Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Amazon Preparing for UK / International Kindle Fire Launch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline KUF Editorial
05 Apr 2012, 03:57 PM | Post: #1

News From KUF

Thanked 0 times

Amazon Preparing for UK / International Kindle Fire Launch

Hot of the press is news that Amazon are actively preparing content and distribution rights for an international Kindle Fire release.

Anthony Bay of Amazon told conference goers, "if you're not talking to us, you should be" and then went on to hint at a European and subsequent international launch of the Kindle Fire in the very near future, "The Kindle team would describe it as a content-forward strategy. When you turn on the Kindle, it goes right to the books. And when you turn on the Kindle Fire, it goes right to whatever you’ve been watching or listening to.” 45% of Amazon’s revenue now comes outside of the US".

So, still now official release date, but we now know that they're taking non US customers seriously and are making progress in overcoming the various hurdles associated with licensing content across multiple territories.
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
05 Apr 2012, 06:09 PM | Post: #2

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

RE: Amazon Preparing for UK / International Kindle Fire Launch

That's good, Lou. I hope when the Kindle Fire comes here, Amazon Prime customers will be able to borrow ebooks as they can in America.

In March, Amazon paid authors $2.18 per borrow - nice Shy
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Talli Roland Reading
09 Apr 2012, 05:15 PM | Post: #3

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

I'm with Lexi! Those Kindle borrows account for a nice chunk of my US earnings now.
Offline carryonvending Reading An Officer & a Spy - Robert Harris
09 Apr 2012, 07:40 PM | Post: #4

The Right Honourable PunMeister

Thanked 9 times

What I Read

(09 Apr 2012 05:15 PM)Talli Roland Wrote:  I'm with Lexi! Those Kindle borrows account for a nice chunk of my US earnings now.

I want APPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPs

Lou & I (plus others) have waited long enough
You can tell the sex of an ant by dropping it into a jug of water.
If it sinks: girl ant
If it floats: boy ant
Offline Dom Worsley
21 Apr 2012, 11:10 AM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

When Amazon launch the kf over here, does anyone know if I'll be able to use my kf that I got from the States?
---
Offline Lesley-Ann Reading
21 Apr 2012, 11:20 AM | Post: #6

Professional Aunty

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I got fed up waiting TBH, and bought a HTC Flyer a while ago, but it would depend on the apps available and the cost of both them and device that would tip the scales for me to even get me to consider buying a KF now.

I refuse to add any money details to the Android Market so I can only download free apps which is fine for me TBH, with Amazon I feel more confident in buying content especially as I can simply 'top up' my Amazon account with gift vouchers which allow me to budget my spending habits better than just charging a card/account does. It works great for my ebook buying habit.

So content, price of content and price of device will have to be 'just right' to tempt me to be 100% honest. Also I know that you can download the Amazon App Store on Android, or at least you were able to because I had it on my first cheap brick of Android tablet although I couldn't buy/download content being outside the US. So if you could download any app through the app store without a KF onto an Android Tablet I wouldn't really *need* to use a KF to access the apps I wanted.

I'll be watching with interest to see exactly how this all shakes out.

What can I say, I really like my apps!! Big Grin
Reading Kindle Veteran Digital Reader.
Offline leep
25 Apr 2012, 05:30 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 15 times

I think it's still a way off yet. The Fire's success is based on three 'prongs' -- ebooks, streaming music & streaming video.

The Lovefilm Android app doesn't offer streaming yet and presumably that's the way Amazon will go rather than create a new service as it did in the US.

There's no streaming music service yet, though this shouldn't be too hard to deploy.

When those two are in place, then perhaps we'll see the Fire. Before then it's just an inferior ebook reader.
[Image: 41b1WpC7L5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ibvqKEBFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51XqLx%2BhxIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51g%2BiINoLAL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 6117LLScjrL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41H6AeNw4QL._SL95_.jpg]
Offline Grace Elliot Reading Demelza.
25 Apr 2012, 06:14 PM | Post: #8

Grace Elliot

Thanked 30 times

What I Read

I had an email from Amazon yesterday announcing the Fire was available to pre-order!
So excited, although my birthday isnt until October and I dont NEED a Fire...all the same...
[Image: 5140ZyNAkWL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51K00gbdUaL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 511aZHnc8YL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51naRtTfXnL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ZqtQvpuCL._SX75.jpg]  [Image: 51lr69x4JNL._SL95.jpg]

Fall in Love with History http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com
Offline leep
26 Apr 2012, 07:50 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 15 times

You sure that wasn't the Touch?

Nowhere can I find anyone else suggesting the Fire is imminent, in fact the current rumour is whether Amazon will launch the Fire 2 into the UK, bypassing the original Fire altogether (bit like the original Kindle, we didn't get it until version 3 I think).
[Image: 41b1WpC7L5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41ibvqKEBFL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51XqLx%2BhxIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51g%2BiINoLAL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 6117LLScjrL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41H6AeNw4QL._SL95_.jpg]
Offline carryonvending Reading An Officer & a Spy - Robert Harris
26 Apr 2012, 08:09 PM | Post: #10

The Right Honourable PunMeister

Thanked 9 times

What I Read
You can tell the sex of an ant by dropping it into a jug of water.
If it sinks: girl ant
If it floats: boy ant

Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Commercial fiction
Currently Reading:An Officer & a Spy - Robert Harris Last Book I Read:Heart Of Darkness - Joseph Conrad Favourite Genres:Thrillers & SciFi
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Romance / Paranormal / True Crime
Currently Reading:Demelza. Last Book I Read:Ross Poldark. Favourite Genres:Historical romance.