Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

If you lose your Kindle...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline andyjenk
18 Apr 2011, 07:24 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

If you lose your Kindle...

This tip is for a "welcome page" giving contact information if someone finds your Kindle.

Create a document called "__Read Me" so that it is obvious. Edit the metadata to insert underscores at the start of Author and Title so it sorts to the front,
and put your contact details on.

I'm offering a free version as part of my Kindlofax promotion.
This says:

"Welcome to My Kindle
Please click on the number: "

After "number:" is a hidden location where you can start typing your contact details. When you save the note a [1] will appear.

There are also about 140 "hidden locations" below that where you can make notes - a useful quick-access place to jot down a phone number etc.

For your free copy email: POWoffer at virginmedia dot com
You will not be spammed or asked to buy anything.

PLEASE DO NOT PUT ANY INFORMATION ON YOUR KINDLE WHICH YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO HAVE STOLEN.
Offline Susanne Reading The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson
18 Apr 2011, 08:41 AM | Post: #2

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

RE: If you lose your Kindle...

I've put my contact details in the Settings/Personal details. Agreed, it's not immediately obvious who the Kindle belongs to, but I also have a Post-it on the side of the cover with the same.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Offline andyjenk
18 Apr 2011, 09:10 AM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

Nothing wrong with low-tech solutionsSmile
What do you do about taking notes when you are out and about? Do yo carry paper and pen as well as your Kindle or do you just add a note to what you are currently reading?
18 Apr 2011, 10:52 AM | Post: #4

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

I'm a Post-It "addict". Between the Kindle and the cover at the back I have a wodge of Post-Its with notes of interesting books/order of series/interesting websites etc! Of course, I also have various small notebooks/diary/scraps of paper in my handbag! Sad
Offline andyjenk
18 Apr 2011, 11:08 AM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

LOL. I'm a bloke who just carries his KindleShy
18 Apr 2011, 11:17 AM | Post: #6

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 5 times

What I Read

(18 Apr 2011 11:08 AM)andyjenk Wrote:  LOL. I'm a bloke who just carries his KindleShy

I once lost an umbrella - for several weeks - and eventually found it at the bottom of my handbag! Agreed, it was quite a small umbrella. Tongue
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
18 Apr 2011, 11:34 AM | Post: #7

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

In "Personal Info", I've put "If found please email Joo, thank you"

I bought my ipod straight from Apple and they were giving you a free engraving and I did the same there - "If found please email joo".
I figure if it's stolen, you have no chance, but if it's found by an honest person (or recovered by the police) then you have a chance.
Offline Jilli-an Reading Guilty as Sin Adam Cross
19 Apr 2011, 09:55 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I put my name and telephone number in Personal Infomation Page 3 of Settings. I now put my notes in Kindlofax 2011 UK by Andy Jenkinson Saves looking for that elusive pen.
Offline jonrich
26 Jun 2011, 09:13 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

This reminds me of my ex wife! When we had our new burglar alarm fitted she put a post it note of the code for switching it off on the interior switch box in case she forgot the password for turning it off!
---
Offline Alys
27 Jun 2011, 09:50 PM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

Whomever finds your Kindle might not know how to use it or the battery might be flat (and you can't expect the finder to charge it for you!). If you want to be certain that they can see your contact details, then put them on a sticker on the back of your Kindle or inside the cover.

Also the finder might not have an email account (yes, even in this day and age). Don't rely on your email address as the sole contact point. Use a phone number.
---

Currently Reading:The Rose Petal Beach by Dorothy Koomson Last Book I Read:The Summer Son by Craig Lancaster Favourite Genres:contemporary fiction, literary fiction, crime/thriller,Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Guilty as Sin Adam Cross Last Book I Read:Limitless Alan Glynn Favourite Genres:Whatever takes may fancy on the day