Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Scary Books - Recommendations Needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Matt Reading The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
31 Aug 2010, 07:02 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Scary Books - Recommendations Needed

This post was last modified: 31 Aug 2010 07:50 PM by Matt.
Can anyone suggest any books they've found genuinely frightening to read?

I'm not that interested in ghost stories because the old mind plays tricks and I can't sleep for days. Blush I'm trying to recapture the same feeling I had whilst reading Dracula for the first time. No film adaption I've ever seen does justice to the book.

If you could list some of your fave chilling reads it would be appreciated ... cheers.
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
31 Aug 2010, 08:09 PM | Post: #2

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

RE: Scary Books - Recommendations Needed

I'm a bit of a horror fan, but I am a bit picky as I've read some real drivel in this genre in my time.

Whilst I can't really say that I've found anything to be genuinely terrifying, I can definitely recommend some things that have left a lasting impression on me.

Peter Straub comes highly recommended (although some of his more recent work has been a little lacking) in particular, Shadowland and the short story Mr Clubb and Mr Cuff from Magic Terror.

I can also highly recommend HP Lovecraft (if you are not already familiar) in particular The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and Pickman's Model.

I do tend to prefer short horror stories on the whole as they tend to pack more of a punch.

There are some real crackers in Here Be Daemons and also The Evil People although these are trickier to get hold of.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
31 Aug 2010, 08:18 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Thank god you have read the drivel because it'll save me from having to read it!

You've given me some good choices there. I've not read any of those books before so I'll have something to quickly get stuck in to. Thanks for that.

Are all the Lovecraft books free by the way?
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
31 Aug 2010, 08:23 PM | Post: #4

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

(31 Aug 2010 08:18 PM)Mutt Wrote:  Are all the Lovecraft books free by the way?

That's a good point - I hadn't thought about that. I know that there are several here http://manybooks.net/authors/lovecrafth.html
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
31 Aug 2010, 08:38 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Well there's certainly loads to read there! In fact, it's quite dizzying the sheer amount of literature available to me (and to all of us) with the advent of e-readers. I've already lined up a couple of hundred books I want to read when I get the Kindle and more are added every day. Horror stories are where my main interest lies at the moment so I'll begin there.
Offline jmbarlog
02 Sep 2010, 05:26 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

You can try Windows to the Soul. It is now available in the UK Kindlestore. It's a supernatural thriller set on a college campus.

http://www.amazon.co.uk...
Offline J-P
02 Sep 2010, 05:48 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

02 Sep 2010, 07:57 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming.
Offline Ross47 Reading The Mysterious Affair at Styles
03 Sep 2010, 10:00 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

What I Read
Offline Trace Reading
18 Oct 2010, 03:40 AM | Post: #10

Veteran Member

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

If you don't mind scary vampires then I'll recommend David McAfee's work - he's got a couple of vampire novels out and a compilation of truly scary short stories - gave me nightmares for weeks Smile

Currently Reading:The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith Last Book I Read:The Light Between Oceans - M.L. Stedman Favourite Genres:|Non-Fic||Thrillers||Mystery|
Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Mysterious Affair at Styles Last Book I Read:The Man who was Thursday Favourite Genres:
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Crime/Thriller, Mystery, Comedy