Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Bad publishers, naughty!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline licenced Reading Apocalypse Troll (David Weber)
15 Oct 2010, 08:03 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Bad publishers, naughty!

This post was last modified: 15 Oct 2010 08:14 PM by licenced.
Over in the US the 'big 5' publishers now force ebook sellers to all sell at the same, fixed, price.

This sounds like something that would be illegal in this country, with various competition and cartel laws in place. However, that's not stopping them from trying it on, and it sounds serious.

All the information we have, for now, is included in an announcement from Amazon today: link to Amazon forum announcement thread.

I must say that personally I haven't bought a 'proper' book from Amazon yet since I got my Kindle (too much free stuff around). But if the publishers manage to price fix their ebooks at a higher price than paperbacks I will find alternate means to read my favourite authors, and I won't bother buying less well known author's books from those publishers.

An article in favour of an agency (price fixing) model in the UK is here. Some valid points there, but only if the prices that are fixed are fair - i.e. the same or lower than other versions of the same book. Likely?

D
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
15 Oct 2010, 09:08 PM | Post: #2

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

RE: Bad publishers, naughty!

Very interesting links, thanks. What strikes me is that this leaves the field wide open for independent authors, who are prepared to charge less in order to gain a readership. And that's not at all what traditional publishers want...
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Lesley-Ann Reading
15 Oct 2010, 09:50 PM | Post: #3

Professional Aunty

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I caught sight of the post on the Amazon board last night and it just re-iterates my resolve not to give into the greed that some publishers seem to be experiencing.

Let's face it if I wanted to be ripped off, I certainly wouldn't pay for the pleasure.

It seems strange that publishers are trying to want to change the RRP to the this new 'agency model' on digital books but do absolutely nothing about hardback and paperback books which are often sold at a larger discount than ebooks ever are.

Let's face it, what business out there would buy from a supplier that then dictates the selling price they can then sell the item for? Not many I would assume.

I will ultimately talk with my money, which won't be going to these extortionists and will be going elsewhere. Just like it did when the agency pricing began in the US stores. It just seems sheer idiocy to repeat what has shown to be a real failure in the States for these publishers, quite a drop in profits since this scheme was launched as reports have shown but yet rather than reverse what is obvious a bad business plan they soldier on and roll it out in other countries as well.

What shows that it is due to sheer greed rather than an strategy against the lower list price of top sellers and new releases by sellers such as Amazon, is that this agency price is to be enforced not only on new release and best sellers but on the backlists as well. It's totally across the board rather than on a small minority of books.

You could understand, albeit reluctantly, this stance on a new release which would state that until 'such and such' time passed you couldn't discount a book but to do so across all books they sell is a sure sign of the little green devil showing itself. Not the big 'J' but rather the big 'G'.

Also as long as they insist on this idiocy I will not be buying their books, regardless of format, and taking my meagre book budget elsewhere.
Reading Kindle Veteran Digital Reader.
Offline jacom700 Reading
16 Oct 2010, 09:09 AM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I agree with the previous replies. I haven't bought many ebooks since getting my Kindle as in most cases they have been about the same prices as a paperback version so I simply buy the book. The ones I have bought have be from independent authors i.e. "Lexi" and they have certainly been up to the standard of mainstream authors. So as long as the mainstream publisher prices for ebooks remain high or go even higher then I will buy the paper version of these and ebooks from the independants.
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
16 Oct 2010, 09:31 AM | Post: #5

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

Very interesting, licenced, thank you for drawing attention to this. I can only watch with interest, but I agree with Lexi that publishers will end up damaging themselves if they try to force higher prices and people become more adventurous and start purchasing outside the old, established publishers. It could end up changing the whole face of publishing - which is arguably a good thing.
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
16 Oct 2010, 12:20 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(15 Oct 2010 09:50 PM)Lesley-Ann Wrote:  You could understand, albeit reluctantly, this stance on a new release which would state that until 'such and such' time passed you couldn't discount a book but to do so across all books they sell is a sure sign of the little green devil showing itself.

This, I think is the best stance.

We have lived in a world that charges higher prices for new and in-demand items and less for older and lower-demanded products for a long long time. That's basic economics and something we accept.

Publishers trying to set the same price for books no matter where they are in their life cycle is going to damage the sales of lesser-known authors more than anything and then damage the 'long tail' sales of their high profile books too.

I read somewhere that something like two-thirds of all books don't make back the money paid in advances to the authors. Publishers need high sales and the long tail of the big-name authors and books in order to survive. If their actions erode that, their business is lost.

Dave
Offline Margaret Lake Reading Matchmaker 2.0
16 Oct 2010, 02:27 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

While you're avoiding those ebooks tagged with ... this price set by the publisher ... remember it still feeds their pockets if you buy the paper book. That's what they want you to do. They want to break Amazon's hold on the top ebook seller spot and they'll do it by fair means or foul.

Random House never joined this lunacy. Thank goodness because they publish some of my favorite authors.
Historical Fiction/Romance by Margaret Lake http://www.tinyurl.com/malakeuk
Ariana's Pride
Catherine and the Captain
Listen to Your Heart
Of Love and War a novelette
Only In My Dreams a novelette
Sweet Savage Charity a novelette
16 Oct 2010, 05:32 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(16 Oct 2010 02:27 PM)Margaret Lake Wrote:  While you're avoiding those ebooks tagged with ... this price set by the publisher ... remember it still feeds their pockets if you buy the paper book. That's what they want you to do. They want to break Amazon's hold on the top ebook seller spot and they'll do it by fair means or foul.

My reason for buying a Kindle was so that I would not have to carry paper books around with me any more. I may read the odd paper version book if my wife has one I'm interested in, or I want to read one of my existing books. Other than that I don't intend to ever buy another (fiction at least) paper book again. There's plenty enough available in electronic format to keep me going for just about ever.

Dave
19 Oct 2010, 12:40 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

The latest posts on the Amazon thread are amusing for anyone still watching (Lexi - I see you there). A poster called Bob wrote a couple of replies on page 9 claiming to work for a publisher (nothing more than that) and that, while he was against the Agency Model, he had to defend the high pricing of ebooks, while ensuring everyone that publishers aren't money grabbing capitalists.

The power of the internet is wonderful - on page 10 he is 'outed' as the director of marketing for his publishing house, and as someone who has previously posted 5-star reviews on a few of his employer's wares.

Brilliant.
Offline kcmay Reading Finger Lickin' Fourteen
19 Oct 2010, 12:52 PM | Post: #10

SFF writer

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I agree with the above posters, but I thought this sort of thing was illegal in the US also. Hmmm. The fallout, I suspect, will be exactly what those big publishers don't want: readers will gravitate to indies and small presses. Ereaders ARE becoming more popular, despite what the big publishers want. Sounds to me like they have their fingers in their ears and are screaming "La la la la I can't hear you!"

Tumbleweed
KC May
The Kinshield Legacy on Amazon
The Venom of Vipers on Amazon

Currently Reading:Apocalypse Troll (David Weber) Last Book I Read:Hard Landing (Stephen Leather) Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Horror/ Thriller
Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Romance / Paranormal / True Crime
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Sci Fi & Fantasy
Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Matchmaker 2.0 Last Book I Read:Borrowed Time by M.A. Miller Favourite Genres:mystery, historical fiction, historical romance
Currently Reading:Finger Lickin' Fourteen Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:SFF