Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Great Review of my new novel THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO LAZARUS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline rczimler
07 May 2019, 02:44 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Great Review of my new novel THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO LAZARUS

This post was last modified: 08 May 2019 11:32 AM by rczimler.
A wonderful review of my historical novel set in the Holy Land 2000 years ago has just been published in The Observer.  Among the observations made by the reviewer is this one: "Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of this brave and engaging novel...is that Richard Zimler manages to make the best-known narrative in western culture a page-turner. I simply had to keep going to the very end in order to know on earth what would happen."  
The link to the review in the Observer is here: https://www.theguardian.com...
Some background information: 
As you may recall, we are told in the New Testament that Jesus resurrected a beloved friend named Lazarus from the dead. Yet the Gospel of John – which contains this episode – does not tell us how Jesus accomplished this miracle or if he had a special purpose for saving his companion. In my novel, I narrate this mysterious and influential story from Lazarus’ own point of view. 
In my version of the story, after Lazarus is awakened from death, he has difficulties regaining his previous identity and confidence. His experience of death has left him fragile and disoriented, and his newfound fame is a burden he does not want. Worse, his faith has been shattered because he remembers nothing of any afterlife. In compelling flashbacks, we learn of Lazarus’ initial meeting with Jesus – during their boyhood in Nazareth – and discover how he came to earn his friend’s trust and gratitude. Back in the present time – during the Passion Week – Jesus tells him, however, that their meeting as young boys was no accident and offers a surprising explanation for why he brought them together. After Jesus’s arrest in the Garden of Gethsemane, Lazarus concludes that his whole life may have been a test for this chance to save his beloved friend from crucifixion. But will Jesus accept Lazarus’ final sacrifice?

Here is the link to the Kindle: https://www.amazon.co.uk...

Happy to hear your opinions of the The Gospel According to Lazarus.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Offline rczimler
10 May 2019, 10:16 AM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

Another Great Review of my new novel THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO LAZARUS

Another great review of my new novel has come out, this time in the Sunday Times.  There's also a good picture of me.
Thanks for your help in spreadin the word about  The Gospel According to Lazarus
All the best,
Richard Zimler
https://www.thetimes.co.uk...
Offline rczimler
14 May 2019, 07:47 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

The Gospel According to Lazarus named one of the Best Book of the Year!

THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO LAZARUS named by Sunday TImes as one of the BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR!  "A must read"!The link is here: 
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.thetimes.co.uk...

[/font]
[/font]
Offline rczimler
20 May 2019, 03:32 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

Offline rczimler
28 May 2019, 08:15 AM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

RE: Great Review of my new novel THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO LAZARUS

A glorious review of The Gospel According to Lazarus has just been put up on Amazon: 
Richard Zimler is one of my favorite contemporary  novelists. He has published 11 novels to much critical success. And now comes his latest.
The New Testament (certainly with other priorities) doesn’t go into much detail about the resurrection of Lazarus (Book of John, Chapter 11), but now Richard Zimler takes up this miraculous event and turns it into a novel that is at once gripping, beautifully written, and with a tone that evokes great compassion with the publication this spring of “The Gospel According to Lazarus.”
It could be said that a mere mortal has cheated death’s inevitability (Four days after Lazarus has passed away, Jesus goes to his tomb and raises him back to life). And here, Zimler addresses the questions: Was he happy? Did he see grand opportunities now that he’s given a second chance? He does so without making this a heavy-handed theological debate, thankfully.
In “Gospel,” he provides just enough background from this familiar story to reassure us of a sound read with a good background for Lazarus as a character in this novel. After he has been resurrected, he finds himself bewildered over the event, as would be expected. We meet his sisters Martha and Mary, who always seem to be fussing at each other, other family members, and in and out of his house come various apostles, sceptics, and believers. What is striking early on is the establishment of the relationship between Lazarus and Yeshua (Hebrew for Jesus), who, of course, is there after he re-awakens. Here, interestingly enough, we find that at an early age Lazarus had saved Yeshua from drowning and now he’s repaying the favor. Their relationship goes back quite a while.
Zimler does not choose to attack, even criticize, Christianity (spoiler alert!). What is remarkable is that he gives both characters more down to earth human characteristics (after all, both were “of this earth”). More has been written about Jesus, the individual, than any other on Earth; Zimler just adds another interpretation, an incredible softness, a sentimentality of their lives as they knew each other, and of an understanding that transcends, yes, even religion. And in doing all this, the author has made his latest novel actually a page turner, it is so gripping. Add to all this, too, is the other aspects of humanity: the “human side” of this picture, as he doesn’t forget to include such things as social and cultural rivalry, the struggles between the powers that be at that time (Rome and Judaism), and, of course, the Sacrifice.
Foreboding and foreshadowing is the dramatic irony: we know eventually what happens to Yeshua—readers cannot overlook this.
“The Gospel According to Lazarus” is one of the most powerful books I’ve read in a long time. Early on, I became a fan of Zimler’s when I read his “Last Kabbalist of Lisbon,” “The Warsaw Anagams” and “The Seventh Gate.” This one is my favorite.
Offline rczimler
13 Jun 2019, 09:23 AM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

booktrailer for THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO LAZARUS

Offline rczimler
21 Jun 2019, 09:12 AM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

RE: Great Review of my new novel THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO LAZARUS

My excellent radio interview on Radio Sefarad (English-language Spanish broadcaster) is now available.  I talk about THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO LAZARUS, ancient Jewish mysticism, the historical Jesus and how I research my books.  It's here: https://www.radiosefarad.com...
Offline rczimler
26 Jun 2019, 04:58 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

Offline rczimler
27 Jun 2019, 02:42 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times