Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3) FAQ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
29 Sep 2010, 06:16 PM | Post: #1

Administrator

Thanked 84 times

What I Read

Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3) FAQ

Kindle Keyboard / Kindle 3 FAQs by Kindle Users Forum

To avoid too much repetition, most of the more general questions about the Kindle, e-ink and book purchasing are covered in the Kindle General FAQ so please refer to that post for non Kindle Keyboard specific questions.

Section 1 - Kindle Keyboard Hardware

Q. Should my Kindle be switched off or just left to sleep?

Normally, just leave to sleep. After 10 minutes of non-use, the Kindle reverts to a screensaver style mode. The Kindle can be left in sleep mode indefinitely, however if you are unlikely to use your Kindle for more than a week then it is better to switch it off by sliding and holding the power button for 7 seconds until the display goes off.

You can put your Kindle on sleep by sliding and releasing the power button. The keys are locked in sleep mode to prevent inadvertent use. If Text-to-Speech is on at this point, you will continue to hear the reading but the keys will be locked.

Q. Can I charge my Kindle in the car?

It is possible, but you would have to obtain a USB 12 volt connector that fits your cigarette lighter socket. There is no guarantees with this; whilst it should be OK, it could damage your Kindle battery.

Q. What are the keyboard shortcuts for the Kindle Keyboard?

There are many shortcuts available for the Kindle and a good source of these can be found here: keyboard shortcuts

Q. Can you change the screensaver pictures?

At present, the only way to change the screensaver pictures is with a hacked software update but this is not recommended as it could cause operating problems with your Kindle. We are hoping that eventually Amazon will give us an official way to change the pictures.

Section 2 - Using the Kindle

Q. Can I play Games on my Kindle?

At present, UK Kindle owners have two games that they can play on their Kindle.

Minesweeper
This is accessed by pressing Shift, Alt and M.

GoMoku
From Minesweeper (above) press G to play this extra game.
GoMoku is a strategy board game otherwise known as Five in a Row.

If you want to get back to Minesweeper from GoMoku just press “M”.

Two games were available to US Kindle users, but because of a dictionary problem, they have yet to come to the UK. It is likely that more games will be made available to UK users in the future.

Q. Can I listen to Audio books on the Kindle?

Yes. Audio books can be obtained from Audible.co.uk. There is a separate directory on your Kindle called Audible. Copy your audio (.aa) file to this. Playing the audio file is similar to reading a book, please refer to the Kindle User Guide for further instructions.

Q. Where can I get further support for my Kindle

If you can't find what you are looking for on our forum, then you can check Amazon's Kindle support documentation

Q. Can I change the page margins on my Kindle

Yes, you can change the margin size if you follow these steps :
  1. Go to the Home page of the kindle and put it in USB drive mode. (Make sure you're on the homepage not reading a novel)
  2. View the files of the Kindle and select the organize tab in the top left. Go onto the folder and search options select view and deselect the hide protected operating system files and select show hidden folders. Apply the changes and a system folder should become visible.
  3. Open the system folder the com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader folder and open the reader file with notepad2 (free download here) of similar software (notepad or wordpad will not work correctly)
  4. In this file you will find the line HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40. This is the line you need to change. Change the 40 to the amount of pixels you want the margin to be. I've found 10 works well. When you've made the change save the file.
  5. Reload your kindle. To make the change go to the settings press the menu again and choose to restart. DO THIS BEFORE YOU OPEN A BOOK TO READ. Once the Kindle restarts open the book you're reading and the margins should be altered.

That covers questions which are specific to the Kindle Keyboard. If you have questions about screensavers, buying and reading eBooks and PDFs or maintenance of your Kindle, please refer to the Kindle General FAQ
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline plord
22 Oct 2010, 04:46 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: Kindle FAQ September 2010

Suggest adding to the FAQ a description on how to reduce the margins (http://pokazywarka.pl/k3tricks/) ... this annoyed me until I found how to change it!
Offline licenced Reading Apocalypse Troll (David Weber)
23 Oct 2010, 03:43 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: Kindle FAQ September 2010

Thanks for that.

Just a note for anyone that wants to try this - it doesn't work if you edit the file using Notepad or Wordpad. Notepad just shows all of the text in one line anyway. Wordpad appears to work, but when you restart the file has been replaced with the default.

I used Notepad2 - http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Dave
25 Oct 2010, 08:30 AM | Post: #4

Administrator

Thanked 84 times

What I Read

RE: Kindle FAQ October 2010

I've just added a new section at the bottom of the FAQ for this.

BTW to Moderators - feel free to make amends / additions as well if you see fit.
Offline Alex Reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
28 Oct 2010, 05:22 PM | Post: #5

Super Moderator - KUF Junkie

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Updated at the end to include steps for changing your primary dictionary.

Alex
"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks.
And all the sweet serenity of books."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Offline Montala Reading Remix
29 Oct 2010, 10:35 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(28 Oct 2010 05:22 PM)Alex Wrote:  Updated at the end to include steps for changing your primary dictionary.

Alex

Thanks Alex, but isn't this one of the first things that all UK readers would want to do anyway... or was that why you aded it? Kindle Smile
Offline Alex Reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
29 Oct 2010, 10:46 PM | Post: #7

Super Moderator - KUF Junkie

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(29 Oct 2010 10:35 PM)Montala Wrote:  Thanks Alex, but isn't this one of the first things that all UK readers would want to do anyway... or was that why you aded it? Kindle Smile

Hi Montala

You're right, I think it is something that the majority of UK members would want to do. However, I think the kindle-fever that strikes us all on first un-zipping that fabulous cardboard box and wading into the world of e-books and samples distracts us from simple things like setting the UK dictionary. Hence the reason I thought it warrented a mention in the FAQ.

I should also thank fifi29, who was the member who posted about it and gave me a gentle reminder to do it myself!
"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks.
And all the sweet serenity of books."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Offline Colin Harris
30 Oct 2010, 04:48 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

Hi Lou,

I'm waiting delivery of my Kindle 3G and was wondering if its possible to read a book and listen to music on the Kindle at the sametime?

Thank you for your responses when I first joined this forum.

Regards,
Colin
30 Oct 2010, 05:01 PM | Post: #9

Administrator

Thanked 84 times

What I Read

Hi Colin,

Yes the Kindle has a feature called background music. You can play music and then control it with keyboard combinations.

You may have seen this already, but you can download the User Guide whilst you are waiting for your Kindle. http://www.amazon.co.uk...
Offline Kulana Reading The Phrophecy by Chris Kuzneski
09 Nov 2010, 08:49 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(29 Oct 2010 10:46 PM)Alex Wrote:  
(29 Oct 2010 10:35 PM)Montala Wrote:  Thanks Alex, but isn't this one of the first things that all UK readers would want to do anyway... or was that why you aded it? Kindle Smile

Hi Montala

You're right, I think it is something that the majority of UK members would want to do. However, I think the kindle-fever that strikes us all on first un-zipping that fabulous cardboard box and wading into the world of e-books and samples distracts us from simple things like setting the UK dictionary. Hence the reason I thought it warrented a mention in the FAQ.

I should also thank fifi29, who was the member who posted about it and gave me a gentle reminder to do it myself!

You're quite right about kindle-fever! I've had my Kindle for a while, now, read a fair few ebooks and have just got around to changing my dictionary. Many thanks.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Apocalypse Troll (David Weber) Last Book I Read:Hard Landing (Stephen Leather) Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Horror/ Thriller
Currently Reading:A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin Last Book I Read:A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Crime / Historical Fiction
Currently Reading:Remix Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:
Currently Reading:The Phrophecy by Chris Kuzneski Last Book I Read:The Afghan by Frederick Forsyth Favourite Genres:Thriller / SF / Crime