Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

What ereader for 12 yr old boy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Question What ereader for 12 yr old boy?

Hi,
I recently received a Kindle 3 and love it and so does my 12yr old son. He has bought a few ebooks with his own pocket money to read on it and I personally think that ereaders are hugely beneficial in an educational setting. I am looking at buying him his own ereader for Christmas and wanted to know if anyone had bought their kids an ereader and if so what kind and what results have they had from it.

Thanks in advance for any replies Smile
Kelly
Offline carlashmore
18 Oct 2010, 10:41 AM | Post: #2

Author of 'The Time Hunters' series

Thanked 0 times

RE: What ereader for 12 yr old boy?

I'm afraid my daughter is only one, so would much prefer a coloured sponge Smile But I think it's great that your son loves reading.
Offline Kevling Reading A bunch of samples before I make my mind up.
18 Oct 2010, 11:01 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

My 7 year old devours books like there's no tomorrow, and the bookshelf over his bed is heaving with books, so an e-reader would be perfect for him. He's good with tech too, owning both a DS and a PSP whcih he actually uses to record and edit his own videos on.

The thing I'd need to get my head is round the implication of having a second kindle on my account - ensuring he couldn't just help himself to new books, download mine etc.

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 18 Oct 2010 11:17 AM by charminglochie.
(18 Oct 2010 11:01 AM)Kevling Wrote:  My 7 year old devours books like there's no tomorrow, and the bookshelf over his bed is heaving with books, so an e-reader would be perfect for him. He's good with tech too, owning both a DS and a PSP whcih he actually uses to record and edit his own videos on.

The thing I'd need to get my head is round the implication of having a second kindle on my account - ensuring he couldn't just help himself to new books, download mine etc.

I agree that is an issue but is there a way that we can set the kindle not to remember the wifi password so if they want to connect to get a book they have to come to us to log on? That would make it easier.
(18 Oct 2010 10:41 AM)carlashmore Wrote:  I'm afraid my daughter is only one, so would much prefer a coloured sponge Smile But I think it's great that your son loves reading.

My younger son is 4yrs old and loves the ereader. I am reading the Winnie the Pooh stories to him from it at the moment and he sees it as no different to other (story as opposed to picture) books. There are a few new preschool gadgets from vtech and leapfrog which are mentioning ebooks so might look at them for his christmas. The less small bits of plastic that get received at christmas the better!!

Currently Reading: How to Hug a Porcupine : Negotiating the Prickly Points of Last Book I Read:The Stonehenge Legacy by Sam Christer Favourite Genres:Sci Fi / Fantasy
Currently Reading:A bunch of samples before I make my mind up. Last Book I Read:Drew Karpyshyn - Mass Effect: Retribution Favourite Genres:Thriller & Sci-fi