Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Try before you buy - John Lewis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline ChrisJ
04 Nov 2010, 09:05 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Try before you buy - John Lewis

If you are the sort of person who wants to try a device before they buy it, you now can.
If you want to show your other half what it is you want for Christmas, you now can.
If you are shopping on the High St and want to sit down, put your feet up, and read a book: you now can!Thumbs Up

See here: Kindle at John Lewis
Offline Helen Smith Reading Londoners by Craig Taylor
04 Nov 2010, 07:07 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: Try before you buy - John Lewis

Thanks for that, Chris. I didn't realise they were now selling kindles at John Lewis.
Offline Matt Reading The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
04 Nov 2010, 07:18 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I'm surprised Kindles are sold anywhere other than Amazon! Do you think they'll be sold through other outlets in the future?
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
04 Nov 2010, 07:27 PM | Post: #4

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

I would guess probably it's an exclusive deal with JL at the moment. Perhaps in future they may, but I don't think it would be widespread - maybe a couple of other big chains. I notice that JL are not allowed to sell it online.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
04 Nov 2010, 07:31 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Yeah, I noticed that too. I can see why Amazon have done it. They want to bring in the customers that don't/won't/can't purchase goods online. Maximizing the market I suppose you'd call it.
Offline snowdog99
04 Nov 2010, 08:43 PM | Post: #6

I know where my towel is.

Thanked 0 times

(04 Nov 2010 07:31 PM)Matt Wrote:  They want to bring in the customers that don't/won't/can't purchase goods online.

Those people might have a bit of a problem with content for a Kindle.
04 Nov 2010, 09:16 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

That's a very good point. Perhaps they have "suspect" means of getting their books or perhaps they'll only read the free classics. It's all speculation obviously.
Offline Lesley-Ann Reading
05 Nov 2010, 11:00 AM | Post: #8

Professional Aunty

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

It might also be a bait and hook from Amazon. For those who have access to the internet buy a wifi Kindle and register for free at Amazon and get access to all these freebies plus thousands of other ebook available for purchase. And for those who don't want to have or can't have internet access buy a 3G Kindle and connect to Amazon direct for download/purchase of ebooks. Also with a basic webkit browser for sampling what you can do online.

A way to get to those who might not have access due to circumstances. Like students away from home without access online, also a way to get readers who don't go online or are confused by computers/internet as a whole.

I know a couple of brick and mortar stores do this for Amazon in the US I'm just surprised stores over here are getting to do this so soon, it was suggested on some board somewhere because they were a lot of those who were dithering about buying a Kindle and wanted to see it in the flesh so to speak. At the time everyone thought it might be a least several months to a year before Amazon allowed any physical store to stock them here.

The main reason I think is that readers are being suggested as the big Christmas wish list item this year. It's a way to entice new customers to their ereader, which wouldn't normally think of Amazon when shopping, especially with Christmas coming up and a lot of other readers turning up in stores. Including Sony's newer models which are all in store now. They can't take a chance by being only available online from them with the surge in popularity. They seem to be maximising their options of coming off the top reader that will be bought this Christmas.
Reading Kindle Veteran Digital Reader.
Offline kaska Reading Song of Jikhoshi by Katie W Stewart
15 Nov 2010, 06:33 AM | Post: #9

A Student of Life

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

Its good to see the kindle at John Lewis. They have a great customer service, had i not already got a kindle i would have purchased one from them.

A friend of mine purchased an ipod from John Lewis & accidently dropped it down the loo { she forgot it was tucked into the waistband of her trousers .... you get the picture} she'd had it just a couple weeks then but couldnt live without it & rang them to order another explaining what had happened & they sent her a new one free of charge!

I too ordered a freezer from them. It arrived with a tiny scratch in the lid { about 2cm} I said it didnt matter {it was going in a shed}. The installer rang JL & within minutes i received a call from them offering a replacement or £50 discount.
Their service really is second to none. Thumbs Up

I would feel perfectly secure with purchasing a kindle from JL.
Offline ChrisJ
15 Nov 2010, 09:18 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

I wonder if Amazon chose John Lewis rather than some other store / chain to offer the Kindle BECAUSE of the stories of their customer service?
They both feel as though they care about their customers and try to give them what they want.

Currently Reading:Londoners by Craig Taylor Last Book I Read:The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen Favourite Genres:
Currently Reading:The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith Last Book I Read:The Light Between Oceans - M.L. Stedman Favourite Genres:|Non-Fic||Thrillers||Mystery|
Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Romance / Paranormal / True Crime
Currently Reading:Song of Jikhoshi by Katie W Stewart Last Book I Read:As Far as my Feet Will Carry me by By Josef M Bauer Favourite Genres:I don't do Horror, Romance or vampires.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations