Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Sorting books into collections - tips?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline ImpOne Reading Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch
29 Aug 2011, 03:01 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Sorting books into collections - tips?

I have to admit that I find sorting books into collections quite a tedious process, especially when the author has a large list of books to their name. So...any tips to make it easier/quicker? What's your favourite method? It really irks me that you can't choose a block of books and import them to your newly created collection en masse, but have to put them in one by one. Unless I'm missing something. I'm a bit of a Kindle newbie, so I'm sure I haven't figured out half the options yet.

Thanks!
Offline cailean68 Reading The Measure of Magic by Terry Brooks
29 Aug 2011, 07:34 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: Sorting books into collections - tips?

From the main list of collections, go to the name of the collection you want to add books to and the push "right" on the joystick. Then select add/remove items. Then tick as many books at once to add to this collection
29 Aug 2011, 09:06 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 29 Aug 2011 09:08 AM by ImpOne.
Thanks, Cailean. That's the one I find the least tedious, although I find that it does take me a long time to get to the books using that one. I've got so many on the Kindle, that if the new author is at the tail end of the alphabet it takes a lot of clicking on that righthand page turner to get there! But it's the best of the methods I've found so far, undoubtedly!

Quote: Then tick as many books at once to add to this collection

There's a way to do that en masse? At the moment, I go down the list and have to hit 'add to this collection' one by one, then a tick appears beside them and I hit home when I've got through them all. But it sounds from your reply that there's a way to add them in collectively. Yes?
Offline Willber G. Force
29 Aug 2011, 12:13 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

This post was last modified: 29 Aug 2011 12:16 PM by Willber G. Force.
(29 Aug 2011 09:06 AM)ImpOne Wrote:  I find that it does take me a long time to get to the books using that one. I've got so many on the Kindle, that if the new author is at the tail end of the alphabet it takes a lot of clicking on that righthand page turner to get there!

Hi ImpOne, try this:

1. Select your collection
2. Press "Menu" and select "Add/Remove Items"
3. Sort list by Author
3. Press the "Del" key
4. Type the first letter of author's name
5. Press the "Return" key below the "Del" key (it has a bent arrow on it)

This should take you to the chosen author's books.
29 Aug 2011, 01:17 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 29 Aug 2011 01:17 PM by ImpOne.
Hey, Willber! Thanks for that one - much more handy!

PulpReader

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Calibre, the oft mentioned Library Management freeware will now do collections management, as will "The Kindle Collection Manager"

I find doing this on a computer significantly easier than on the Kindle - especially so with a large library of books. When complete you just sync your newly organised collections back to the Kindle.

Puss
--------------------------------------------------------------
They say that everyone has a book in them... well, mine is going to have to be surgically removed!
29 Aug 2011, 11:07 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 29 Aug 2011 11:08 PM by ImpOne.
ThePuss - thank! That's really interesting. I already have Calibre of course - indispensible for the Kindle user, so I'll definitely be checking those out. And I'd never thought of doing this on the pc Kindle first, then moving everything over. Well, didn't know you could do that, for a start. But it probably would be much easier at that.
Offline Angel
04 Oct 2011, 10:48 AM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

Hi, I have just joined this forum and am relatively new to Kindles too, having only owned one for 2 months. I'm not a very techie person so please be patient with me...

I'd be very grateful for some tips on organising books on Calibre (which I use) into collections and transferring them as such onto the Kindle. I've looked all over the Calibre user manual and can only find instructions for collections for a Sony reader and specifically says it doesn't support Kindle collections.

Thank you.
---
Offline Phil Reading The Lost Empress by Steve Robinson
04 Oct 2011, 10:57 AM | Post: #9

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 9 times

What I Read

(04 Oct 2011 10:48 AM)Angel Wrote:  I'd be very grateful for some tips on organising books on Calibre (which I use) into collections and transferring them as such onto the Kindle. I've looked all over the Calibre user manual

I haven't used it but there is a plugin for Calibre which allows it to do collections on the Kindle

http://www.mobileread.com...
Offline I ♥ my Kindle Reading Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein
04 Oct 2011, 11:22 AM | Post: #10

BookWorm

Thanked 22 times

What I Read

(29 Aug 2011 07:34 AM)cailean68 Wrote:  From the main list of collections, go to the name of the collection you want to add books to and the push "right" on the joystick. Then select add/remove items. Then tick as many books at once to add to this collection

This ^^

Just got my replacement Kindle and have to resort all my collections *grumble*mumble*

Would be much easier if Amazon allowed you access to the files to sort it yourself via PC.

Currently Reading:Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch Last Book I Read:The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory Favourite Genres:SFantasy, Thriller, Horror, Historical
Currently Reading:The Measure of Magic by Terry Brooks Last Book I Read:Snuff by Terry Pratchett Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Thriller
Currently Reading:The Red Panda Adventures - Mind Master - by Gregg Taylor Last Book I Read:The Borough Treasurer - J Smith Fletcher Favourite Genres:The type of crime novel my grandmother read!
Currently Reading:The Lost Empress by Steve Robinson Last Book I Read:The Great Train Robber by Chris Darnell Favourite Genres:Thrillers / CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein Last Book I Read:Devil's Advocate by Jonathan Maberry Favourite Genres:Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, True CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations