Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Kindle 3 has become very slow recently.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline jacom700 Reading
23 Apr 2011, 09:57 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Kindle 3 has become very slow recently.

In the last month or so my Kindle 3 has become very slow doing anything other than reading a book. Every time I press the Home of Back button it takes 20-30 secs to respond which mean that moving a book from one Collection to another can take upwards of 1 minute. Turning page whilst reading is still the same speed but going back to the Collections page afterwards plus most other functions is very slow. I have about 650 books on the Kindle and it is showing 2411 MB free and is using OS version 3.1(558700031). Any help would be appreciated.
Offline Phil Reading Gallows View - Peter Robinson
23 Apr 2011, 10:17 AM | Post: #2

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

RE: Kindle 3 has become very slow recently.

Have you tried rebooting the Kindle ?

ie, Completely power down the Kindle (hold the power slider for 15 secs or so till the screen switches off) and then powering it back up again.
Offline jacom700 Reading
26 Apr 2011, 08:02 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Yes, I have done that a couple of times buy still no difference. I tried taking everything off and rebooting then put books back in lots of 100 waiting about a day so it could do any indexing needed before putting the next lot of book on. That didn't make any difference either. This seems to have happened since the last OS update as before that I don't remember have any problems.
Offline Phil Reading Gallows View - Peter Robinson
26 Apr 2011, 08:42 AM | Post: #4

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

Does it do it when you only have a few books on as well ?

I've not had my Kindle very long so don't have a huge collection of books on it but I've probably got just short of a 100 books and samples on at the moment and everything seems ok.

It might be worth giving Amazon support a ring.
Offline lexman
18 Aug 2011, 12:07 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

For some time now my Kindle 3 suffers from symptoms described in first post. Every time I click Home button, it takes more than 20 seconds to do that. Reading works as usual - once I start reading book, it all works as always. I checked index, but it's not that (trying to find some silly combination of letters returns "0 found" and no message of any non-indexed book(s)). Up until recently, I had quite a large collection of books on my Kindle (> 1.000), and I deleted most of them trying to speed up my Kindle but with no luck. Currently, there is less than 200 loaded, and I don't think that should be problem for Kindle 3, right?

If anyone has any idea what to do to make my Kindle fast as it was when I bought it - please say.
Offline Susanne Reading The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson
18 Aug 2011, 12:36 PM | Post: #6

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(18 Aug 2011 12:07 PM)lexman Wrote:  For some time now my Kindle 3 suffers from symptoms described in first post. Every time I click Home button, it takes more than 20 seconds to do that. Reading works as usual - once I start reading book, it all works as always. I checked index, but it's not that (trying to find some silly combination of letters returns "0 found" and no message of any non-indexed book(s)). Up until recently, I had quite a large collection of books on my Kindle (> 1.000), and I deleted most of them trying to speed up my Kindle but with no luck. Currently, there is less than 200 loaded, and I don't think that should be problem for Kindle 3, right?

If anyone has any idea what to do to make my Kindle fast as it was when I bought it - please say.

Just a quick question - you are not turning off your Kindle completely every time, are you? (rather than pushing the slide quickly to bring up the screensaver). If you turn off completely, it will have to re-index when switched back on which will take time.

As Amazon say you can have at least 3,000 books on the Kindle, the 1,000 you did have should not have been a problem.

No harm in giving Customer Service a call, they are very helpful.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
18 Aug 2011, 12:37 PM | Post: #7

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

It probably sounds obvious, but have you tried doing a full reboot of the Kindle (slide sleep buton for 15+ seconds, or choose reboot from the main menu)?

Other than this, I would suggest connecting it to your PC, backing up and then emptying the Documents folder and then rebooting.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline Bricorn
18 Aug 2011, 07:07 PM | Post: #8

DXG user

Thanked 3 times

When you deleted all the books, was that via your PC?
If so, did you delete the indexes as well?
That does need done as well. If you don't the Kindle seems to keep "looking" for the books that it still has the indexes for.
Offline lexman
19 Aug 2011, 12:37 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

(18 Aug 2011 12:36 PM)Susanne Wrote:  Just a quick question - you are not turning off your Kindle completely every time, are you? (rather than pushing the slide quickly to bring up the screensaver). If you turn off completely, it will have to re-index when switched back on which will take time.

As Amazon say you can have at least 3,000 books on the Kindle, the 1,000 you did have should not have been a problem.

No harm in giving Customer Service a call, they are very helpful.

When I'm done with reading I usually just push the slide to bring screensaver. Sometimes, I even don't do that, just let it go and eventually screen saver starts...

Yes, I also believe that 1.000 books should not be a problem, but...

(18 Aug 2011 12:37 PM)Lou Wrote:  It probably sounds obvious, but have you tried doing a full reboot of the Kindle (slide sleep buton for 15+ seconds, or choose reboot from the main menu)?

Tryed full reboot in 3 or 4 ocassions but no luck with that either.

(18 Aug 2011 12:37 PM)Lou Wrote:  Other than this, I would suggest connecting it to your PC, backing up and then emptying the Documents folder and then rebooting.

I might try that. If I do, is it enough to keep just azw files or I need to backup all the others as well? I don't really care for bookmarks (except for the book I read at a time doing that), so I guess others files are not necessary, but would like a confirmation.

(18 Aug 2011 07:07 PM)Bricorn Wrote:  When you deleted all the books, was that via your PC?
If so, did you delete the indexes as well?
That does need done as well. If you don't the Kindle seems to keep "looking" for the books that it still has the indexes for.

I deleted books via PC, together with some other files named the same as books, but with other extensions (all those files sometimes 1 and sometimes 3-4 of them were positioned in same folder as books itself). Is there some special folder with indexes which I should also delete?
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
19 Aug 2011, 02:00 PM | Post: #10

Administrator

Thanked 72 times

What I Read

I don't think the indexes are in a separate folder. If you empty the documents folder and just transfer back the azw file.

It's possible that there's a corrupted book in your library somewhere, so you could try adding them back in batches and then checking if anythings started to slow down.
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Sci Fi & Fantasy
Currently Reading:Gallows View - Peter Robinson Last Book I Read:The House of Silk by Anthony Horowi Favourite Genres:Thrillers / CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson Last Book I Read:The Summer Son by Craig Lancaster Favourite Genres:contemporary fiction, literary fiction, crime/thriller,Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations