Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Problems with Virgin Media Super Hub

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
19 Apr 2011, 07:55 AM | Post: #1

Administrator

Thanked 69 times

What I Read

Problems with Virgin Media Super Hub

I was wondering if anyone else here was using the dreaded Virgin Media Super Hub at all.

Mine has now been upgraded with the bugger R25 firmware (automatically, not through my choosing) and is behaving like a real dog.

Anyone else experiencing this at all? There are loads of reports from other people around the net and nobody seems to have a proper solution.

It's driving me crazy. Tantrum
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline Phil Reading The Circle - Dave Eggers
19 Apr 2011, 08:50 PM | Post: #2

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

RE: Problems with Virgin Media Super Hub

I've only recently received the superhub after complaining about very slow connections in the evenings. They upgraded me to 30Mbps and sent me the superhub, but my connection has gone worse since the upgrade. This happens every time Virgin play about with the speed's. I fed up with it. I just want a steady Internet connection I couldn't care less about 10, 20, 30 50Mbps but Virgin seem obsessed with saying they are the fastest, but then they complain and introduce band width caps and throttling. I'm just waiting now until the end of the football season (wife's orders) and then cancelling completely with Virgin.

What problems do you get with the new firmware ?
19 Apr 2011, 08:53 PM | Post: #3

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 19 Apr 2011 08:54 PM by Phil.
Just checked the firmware in mine and found it's also V5.5.2R25. I don't know if this has recently changed though as I've only had a Super Hub a few weeks and didn't note what it was original.

So what problems am I likely to see ?
Offline Jilli-an Reading Guilty as Sin Adam Cross
19 Apr 2011, 09:38 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Have not got a clue of what you are talking about. Our internet connection has always stopped and started. Have been with them for seven years and they came to change something and it was the original telewest thingy. Our contract came to an end earlier this month and we decided that we did not want to stay with them. Got call after call trying to keep us. Eventually we got new thingys and have saved £25 per month.Thumbs Up . Not had to traipsed to the top of the house to switch on and off. Who knows we may have what you've got.
19 Apr 2011, 09:48 PM | Post: #5

Administrator

Thanked 69 times

What I Read

Lots of people have been reporting drop-outs when watching video content as well as failed downloads. Personally, I haven't experienced this yet, but am having lots of very slow / stalled web pages and frequent time-outs when using FTP.

This only started after the firmware update.
Offline Matt Reading The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
20 Apr 2011, 08:59 AM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I've had 30mbit and the superhub for a few weeks now and have finally got it mostly stable. What worked for me was having the superhub function as a modem only and the routing of the network traffic be handled by my own Buffalo router.

Before the "fix" my girlfriends wifi connection on her laptop would drop out quite a few times each day. The dropouts normally happened when numerous connections were used. For example, when using a torrent client or when trying to watch an mkv movie over our lan. The only solution was to reboot the superhub and after that try to use only one connection or perform one task at a time. Screwloose

The first thing I did was to turn off the superhubs firewall and uncheck "IP Flood Detection". From viewing various posts on the VM forums disabling those two options has helped a fair few people. To use your own router to handle the network traffic you need to follow these instructions:

(This was copy/pasted directly from the VM Forums)

Post below originally posted by DJ_Shadow and Sephiroth:

• Plug your cable router’s WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the Hub.

• Plug your PC into any Hub LAN port and access the management page. 192.168.0.1

• On the LAN IP page examine the DHCP lease info; you should see your PC and the second router. Note the MAC address of the router and add it to the DHCP reservation section and give the second router an IP address of say 192.168.0.10. (Use ipconfig/all in a cmd window to find the MAC address of your PC if your not sure which is which.)

• Now go to the DMZ host page on the Hub and enter the same IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.10). This means that the Hub will pass all traffic to the second router without any checks or filters.

• Turn off the second router and back on again, plug your PC into the second router, login and set the router’s login page to "Does your Internet connection require a login" to NO and then you should see the WAN or Internet as 192.168.0.10.

• You’re ready

• Don't forget to disable wireless on the Hub and use the wireless on the second router. It is also best to turn the firewall off on the Hub.

I also suggest your turn off flood protection under services if you have not already.

Tazz

It took me a couple of goes to finally get my head around what I was actually doing but it was worth any effort. Connection dropouts are pretty infrequent now. In fact I think the only time the connection died was when VM were doing some maintenance in the Liverpool area.

The added benefits of being able to use your own router are that you're already familiar with how in functions, it probably has a better wireless range than the superhub and if you set static IP addresses for devices in your home before you had the superhub you can now go back to your old IP range instead of using the superhubs range.

I hope at least some of this makes sense and good luck! Thumbs Up
20 Apr 2011, 09:16 AM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

A couple of other things I forgot to mention.

The firmware I'm using is V5.5.2R25. I did the fw update last week and didn't notice a degradation in connection quality using my own router, obviously.

VM have said that they're releasing a firmware update in May which will disable IP Flood Detection and the firewall by default and most importantly will allow users the option to use their own modem. The method I detailed earlier were a sort of quick and dirty but useable workaround.
20 Apr 2011, 12:17 PM | Post: #8

Administrator

Thanked 69 times

What I Read

Hi Matt,

That's pretty useful and maybe something I'll resort to if the problems persist.

The Super Hub is made by Linksys, so I can't understand why there are so many issues with it although I have always preferred Netgear. It's the timeouts with FTP and SSH that are causing me most problems - I have had to enable keep-alives to be able to do anything useful. Also pretty crappy with the router is the fact that it does not forward DNS and you have to remember Virgin's DNS servers if you switch a lot like me.
20 Apr 2011, 06:32 PM | Post: #9

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

I've been getting problems for a while now, longer than the time I've had the SuperHub, they sent me the Superhub when I rang up to cancel my services due to the poor performance. They blamed my older cable modem, but I explained it can;t be the modem as it works ok very late at night early morning, it's peak periods when it doesn't work.

My problems have been stalled page loads on websites, stuttering video playback on bbc news, iplayer etc. I download mostly from usenet and that all but useless at the moment, I'm happy if I manage 1Mbps. Regularly get stalled connections and corruption of the downloads due to all the timeout and I have to sit their all night and nurse maid the files home. I'm sure the problem is Virgin are playing with bandwidth throttling and reducing the bandwidth to the services that carry the most traffic but they keep advertising they are the fastest and have unlimited downloads etc and always deny it's them and instead always blame your equipment. I just want a connection that works even if thats only 5Mbps or 10Mbps, I couldn't care less about having 30Mbps or 50Mbps.
21 Apr 2011, 04:54 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(20 Apr 2011 12:17 PM)Lou Wrote:  Hi Matt,

That's pretty useful and maybe something I'll resort to if the problems persist.

The Super Hub is made by Linksys, so I can't understand why there are so many issues with it although I have always preferred Netgear. It's the timeouts with FTP and SSH that are causing me most problems - I have had to enable keep-alives to be able to do anything useful. Also pretty crappy with the router is the fact that it does not forward DNS and you have to remember Virgin's DNS servers if you switch a lot like me.

Lou, I believe the superhub is based on a Netgear VMDG480. It's definitely not up the usual standard of Netgear products. A drastic overhaul of the current firmware is needed for the superhub to become stable and perform to the same standards as a seperate router.

It would definitely be worth your time posting on the VM forum regarding the problems you're experiencing with FTP, SSH and DNS. It's almost guaranteed they are causing other folks similar problems.

I use FTP quite a lot to transfer my PS3 game backups from my PC to my external hard drive (which is hooked up to the PS3) and have never experienced any issues even though I'm often transferring 5-25gb of data in one session. Perhaps problems occur when FTP'ing outside of the LAN but I've yet to try that.

Seems like you're testing your network capabilities more than I am and so, as a consequence you're discovering more errors with the firmware.

Another thing worth considering is that the power supply for the superhub may be outputting the incorrect power. There have been threads on the VM forum about users internet connections dropping or webpages and net services freezing. In some cases they were told to check their power levels. It's possible to check power levels (I think) in the superhub firmware.

I don't think the superhub is going to be stable until at least another 2 or 3 firmware updates. Virgin Media never should have rolled out such an ill conceived and under tested piece of kit.

Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Circle - Dave Eggers Last Book I Read:The Cuckoo Calling by Robert Galbraith Favourite Genres:Thrillers / CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Guilty as Sin Adam Cross Last Book I Read:Limitless Alan Glynn Favourite Genres:Whatever takes may fancy on the day
Currently Reading:The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith Last Book I Read:The Light Between Oceans - M.L. Stedman Favourite Genres:|Non-Fic||Thrillers||Mystery|