Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Kindle Touch FAQ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
20 Dec 2011, 05:03 PM | Post: #1

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

Kindle Touch FAQ

Kindle Touch FAQ by Kindle Users Forum

To avoid too much repetition, most of the more general questions about the Kindle, e-ink and book purchasing are covered in the Kindle General FAQ so please refer to that post for non Kindle Touch specific questions.

Q. What is the Kindle Touch

A. The Kindle Touch is the new flagship e-ink Kindle from Amazon and comes in two varieties, a Wi-Fi only model and a Wi-Fi + 3G model. The Kindle Touch uses a touch screen interface for navigating in a similar way to many tablets and phones for example the iPhone and iPad. There is a difference when using a e-ink touch screen however - because e-ink is somewhat slow to redraw its display, navigation does tend to be much slower on the Kindle Touch.

Q. Is there a user guide I can read before ordering?

A. Yes, you can download it here : http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com...

TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Q. Can I use a UK Kindle Charger or the charger from my other Kindle?

A. Yes, all Kindles use the USB standard for charging, so you can use the charger from your other Kindle or order one from Amazon.co.uk.

Q. Can you browse the web with 3G on the Kindle Touch?

Yes and No. The Kindle Touch can browse Amazon sites and Wikipedia only via 3G. All other web browsing requires a Wi-Fi connection. This is different from the Kindle Keyboard 3G which can browse any website via 3G.

Q. When I try to browse a website over 3G my Kindle Touch asks me to connect to Wi-Fi

See above.

Q How do I reboot my Kindle Touch

A. If your Kindle Touch is frozen, hold down the power button (the small square button on the bottom of the Kindle to the right of the headphone socket) for at least 20 seconds. Your Kindle Touch will then reboot. Note that the screen will go blank after just a few seconds, but you need to keep the button pressed for at least the full 20 seconds for it to work.

Otherwise, If your Kindle Touch is working, you can do the following :

1) Go to the 'Home' screen
2) Press the 'Menu' button
3) Press 'Settings'
4) From the settings screen, press 'Menu' again
5) Select 'Restart'

Q. My Kindle Touch has frozen or doesn't respond

A. You should try rebooting the Kindle fully (see above). Also, make sure that the Kindle is fully charged if it won't restart.

GENERAL USAGE QUESTIONS

Q. How do I remove a book from my Kindle Touch

A. From the home screen, press on a book and keep your finger held down for a few seconds. You should then see a menu which allows you to remove the book (called Move to Archived Items) and also manage collections.

Q. How do I view a PDF file in Landscape mode?

A. You can't do this at present on the Kindle Touch, but it may be possible when Amazon release a software update.

Q. The X-Ray feature doesn't work on my book

A. The X-Ray feature is only possible on books that have been specifically included in them so it will not work on every book.

Imported US Kindle Touch Questions

Q. Can I use a US Kindle Touch in the UK?

A. Yes, the Kindle Touch works fine in the UK (with one minor exception we'll discuss in the next question) and can easily be registered to a UK account.

Q. I've got a US Kindle Touch and it's registered to my UK account, but when I use the Cart Icon on the top menu or the Shop In Kindle Store menu item I get an error message.

A. Don't worry, this is a known problem with using an imported Kindle Touch. Instead of using these menu items, you simply need to :

1) Go to the Home Screen
2) Press the 'Menu' button at the top
3) Select 'Experimental' from the bottom of the list
4) Select 'Web Browser '
5) Go to Amazon.co.uk and order your books from there

Q. Does 3G work in the UK?

A. Yes, 3G works fine in the UK and (assuming you have a 3G Kindle Touch) will automatically connect to the 3G network when no Wi-Fi connection is available.

Q. I bought a Kindle Touch with adverts, how do I get rid of them?

A. Ordinarily you can request to have the adverts removed from your US Amazon account. If you are using a Kindle Touch in the UK, you don't have this option. Some people have had success by contacting Amazon customer services and arranging it through them direct, alternatively you can register your Kindle Touch back to the US account and do it from there. This problem should be resolved when Amazon officially launch the Kindle Touch in the UK

Q. When will the Kindle Touch be available in the UK officially?

A. The Kindle Touch is available in the UK from 27th April 2012 and may be pre-ordered.

Q. What size box does the Kindle Touch ship in

A. A single Kindle Touch box will be in the region of 22.8cm Length, 17.78cm Width, 2.54cm Height although this may vary a little bit from box to box.

That covers questions which are specific to the Kindle Touch. If you have questions about screensavers, buying and reading eBooks and PDFs or maintenance of your Kindle, please refer to the Kindle General FAQ
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
13 Jan 2012, 03:13 PM | Post: #2

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

RE: Kindle Touch FAQ

The FAQ has now been written. Feel free to suggest additions or corrections.
30 Mar 2012, 12:32 PM | Post: #3

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

RE: Kindle Touch FAQ

FAQ now updated to reflect UK release of Kindle Touch
Offline patsypat
13 Jun 2012, 06:05 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

RE: Kindle Touch FAQ How do I DELETE a book from the kindle altogether?

(13 Jan 2012 03:13 PM)Lou Wrote:  The FAQ has now been written. Feel free to suggest additions or corrections.
---

Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations