Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Hedgehogs and Other Wildlife in your Garden

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
20 Jul 2011, 09:41 PM | Post: #1

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

Hedgehogs and Other Wildlife in your Garden

My avatar (if I still have it when you read this) is of a hedgehog that visited my garden last year.
I love hedgehogs and have a few visiting regularly. I have an infrared camera pointing at a food tray so I know when they turn up and have two hedgehog houses even though my garden is not that big. One is definitely being used, the other is new and I'm not sure if anyone is in there.
I think hedgehog legs are like The Luggage in Terry Pratchett's early books. They kind of rise up off the ground and they are really long and ever so fast.

I've also had some foxes too. There were two last autumn but they dissapeared and I was surprised to see a very butch looking one a few weeks ago on my camera. I haven't seen him since, though.

I don't even live in the countryside. Being in the valleys of South Wales, I'm not too far from open fields, but there are quite a few streets between me and the open spaces.

I know there are visitor from all round the world, but what wildlife do you get in your garden?
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline skate Reading
21 Jul 2011, 07:06 AM | Post: #2

Dragon lady

Thanked 82 times

What I Read

RE: Hedgehogs and Other Wildlife in your Garden

Being in Australia, we have never had a hedgehog in our garden, but we did find an echidna once in the shed. We also get blue-tongued lizards and the occasional snake. Sad

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Echidna3 Oct08.jpg (Size: 27.88 KB / Downloads: 143)
Kate Smile

[Image: 51%2BGUmuHNZL._SL160_.jpg]  [Image: 51YCbxnW97L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51zikidnNHL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51al4tl8wNL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51LHuK4mbxL._SL95.jpg] 

Enter a world of Fantasy for all ages!  www.katiewstewart.com
Add that final sparkle to your books Magic Owl Design
Offline barbara elsborg
21 Jul 2011, 03:33 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

Not much because we've had to put netting round to keep my son's dog in and safe. But plenty of slugs!!!
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
21 Jul 2011, 07:11 PM | Post: #4

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

We only have a teeny tiny postage stamp for a garden, but just over the road is common land and we get loads of wildlife from there. We get masses of foxes, both during the day and night, and very occasionally a hedgehog. We used to get bats and I used to love going outside at dusk and watching them swoop around, but the old house where they were roosting was knocked down and I haven't seen any for about two years now. I really miss them, and think they are misunderstood by many people. We have also had small lizards and frogs as well!!!
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
21 Jul 2011, 08:01 PM | Post: #5

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

I get bats doing circles of my house too. I sometimes stand out on the driveway and they swoop past my head.
I borrowed a bat detector from work last year. That was interesting listening to them. They were pipistrelles.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline sujay Reading The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard
22 Jul 2011, 02:06 PM | Post: #6

Super Moderator

Thanked 163 times

What I Read

Thats what we used to do as well. It's amazing how close they come to you and then swoop away at the last minute.
Only happy when I am immersed in a good Kindle book Thumbs Up
Offline Grace Elliot Reading Demelza.
22 Jul 2011, 02:20 PM | Post: #7

Grace Elliot

Thanked 30 times

What I Read

talking about wildlife you DON'T want in the garden....
One of my cat's brought home an enormous (live!) rat. Luckily he meowed at the back door to be let in and I saw the rat dangling from his mouth before he made it into the house!
I ran round shutting windows and locking the cat flap...goodness knows what the cat thought; must think we humans are pretty whimpy.
[Image: 5140ZyNAkWL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51K00gbdUaL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 511aZHnc8YL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51naRtTfXnL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51ZqtQvpuCL._SX75.jpg]  [Image: 51lr69x4JNL._SL95.jpg]

Fall in Love with History http://graceelliot-author.blogspot.com
Aislynn Archer
22 Jul 2011, 03:09 PM | Post: #8

Unregistered

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I'm not in the UK, so my wildlife is a bit different (though somehow I lucked into getting millions of what I think are giant red European slugs). The larger wildlife in my garden includes deer (who eat my fruit trees and my corn and peas), bears (who break my fence in addition to eating most of my corn and squash), and skunks (who don't really destroy things, so I don't mind them too much now that I'm not keeping laying hens). Oh, and sometimes we get pack rats in our outbuildings, which doesn't impress my significant other as he has to clean up their messes.
---
Offline adavid27
23 Jul 2011, 11:06 AM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

If you are interested in helping hedgehogs, have a look here it is full of information on how to help hedgehogs which are an endangered species - http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/
Offline Talli Roland Reading
23 Jul 2011, 05:04 PM | Post: #10

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

I live in central London, but I've seen quite a few foxes in the back garden and lots of squirrels!

Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:The Element by Ken Robinson Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Historical, CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard Last Book I Read:To the Grave by Steve Robinson Favourite Genres:I don't mind, as long as it's good!Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Demelza. Last Book I Read:Ross Poldark. Favourite Genres:Historical romance.
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Commercial fiction