Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Non Dan Brown recommendations please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Snowman
23 Sep 2018, 04:27 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Non Dan Brown recommendations please

This post was last modified: 23 Sep 2018 04:29 PM by Snowman.
Hi,
I have a problem in that while I like novels with the general theme of historical mysteries, everything seems to be compared to Dan Brown.   Now I'm sure that I'm not the only one out there who thinks that Dan Brown is a lousy writer and anything that compares to Dan Brown is therefore bound to be rubbish.   In other words a sure way of putting me off a book is to say that it's 'a must read for all fans of Dan Brown'.   For me that's the kiss of death.

What puts me off is that Dan Brown presents so much fiction as being fact.   What I mean by that is that he uses background fact to illustrate a fictional premise that isn't fact at all.   Some people respond to that by saying 'well it's just fiction so it doesn't matter', but I think it does.   For example one of the Scott Mariani books (now his books are good fun) uses the history of the Cathars as a basis, and that history does have a basis in fact, whereas The Da Vinci Code contains evidence supporting his fiction that is itself fiction, or at least evidence so ill-researched that it's as good as fiction. 

I was just looking at some Paul Sussman Kindle books which looked good until I noticed the '... must read ... Dan Brown ...', so have held back from buying.   I then thought perhaps I should come to this forum to get ideas from you good people as to places to look for a good read.   Please don't anyone suggest the Matt Drake series as I thought they made Dan Brown look quite good.

I'm not looking to get into an argument over, and will not be drawn into a discussion on the pros and cons of Dan Brown's output (or the prodigious Matt Drake stuff either), I'd just like to have some idea of what is wheat and what is chaff from the huge amount of material that's out there.

Thanks.
---
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
23 Sep 2018, 04:46 PM | Post: #2

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

RE: Non Dan Brown recommendations please

You might like 'Labyrinth' by Kate Mosse, although it does go into the realms of fantasy it is (in my opinion) better written than the Da Vinci Code.
[Image: C15Mdg7JBaS._SL95.png]  [Image: B1hPVOedslS._SL95.png]
Offline Snowman
23 Sep 2018, 09:20 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

RE: Non Dan Brown recommendations please

Thanks for replying Cecilia.   I had previously looked at Labyrinth and discarded it for some reason.   Perhaps time to revisit.
---

Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations