RE: Kindle Survey
(04 Nov 2011 11:52 PM)windyness Wrote: Hi Niall,
Not wishing to interfere with your research in any way, nor do I know what you're actually trying to research, but in my experience some of the most interesting and productive survey questions come in the form of freeform questions such as:
1. What would you change about your kindle?
2. What do you really like about your kindle?
3. What improvements would you make to the navigation on your kindle?
4. What are your feelings on digital publishing now that you've experienced (and invested in) it?
This approach not only allows you to focus in on product weaknesses, but also allows you to tap into lots of new ideas from willing participants. Overall I think it gives a lot more insight, which multiple option answers can never achieve.
In answer to my own questions:
1. I'd like it if when I pick up the Kindle it displays the cover and back of whatever book I'm reading, just as I would do with a 'real' book. And obviously very easy to do in software. It would make it 'more like' a book.
2. Its made me read a lot more. Free books have started me looking at classics more, yet I've been been more than happy to buy new ones very readily indeed. Whispernet is damned good. Amazon's 'samples' system is fantastic.
3. I find the navigation slightly clunky. For experienced IT users it should be a lot faster, but the interface limits what you can do. It seems very slow to navigate for a modern product, the new 'keyboardless' options can only make this worse.
4. I never thought I'd say this, but I suspect I'll buy almost all my paperbacks in Kindle format. Amazon's policy of storing purchases in an accessible 'cloud' for multiple devices makes me believe that my purchases will always be available even if I upgrade my device or if it fails catastrophically. I haven't explained this very well, nor will I here.
Thanks for the feedback, the first part of my study is to gather quantitative data regarding user groups and how the feel about the product. Further into the study I will be conducting Contextual Interviews with user groups identified from the survey where questions such as the ones you have suggested will be introduced to gather much more detailed data about the users and they feel about the kindle.
Thanks again for taking time to complete the survey and give me some valuable feedback.