Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Amazon.com customers cancelling Kindle Touch orders due to no 3G web browsing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline KUF Editorial
03 Oct 2011, 09:25 AM | Post: #1

News From KUF

Thanked 0 times

Amazon.com customers cancelling Kindle Touch orders due to no 3G web browsing

There is a bit of controversy stirring up on the Amazon.com official Kindle forum over 3G on the new Kindle Touch.

If you read carefully, under the Experimental Browser section (which I noted had been changed recently) it now states the Experimental Browsing is for Wi-Fi only (sceenshot below)

[Image: ktbrowsing1-20111003-101829.jpg]

This has led to many posts on the offcial Amazon.com Kindle forum trying to gain clarification on this. There had been mixed reports of customers calling customer services and being told in some cases that the new Kindle Touch browsing would be the same as the Kindle Keyboard and support browsing via 3G as well, whereas others were told it would only allow browsing via Wi-Fi.

In the latest official post on the forum by the Amazon Kindle Team, this is clarified

[Image: ktno3gwebbrowsing-20111003-102136.jpg]

This official statement has now led to several customers cancelling orders for the Kindle Touch 3G. Is this a major gaffe by Amazon.com or perhaps a misunderstanding by the customer services team? If there really is to be no free web browsing via 3G then this is a major step backward for the Kindle Touch and a real lack of incentive for Kindle Keyboard 3G owners to upgrade (or rather downgrade).

If the situation changes, I will post updates.

Just a few of the order cancellation posts ...

[Image: ktouchcancelled2-20111003-102902.jpg]
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
03 Oct 2011, 11:13 AM | Post: #2

Super Moderator

Thanked 129 times

What I Read

RE: Amazon.com customers cancelling Kindle Touch orders due to no 3G web browsing

Ouch, that is going to cause problems for some!
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline Stephen Brown
03 Oct 2011, 12:27 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

RE: Amazon.com customers cancelling Kindle Touch orders due to no 3G web browsing

I have to say that I myself don't see this as a major problem. I only use the kindle web browser for occasional browsing and purchasing from the kindle store, most of the time I prefer to use my computer at home even for this due to larger screen display and much quicker search speeds.
Offline Susanne Reading The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson
03 Oct 2011, 12:53 PM | Post: #4

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(03 Oct 2011 12:27 PM)Stephen Brown Wrote:  I have to say that I myself don't see this as a major problem. I only use the kindle web browser for occasional browsing and purchasing from the kindle store, most of the time I prefer to use my computer at home even for this due to larger screen display and much quicker search speeds.

The point is it is advertised as 3G - and all you can get on 3G is Amazon!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
03 Oct 2011, 02:15 PM | Post: #5

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

I wonder if there is enough of a stir Amazon.com will rectify this. What this means really is that both of the 2 new Kindle lines are essentially less capable than the Kindle 3 / Kindle Keyboard - not a good incentive for anyone to downgrade any time soon. Looks like the Kindle Keyboard is still the best buy.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline larkim
03 Oct 2011, 04:20 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

As Kindle 3/Keyboard owner I'm quite pleased by this actually! The fact that they have now explicitly sold a device with "partial" 3G availablility, but not sought to try to take it away from existing K3 users, indicates that they don't believe they can remove browser / 3G capabilities from the devices already sold. I must admit I've been waiting for the day when Amazon turn off the "experimental" browsing over 3G when they realise that it costs them too much to subsidise.

The way they have done this means they can control how much this use expands in the future, whilst accepting that some of us got a deal which will work out costing them a packet in the future.

(I only got a 3G Kindle once I realised I could sit abroad on holiday and check the internet with it, as well as read books!)

Matt
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
03 Oct 2011, 04:31 PM | Post: #7

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

I used my Kindle Keyboard 3G (ugh still can't get used to calling it that) browser quite a lot during my last holiday. From checking up on the forum to reading blogs and things. I even managed to get my Sky box to record some programmes with it whilst I was away. I was thinking about selling my old Kindle once my Touch arrives, but that's definitely not going to happen now.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
03 Oct 2011, 04:32 PM | Post: #8

Official KUF Reviewer and Interrogator

Thanked 136 times

What I Read

I do like my 3G even if all I ever look at is a bit of Facebook and a lot of KUF.
Young hedgehogs need fattening up for winter now, so put some water and seeds out for them, they'll reward you with a calling card.  
While you are at it, water and feed the birds too. Thumbs Up And come and talk about it at GardenWildlifeUK
Offline Phil Reading Influx by Daniel Suarez
03 Oct 2011, 05:45 PM | Post: #9

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 8 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 03 Oct 2011 05:45 PM by Phil.
I really hate using the experimental browser, it did work in the early days but I still thought it was hard work. On the one occasion when I have need it recently it failed to connect anyway Sad

As more people buy Kindles I can only see the service getting flakier and flakier. I think Amazon (or more likely Vodaphone) are just covering themselves and I'm sure in time you will be able to pay £10 a month for 3G coverage. Wink
Offline Bricorn
03 Oct 2011, 08:38 PM | Post: #10

DXG user

Thanked 3 times

My DXG is 3G, but after trying it once I haven't used it to browse again. My smart phone (well, cleverish anyway) - or laptop if it's with me - do the job so much better that I don't use the Kindle for that. 3G only gets turned on when I've ordered a book, and then only long enough to get the books.

I don't see this lack as a disadvantage.

Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson Last Book I Read:The Summer Son by Craig Lancaster Favourite Genres:contemporary fiction, literary fiction, crime/thriller,Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Influx by Daniel Suarez Last Book I Read:The Martian by Andy Weir Favourite Genres:Thrillers / CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations