Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Non US authors penalised by Amazon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline sibelhodge
22 Apr 2011, 04:39 PM | Post: #1

Posting Freak

Thanked 6 times

What I Read

Non US authors penalised by Amazon

This post was last modified: 22 Apr 2011 04:43 PM by sibelhodge.
At the moment non US authors aren't able to get money paid by EFT in sterling into their UK accounts. But US authors are able to get payments from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de paid into their US accounts in either sterling or dollars. This is penalising non US authors. I've sent an email to Amazon to query this, asking if they can change their policy. The more non US authors who do this, the more it might make them amend their policy. So if you're a non US author affected by this, please take a moment to contact KDP.
[Image: 81c4a70ec2a00ad8976f4e.L._V379063763_SX200_.jpg]
Award Winning & Bestselling Author
www.sibelhodge.com
Offline declanconner
22 Apr 2011, 06:29 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: Non US authors penalised by Amazon

It is awkward recieving cheques. But then it would be expensive for them to send money through the international swift system. It is a pity they don't do the same as smashwords, where you can be paid via Pay Pal. I have previously taken issue with them on this subject and it is something that they say is constantly under review.

By far the biggest stubling block for me is the 30% wthholding tax, deducted from the royalties of other than American residents, unless you can prove your identity and any tax treaty that will reduce the withholding tax. (Zero. for British authors) The British tax authority do not ask for the same for American Authors. If you want to know how to make an application, go to my website and I have a free guide on how to apply. There is an article in the archives, but the main one is under. 'Formatting for POD'.

http://declanconner.com
Offline sibelhodge
23 Apr 2011, 05:54 AM | Post: #3

Posting Freak

Thanked 6 times

What I Read

(22 Apr 2011 06:29 PM)declanconner Wrote:  It is awkward recieving cheques. But then it would be expensive for them to send money through the international swift system. It is a pity they don't do the same as smashwords, where you can be paid via Pay Pal. I have previously taken issue with them on this subject and it is something that they say is constantly under review.

By far the biggest stubling block for me is the 30% wthholding tax, deducted from the royalties of other than American residents, unless you can prove your identity and any tax treaty that will reduce the withholding tax. (Zero. for British authors) The British tax authority do not ask for the same for American Authors. If you want to know how to make an application, go to my website and I have a free guide on how to apply. There is an article in the archives, but the main one is under. 'Formatting for POD'.

http://declanconner.com

You're absolutely right. Although I don't think Swift transfer costs that much, probably comparable to paying in a US dollar cheque. It would make it so much easier if they paid by EFT or Paypal.
[Image: 81c4a70ec2a00ad8976f4e.L._V379063763_SX200_.jpg]
Award Winning & Bestselling Author
www.sibelhodge.com
Offline Trace Reading
23 Apr 2011, 02:30 PM | Post: #4

Veteran Member

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I'm an Aussie author and would find it hugely beneficial to be paid via PayPal - why Amazon don't use that function I have no idea.
Offline declanconner
26 Apr 2011, 10:46 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

Well well. what a turn up. Waiting for me in my email box was message form Amazon saying they can now pay European customers by electroninic funds transfer. Of course you have to live in Europe and it only applies to Amazon.co.uk amd Amazom. de and not to Amazon.com, which they still insist in sending out in dollars. Still, its a start.
Offline Bob Mayer
29 Apr 2011, 01:00 AM | Post: #6

Author

Thanked 10 times

Well as a US author I get paid by UK Amazon in GBP so I think it's the same all around.
[Image: 51PLdXTttvL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51bIT2dEJEL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 512Dq8FMeHL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51H8%2B5mSoBL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51n-cSJ5OoL.jpg]
Offline declanconner
05 May 2011, 10:55 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

(29 Apr 2011 01:00 AM)Bob Mayer Wrote:  Well as a US author I get paid by UK Amazon in GBP so I think it's the same all around.

Clapping hands At least you don't have to pay withholding tax. But of course you are right, I had not thought of that. Kindle Sad Come on Amazon, sort it out.Tantrum
Offline DavidGaughran
09 May 2011, 11:12 AM | Post: #8

Let's Get Digital, Digital

Thanked 0 times

As an author that is not in the US or the UK (or Germany), I get cheques all round, which is a pain.
[Image: 51L5p9HaKXL._SL124_.jpg] A complete guide to digital self-publishing for only £1.71
Offline bazmaz
09 May 2011, 09:59 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

In what way are we penalised?

I had to pay a small fee to cash my first US sales cheque, but I will set that off against my tax declaration.

Of course, I would prefer paypal, but you pay fees to use that too, and their dollar conversion rate is dreadful IMHO (as I just found with my Paypal payment from Smashwords)
Offline DavidGaughran
09 May 2011, 10:55 PM | Post: #10

Let's Get Digital, Digital

Thanked 0 times

(09 May 2011 09:59 PM)bazmaz Wrote:  In what way are we penalised?

I had to pay a small fee to cash my first US sales cheque, but I will set that off against my tax declaration.

Of course, I would prefer paypal, but you pay fees to use that too, and their dollar conversion rate is dreadful IMHO (as I just found with my Paypal payment from Smashwords)

You wouldn't believe the fees for cashing a US cheque in Sweden.

I will have to cash mine in Ireland when I am home every few months.

Not ideal for all sorts of reasons.
[Image: 51L5p9HaKXL._SL124_.jpg] A complete guide to digital self-publishing for only £1.71

Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, Crime/Thriller, Mystery, Comedy