Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

CreateSpace and UK authors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline lyndawrites Reading The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars
28 Jan 2012, 10:09 AM | Post: #1

Comma Abuser

Thanked 103 times

What I Read

CreateSpace and UK authors

Good morning.

Does anyone know whether CreateSpace is open to UK authors and whether it distributes to Amazon.co.uk, please?
[Image: 51WAa-2HmoL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51OHQsDRHwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fpdh2GGlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hPHc37EWL._SL95.jpg]
Online Stu Ayris Reading Dishwasher by Pete Jordan
28 Jan 2012, 10:16 AM | Post: #2

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 41 times

What I Read

RE: CreateSpace and UK authors

(28 Jan 2012 10:09 AM)lyndawrites Wrote:  Good morning.

Does anyone know whether CreateSpace is open to UK authors and whether it distributes to Amazon.co.uk, please?

Hi!

I went all the way through putting my book onto createspace, was about to publish it when I saw it doesn't appear on amazon.co.uk, just amazon.com - so I didn't bother in the end. So yes, it is open to UK authors but doesn't appear on the UK site. Saying that, I may be completely wrong - I hope I am because it looks like a great service!

Stu
Offline cecilia_writer Reading The Chocolate Egg Murders by David W, Robinson
28 Jan 2012, 10:30 AM | Post: #3

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 111 times

What I Read

I've always had the impression that Create Space wouldn't work for UK authors but it is really useful to know exactly why it wouldn't, so thanks Lynda for starting this thread and thanks Stu for replying.
I've been trying to work out how to get printed books out there, and have actually got mine for sale on Lulu, but really that's so that I can order copies from them for proof-reading or giving away to friends. You can get them on to amazon.co.uk from there in a couple of different ways but there seems to be a massive mark-up which would make the retail prices ridiculously high.
[Image: 51J0%2BT-LTfL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51K8-HuETSL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51YpqGWdwgL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51%2Bkvr3dCwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 510SJwAwUxL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51FBLv-C5kL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51HTHJGCN6L._SL95.jpg][Image: 61DsyMW96CL._SL95.jpg]
Offline TresaC Reading The Cult of Me by Michael Brookes
28 Jan 2012, 11:21 AM | Post: #4

Accidental Agent!

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

Hi All,

I've used Lightning Source. Pretty easy to set up. There are set up fees (around £60) but they are extremely helpful and deal with queries promptly.

They are owned by Ingram so you can get global distribution. In fact I have recently signed off a book and it is already listed on all Amazon sites!
http://www.lightningsource.com if anyone wants a look at their set up.
[Image: 513iuQGtPpL._SX75.jpg][Image: 518-qu3OR4L._SX75.jpg][Image: 51OXGLOP51L._SX75.jpg][Image: 51b3hkSIrLL._SX75.jpg][Image: 51esTSU2IbL._SX75.jpg][Image: 41NiZo10xUL._SX75.jpg]
FBS Publishing "Make reading an activity, not a time filler."
Offline lyndawrites Reading The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars
29 Jan 2012, 06:44 AM | Post: #5

Comma Abuser

Thanked 103 times

What I Read

Thanks, Stu, Cecilia and Tresa.

I'm still looking into this and spent most of yesterday evening ploughing my way through the Create Space FAQ and forums. Yes, I know it was Saturday night - just shows what a fun-filled, rivetting (social) life I lead Whistle

Unfortunately, Amazon is an American company and, like most Americans, believes that the world starts and ends at its own shores.

They will ship your book to Amazon UK but only through their Extended Distribution Channels - paying you lower royalties as a consequence. You will also need to be registered for US tax, have a US bank and a US check account! (It seems that the soi-disant 'world leaders' haven't got to grips yet with EFT or the 21st century and remain unaware that Europe - where's that? Minnesota? - is in the process of phasing out cheques altogether).

I'm now looking into Lightning Source and will report back.

PS. Sorry for the sarcasm and snark. It just seems like I wasted my time and ended up feeling like a 2nd-class citizen Sad
[Image: 51WAa-2HmoL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51OHQsDRHwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fpdh2GGlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hPHc37EWL._SL95.jpg]
Offline TresaC Reading The Cult of Me by Michael Brookes
29 Jan 2012, 04:14 PM | Post: #6

Accidental Agent!

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(29 Jan 2012 06:44 AM)lyndawrites Wrote:  Thanks, Stu, Cecilia and Tresa.

I'm still looking into this and spent most of yesterday evening ploughing my way through the Create Space FAQ and forums. Yes, I know it was Saturday night - just shows what a fun-filled, rivetting (social) life I lead Whistle

Unfortunately, Amazon is an American company and, like most Americans, believes that the world starts and ends at its own shores.

They will ship your book to Amazon UK but only through their Extended Distribution Channels - paying you lower royalties as a consequence. You will also need to be registered for US tax, have a US bank and a US check account! (It seems that the soi-disant 'world leaders' haven't got to grips yet with EFT or the 21st century and remain unaware that Europe - where's that? Minnesota? - is in the process of phasing out cheques altogether).

I'm now looking into Lightning Source and will report back.

PS. Sorry for the sarcasm and snark. It just seems like I wasted my time and ended up feeling like a 2nd-class citizen Sad

Chin up, Lynda, keep at it! There is also Lulu.com to look at. One of the reasons I like LS is that you can end up with distribution in all channels or just do it all your self. Wholesalers automatically order, you don't have to be involved (but obviously you do need to give a discount etc).

Lulu.com does print that on the spine or back, can't remember which. So some people don't like the fact it looks self published. LS will have their barcode on the last page but otherwise your publisher name is on the spine if you want it.

You do need to buy your own ISBNs whereas with Lulu and possibly with CS, they provide them but then you own the ISBN.

What I did find helpful was I get to deal with a real person based in the UK, I found CS very slow in answering emails etc and they were all quite generic 'thank for your enquiry' type of thing.

Keep looking, you will end up with the set up you want that way and it will be worth all the hassle! Smile
[Image: 513iuQGtPpL._SX75.jpg][Image: 518-qu3OR4L._SX75.jpg][Image: 51OXGLOP51L._SX75.jpg][Image: 51b3hkSIrLL._SX75.jpg][Image: 51esTSU2IbL._SX75.jpg][Image: 41NiZo10xUL._SX75.jpg]
FBS Publishing "Make reading an activity, not a time filler."
Offline Daphne Reading Happy Halloween
29 Jan 2012, 06:31 PM | Post: #7

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 45 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 29 Jan 2012 06:35 PM by Daphne.
(28 Jan 2012 10:09 AM)lyndawrites Wrote:  Good morning.

I can only speak from my own experience – but it is certainly possible for UK authors to publish their paperback through Createspace. The book does appear to be available through Amazon UK (with a price in sterling and dispatched from the UK) if you opt for extended distribution. An interesting point is that since the publication of my paperback in November 2011 is has appeared as directly available from Amazon UK – although today it isn’t! I believe other authors have had their CS book appear as available directly from Amazon UK, so it may be that they are experimenting with a new option. My understanding is that UK authors will be paid by cheque (dollars – but can be deposited in your normal UK bank account for a small charge as with the US Kindle sales payments). Also, I understand that we will be deducted 30% in tax until we have gone through the rigmarole of obtaining our ITIN and despatching a W-8Ben (a process I am in the middle of).
As a UK author I have been very happy to publish through Createspace. Best of luck to you, whatever publishing route you choose.Smile
Offline David George Richards Reading Buffalo Gals by Amy J. Strychasz
24 Mar 2012, 10:04 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

My experience is similar to others here.

I started with BookSurge in 2006 and they eventually became part of Createspace (both were Amazon companies). I also applied for an ITIN and submitted an W-8BEN to reduce the witholding tax. But you have to do this anyway for Smashewords, Amazon KDP, and any other US based retail site. Some sites already use Paypal, so things may change in the future with regard to the payment methods.

Apart from the extended distribution, the Createspace costs can be quite low, especially if like me you do everything yourself, and there are no logos on the cover or spine. Internally it will state Createspace as the publisher and the (free) ISBN will be one of theirs (unless you use your own). As for the books being available on Amazon UK, they are listed but usually state 'available from these retailers' or something like that. I ordered one of my books from one of these retailers (based in Southport, UK) and it came to me in Manchester within the week. I assume they download, print and bind it on site rather than getting one from the US.

I like having an actual printed version of my books, I have ten so far and only two more as ebooks only. Createspace have also improved and added some tools that let you view the book cover and interior as it would appear using your files, so you can adjust things before you decide to order a review copy (now optional).
Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
24 Mar 2012, 11:52 PM | Post: #9

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 190 times

What I Read

It looks as though you're inundated with recommendations Lynda. In case you want another, I'm a big fan of FeedARead. It's UK Arts Council Funded, so it's great for British authors.
[Image: 51POllRTK1L._SL95.jpg]
The Totally Splendid Hotshot Author's Survival Guide

Currently Reading:The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars Last Book I Read:Reunited in Death by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Mystery
Currently Reading:Dishwasher by Pete Jordan Last Book I Read:Butterfly Winter by WP Kinsella Favourite Genres:Literary FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Chocolate Egg Murders by David W, Robinson Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Cult of Me by Michael Brookes Last Book I Read:Conversations in the Abyss by Michael Brookes Favourite Genres:Thought provoking fiction/biographies of adventurous people
Currently Reading:Happy Halloween Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Buffalo Gals by Amy J. Strychasz Last Book I Read:From the Earth to the Moon & Round the Moon by Jules Verne Favourite Genres:Science-Fiction, Fantasy, Romance & any or all combinations.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Comedy; Crime, thrillers and mysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations