Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Drag and Drop?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Blown
30 Aug 2010, 06:32 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Drag and Drop?

Does anyone know if it's possible to just drag and drop PDF files onto the Kindle using the usb connection, as you would with an external hard drive?

I ask as my company laptop is limited to a specific number of applications and I'll not be able to run Calibre or Kindle for PC on it. I'm happy to load books via Amazon and use my home PC for adding books via Calibre. I don't want to email them as I'm not keen on paying for the 3G connection transfer fee if I'm out of range of a free WIFI.

The ability to load and read work PDF documents during business travel would be useful.

Thanks,
Blown Idea
Offline Blown
31 Aug 2010, 07:15 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: Drag and Drop?

Has nobody here with a Kindle tried this? Huh
Offline Lesley-Ann Reading
31 Aug 2010, 09:23 AM | Post: #3

Professional Aunty

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(31 Aug 2010 07:15 AM)Blown Wrote:  Has nobody here with a Kindle tried this? Huh

If you check the 3G product page at Amazon you will find a review by Mrs Bad Crumble who tested a PDF which she sent to Amazon via Wifi for conversion and received and one she put directly onto her Kindle via the USB cable.

Her review is top of the list of reviews at the bottom of the product page.

You might want to check it out. It seems you can directly transfer PDF as is to your Kindle via the cable and the reviewer said she actually preferred out it turned out in comparison to the PDF she sent for conversion.

Mrs Bad Crumble's Review
Reading Kindle Veteran Digital Reader.
Offline Blown
31 Aug 2010, 10:33 AM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

Thanks, it looks like it will work with my company laptop.

Cheers,
Blown Idea
Offline Simben
31 Aug 2010, 07:01 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

Yes I did it today. Dragged a pdf to the Documents folder on the Kindle. Works well
---
Offline testmonkey
31 Aug 2010, 08:43 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

(30 Aug 2010 06:32 PM)Blown Wrote:  I don't want to email them as I'm not keen on paying for the 3G connection transfer fee if I'm out of range of a free WIFI.

Don't forget there are 2 email addresses you can send documents to for Amazon to convert and send to your Kindle. One of them is really only of benefit for 3G users in that the address is [yourbit]@free.kindle.com and any documents sent this way will only be delivered to your Kindle when it has a wifi connection thereby avoiding the 3G transfer cost if sent to [yourbit]@kindle.com
Offline testmonkey
01 Sep 2010, 12:34 AM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

(31 Aug 2010 08:43 PM)testmonkey Wrote:  Don't forget there are 2 email addresses you can send documents to for Amazon to convert and send to your Kindle. One of them is really only of benefit for 3G users in that the address is [yourbit]@free.kindle.com and any documents sent this way will only be delivered to your Kindle when it has a wifi connection thereby avoiding the 3G transfer cost if sent to [yourbit]@kindle.com

Just an update to what I wrote above.

It seems that if you send the document to the free.kindle.com address the converted document is sent to the email address linked to your Amazon account and you then need to transfer it to the Kindle via USB.

Sorry for the incorrect original post.
Offline Blown
01 Sep 2010, 08:27 AM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

(01 Sep 2010 12:34 AM)testmonkey Wrote:  
(31 Aug 2010 08:43 PM)testmonkey Wrote:  Don't forget there are 2 email addresses you can send documents to for Amazon to convert and send to your Kindle. One of them is really only of benefit for 3G users in that the address is [yourbit]@free.kindle.com and any documents sent this way will only be delivered to your Kindle when it has a wifi connection thereby avoiding the 3G transfer cost if sent to [yourbit]@kindle.com

Just an update to what I wrote above.

It seems that if you send the document to the free.kindle.com address the converted document is sent to the email address linked to your Amazon account and you then need to transfer it to the Kindle via USB.

Sorry for the incorrect original post.

Great, I've sorted the drag and drop thing and it works.

As to the above, I've found if I set the maximum charge for a document transfer, in "Manage My kindle" on the Amazon site, to a really low figure then emailed documents aren't transferred via 3G and wait till you get a WIFI signal Idea

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Romance / Paranormal / True Crime