolly and friendly London cabby, very generous with his friendship and always has a kind and encouraging word to say to other writers.

I had promised to read his book and I was desperately hoping that I'd enjoy it because, let's be honest, it's rather embarrassing to find out after the first couple of pages that actually your friend's book is a pile of horse manure!

So it was with great trepidation that I launched forward into the tale of Sir Harry Paterson and the mysterious death of his father. The great news is...I was totally blown away. Here is a book that isn't just good but actually rather awesome, reminding me of the early 20th century literature of John Buchan and The Thirty-Nine Steps. I had to keep reminding myself that The Desolate Garden is set in contemporary London, for the most part, it has such an evocative feel of bygone times when manners and respect were expectations rather than a surprise.

The story flows along at quite a lick. Harry's father and brother have been killed in suspicious circumstances. Turns out the family has been involved in espionage for many years and Harry, as he delves into his family's history, makes startling discoveries leading to a serious threat to his own life.

To find out what happens, you must read The Desolate Garden for yourself. The history of the 20th century is at the heart of the book and ranges from the Russian Revolution to the Suez Crisis. Every event that is mentioned is closely linked to the plot and characters in such a seamless and brilliant manner, helping to build up the complex and tangled web of espionage that Harry finds himself wrapped up in!

The Desolate Garden is a thriller, a romance and historical fiction all wrapped up in one highly entertaining package. I'm curious to find out where Mr. Kemp's next project will take me but I'll be there, bag packed and ready to go!

Meet the Author

I heard a phrase in my head, 'Tell me a joke,' she said. From that introduction I crafted The Desolate Garden. I use the word crafted deliberately, as I came to find that it is indeed a craft to write, one in which you improve the more you do it. There is still room in my head for improvement, particularly with punctuation, but I’m loving looking inside it to find the tools, editors being an essential one.

I’ve fallen in love with writing and want to spend every waking hour developing characters into believable, tangible objects that leap from a page and say, 'Hello, this is me, do I know you?”' I love not knowing where the story wants to take me, sometimes having to adjust what’s gone before to achieve that end that is always beckoning but never reached until you’re closing in and the structure has been laid and built upon.

I’m currently working on a third novel Mitzy Collins, a moralistic tale of how the death of a sixteen year old girl impacts on all that knew her as well as ‘Mitzy’ who didn’t, but knew all those who tried to cover up the truth. The story is told from a third person perspective, her dead twin brother, who got caught up in the conspiracy and paid the ultimate price, death.
Offline Susanne Reading The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson
13 Apr 2012, 11:29 AM | Post: #2

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

RE: The Desolate Garden by Danny Kemp

Hi McDroll. I've moved your thread to the Reviews by Members section. Smile
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Offline McDroll Reading Douglas Lindsay The Last Fish Supper
13 Apr 2012, 12:18 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: The Desolate Garden by Danny Kemp

(13 Apr 2012 11:29 AM)Susanne Wrote:  Hi McDroll. I've moved your thread to the Reviews by Members section. Smile

Thanks Susanne! I'll find my way around eventually!

Fiona

Currently Reading:Douglas Lindsay The Last Fish Supper Last Book I Read:The Desolate Garden Daniel Kemp Favourite Genres:Crime Noir Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson Last Book I Read:The Summer Son by Craig Lancaster Favourite Genres:contemporary fiction, literary fiction, crime/thriller,Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations