Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Stupid UK Tax on E-books

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline mattlynn
01 Oct 2011, 03:51 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Stupid UK Tax on E-books

This post was last modified: 01 Oct 2011 03:52 PM by mattlynn.
E-Books are the best thing that have happened to writers since…well, probably the invention of instant coffee. Sure, there is a lot of nervousness among publishers and bookshop owners and that is understandable. But for writers, they can only be good news. At the flick of a switch, you have a global market. Far more of the money generated goes to the writer. And it opens up markers for all sorts of new kinds of work.

There is one glaring injustice, however. E-books carry VAT, whereas printed books are tax-free.

That is just short-sighted greed on the part of the Treasury. A petition has been started up on the government’s website calling for its abolition. As it rightly points out, e-books are far more environmentally-friendly than the old, paper sort. No trees get cut down. No vans drive them around the country. A book is a book, regardless of the form of delivery. It is crazy to discriminate in favour of one kind through the tax system.

I’d add another point. I bet e-books can be a huge industry for the UK. We have great writers, English is the world’s language, and we have the editors and entrepreneurs who can seize the market. And yet the Government is taxing e-books unfairly – which almost certainly means the industry won’t develop as fast as it otherwise would. Bonkers.

I’ve already signed the petition, but there are only 2,500 so far. So click on the link and add your name today.

- Matt Lynn

Shadow Force
Lethal Force
Death Force
Offline Notoriety Reading Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis
01 Oct 2011, 06:28 PM | Post: #2

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

RE: Stupid UK Tax on E-books

Hi Mattlynn

Couldn't agree more. Tantrum

We've had some discussion before and I was surprised that that it turns out that the tax is an EU idea and is Levied in Luxembourg where Amazon Europe is based - hence 15% not 20% as in the UK. See http://www.kuforum.co.uk... - but you need to get to page 2 or 3 of the thread.

Tony
Arab proverb: Only a fool lends his books and only a fool returns them.
Offline davidwailing Reading The Atholl Expedition by Alex Roddie
02 Oct 2011, 09:12 PM | Post: #3

Auto

Thanked 187 times

What I Read

Thanks for reminding me of this - I've signed and tweeted about the petition.

I suspect there's not much chance of the law changing until ebooks start becoming the normal way for everyone to read, which is a good few years off yet. But we should still do our part!
[Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51yKbM97VgL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51bOIIJsknL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51ZjjH2Tn9L._SL95.jpg] 

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline writerken Reading The Farmer Boy
03 Oct 2011, 07:49 AM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Signed it a while back. Keep tweeting it.
[Image: smith-cowboys-can-fly_cov_0.jpg]

cowboys can fly

If today you have not laughed you have not lived.
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
03 Oct 2011, 08:29 AM | Post: #5

Super Moderator

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

(02 Oct 2011 09:12 PM)davidwailing Wrote:  I suspect there's not much chance of the law changing until ebooks start becoming the normal way for everyone to read, which is a good few years off yet. But we should still do our part!

From little acorns big oak trees grow, and everything has to start somewhere. Smile
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline Tinker Reading In the Bleak Midwinter - Carol Rivers
05 Oct 2011, 10:16 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Well done Matt. This really annoys me. Surely e-books are greener than printed? And frankly any method of putting books in front of readers should be encouraged. Not taxed!
Julia Hughes
A Ripple in Time
Offline Dchase Reading
09 Oct 2011, 07:26 PM | Post: #7

Author

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I'm in the US and don't know much about VAT. How much does it usually add to an ebook sale?
Offline Jinglepupskye
10 Oct 2011, 12:22 AM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

(09 Oct 2011 07:26 PM)Dchase Wrote:  I'm in the US and don't know much about VAT. How much does it usually add to an ebook sale?

At the moment 20%.
Offline Notoriety Reading Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis
10 Oct 2011, 06:39 AM | Post: #9

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

VAT on UK Amazon e-books is levied in Luxembourg at 15%.

Tony
Arab proverb: Only a fool lends his books and only a fool returns them.
Offline Geoff Woodland Reading The Help - paperback
13 Oct 2011, 02:30 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Do you have the same problem if you buy from Smashwords?
Geoff

Currently Reading:Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis Last Book I Read:The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes Favourite Genres:Classics, politics, foreign language, "lit fic", funFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Atholl Expedition by Alex Roddie Last Book I Read:21st Century Dodos by Steve Stack Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Farmer Boy Last Book I Read:Battleship Boys Favourite Genres:
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:In the Bleak Midwinter - Carol Rivers Last Book I Read:Pop Throb! Ben Elton Favourite Genres:Random
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Currently Reading:The Help - paperback Last Book I Read:The Big Short Favourite Genres:Historical fiction & thrillersFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations