Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Kindle Touch - Does it work in the UK? Answers Here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
17 Nov 2011, 12:40 PM | Post: #1

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

Kindle Touch - Does it work in the UK? Answers Here

So you want to know if a Kindle Touch ordered from Amazon.com will work correctly in the UK.

We've put a Kindle Touch 3G through its paces here in the UK and here are the results:
  • Register to a UK account: YES
  • Download books from Amazon.co.uk via Wi-Fi: YES * see note below
  • Download books from Amazon.co.uk via 3G: YES * see note below
  • Browse Wikipedia / Amazon over 3G : YES
  • Browse the web on Wi-Fi: YES
  • Transfer books via USB from your computer: YES
  • Email books via @kindle.com email: YES
  • Use the X-Ray function: YES
  • Charge the Kindle Touch: YES
  • Browse the web on 3G: No matter where you are UK or US, you cannot browse the web over 3G (except for Amazon websites and Wikipedia) as it is not a feature of the Kindle Touch (only Kindle Keyboard 3G can do this)

So in summary, the Kindle Touch works perfectly in the UK with the one small exception noted below

* The Menu item called "Shop in Kindle Store" does not work and says that this is not supported for the UK store at this time. You CAN however just use the Kindle's web browser to go to the Amazon website with 3G/Wi-Fi at any time and order books from there as well as transfer and email documents in all the usual ways.

[Image: kindletouchregistered-20111117-122930.jpg]
Kindle before registering and after registering to my UK account.

How do I get one?

Normally you can't order a Kindle Touch from the US unless you have a US shipping address, but there is a painless way to get around this.

If you want to order a Kindle Touch from the US to be delivered to the UK can follow our guide at : http://www.kuforum.co.uk...

[Image: kindletouchokintheuk-20111116-180620.jpg]

Kindle Touch in the UK FAQ

Q. Can I order a Kindle Touch even if I dont live in the US?
A. Yes, see here for instructions

Q. How much will it cost to have a Kindle Touch shipped to the UK?
A. In our guide there are instructions to work out the total cost of shipping a Kindle Touch to the UK

Q. Can a US Kindle Touch be registered to a Amazon.co.uk account?
A. Yes it can

Q. Does the Kindle Touch / Kindle Touch 3G work correctly in the UK?
A. Yes, everything works perfectly.

Q. What about the Warranty?
A. There is nothing country specific in the Warrant, but you would need to return the Kindle Touch to the US at your own cost as things stand. This would most likely change once the Kindle Touch is available in the UK

Q. Is it worth getting a Kindle Touch?
A. That depends on how much you want the extra functions like Touch, 3G and X-Ray. The Kindle Touch is very similar to the Kindle Wi-Fi / Kindle 4 aside from these. Also bear in mind that it is going to cost more than the basic price as you have to include Duty, VAT and additional shipping charges to the UK. To help you make up your mind, check out our full review here

Q. How long does it take to import one from the US
This will depend on the shipping options you choose from Amazon and Bundlebox as well as Amazon's estimated dispatch time. Assuming no delays or stock shortage, if you chose the fastest options you should have it within 5 days. If you are thinking of ordering for Christmas, you should order as soon as possible just to be safe.

Full review of the Kindle Touch 3G in the UK here:
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline bookworm65
17 Nov 2011, 01:22 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: Kindle Touch - Does it work in the UK? Answers Here

Lou, Can you later the margin size like you could on the K3 KB? Because I don't really fancy having the huge margins that Amazon give us.
17 Nov 2011, 01:30 PM | Post: #3

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

(17 Nov 2011 01:22 PM)bookworm65 Wrote:  Lou, Can you later the margin size like you could on the K3 KB? Because I don't really fancy having the huge margins that Amazon give us.

I've had a look, and if there is a way to do it, it's not the same as the old Kindles. There is no sign of the configuration file, so it may have been moved to a hidden portion of the OS.
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
17 Nov 2011, 02:08 PM | Post: #4

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

Love the new avatar Lou, there is no beating you is there!

Glad it all seems to work, an experiment well resolved. Smile
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline bobb42 Reading
17 Nov 2011, 03:09 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Hi Lou, new here, just wondering can it be registered to Amazon US and books downloaded from there? I'm in Ireland by the way.
---
17 Nov 2011, 03:25 PM | Post: #6

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

Yup, Amazon US is no problem at all.
17 Nov 2011, 03:28 PM | Post: #7

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

Quote: Hi, thanks for this it was exactly what I was looking for as I am on vacation in the US at the moment. Is the version you tested one of the cheaper ones with 'special offers' ?

The version tested is the one without the special offers, but the on with special offers would also work just fine and you can get the offers removed at a later date.
Offline Jamespxx
17 Nov 2011, 03:35 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

Thank you!
---
Offline LexiRevellian Reading A book which I have forgotten to add here
17 Nov 2011, 03:44 PM | Post: #9

Keen kuffer

Thanked 71 times

What I Read

So which do you prefer, Lou, the Touch or the Keyboard?
Lexi
website
[/url] [Image: 51WwAD9NMtL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51da-%2BYkhRL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iBX4NnxoL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41UMQk6bFIL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51qTzauJb7L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51tzp0Z0gmL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51gPJw7MmjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 611cl4LH%2BqL._SL95.jpg]
Offline bobb42 Reading
17 Nov 2011, 04:36 PM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(17 Nov 2011 03:09 PM)bobb42 Wrote:  Hi Lou, new here, just wondering can it be registered to Amazon US and books downloaded from there? I'm in Ireland by the way.

Thanks Lou, appreciate it.
---

Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:Fenrir M.D.Lachlan Favourite Genres:Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Triller
Currently Reading:A book which I have forgotten to add here Last Book I Read:Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child Favourite Genres:Commercial FictionFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations