Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Buying samples by mistake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline jacom700 Reading
18 Sep 2010, 11:30 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Buying samples by mistake

I have been downloading quite a few books samples and have bought a couple of the ones I wanted. After I have downloaded a sample I move them to my Sample Collection and twice now I have clicked on BUY by mistake. First time it asked if it was a mistake and gave me the option to cancel, the second time it didn't and I have now bought a book which I actually didn't want. I have e-mailed Amazon to see if they will cancel the order and as if there was a way to turn of the BUY option in the menu but haven't hear from them yet.. Does anybody on this forum know if I can turn the BUY option off so I don't make the same mistake again. I have looked and can't find a way to do it. I know I can turn off the Wireless but I tend to forget to do that at times.

TIA John
Offline kindle3
18 Sep 2010, 08:18 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: Buying samples by mistake

I'm also wondering this because it looks like it could be happening quite frequently with just an accidental click.
Tracking UK and US Kindle 3 shipping dates - http://greatkindledeals.blogspot.com

Also subscribe to get alerts of great Kindle deals (incl.accessories) and free and cheap ebooks!
Offline jacom700 Reading
18 Sep 2010, 09:43 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I received reply from Amazon who said I had up to 7 days to change my mind and as I hadn't intended to buy the book they refunded the amount paid.
Offline sibelhodge
19 Sep 2010, 08:50 AM | Post: #4

Posting Freak

Thanked 6 times

What I Read

Yes, you get a refund within 7 days. I think people actually do this a lot by accident.
[Image: 81c4a70ec2a00ad8976f4e.L._V379063763_SX200_.jpg]
Award Winning & Bestselling Author
www.sibelhodge.com
Offline Alan Reading The Hanging Shed (Gordon Ferris)
19 Sep 2010, 09:38 AM | Post: #5

Curmudgeon

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 19 Sep 2010 09:38 AM by Alan.
(19 Sep 2010 08:50 AM)sibelhodge Wrote:  Yes, you get a refund within 7 days. I think people actually do this a lot by accident.

And quite a few deliberately, I shouldn't wonder.
Offline wurzel Reading
25 Sep 2010, 08:25 AM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I have made this slip once and immediately clicked for refund - no problem. Nevertheless I emailed Amazon and asked for a change, to either be able to shut off 1 click or have a confirmation dialogue box to confirm purchase. They said the 1 click enabled them to fulfil the marketing objective of 1 minute to be reading a book purchased. If enough folks ask for a change here or enough folks keep screwing up like I did, then I am sure they will make this function more sensible to use.
Offline ChrisKin
25 Sep 2010, 10:02 AM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

(19 Sep 2010 08:50 AM)sibelhodge Wrote:  Yes, you get a refund within 7 days. I think people actually do this a lot by accident.

Yes, it's easily done - I got a refund after I emailed Amazon CS. I suggested they add something like an 'are you sure?' message, and said they would pass the message on to the developers. Hopefully, they'll get fed up of people emailing them!

Chris
Offline Honoria Glossop
25 Sep 2010, 08:55 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

Hello - I've just joined this forum having owned my Kindle for exactly one week after a very long wait! I have had exactly the same problem - l had already downloaded the app on to my PC - downloaded loads of samples and one complete book. When the Kindle arrived and it had downloaded my pre-orders went into the home page and somehow re-ordered the book which was already on the app! Rang Amazon and they agreed that there must be something wrong and I was refunded my money.

Went into the home page this morning and somehow ordered a book from a different sample again! This time I thought they wouldn't believe me so didn't ask for a refund - fortunately I quite wanted the book anyway but it was still annoying. Will remember to turn of Wifi - but Amazon should sort this out because I know I didn't order the book - also I will stick to the app for downloading samples which seems a safer way of doing it - to me anyway
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
25 Sep 2010, 09:35 PM | Post: #9

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

I think this is a mistake all too easily made. I was searching for a book and accidently clicked "buy" on another book with the same name. The little cursor-thingy is always hovering over "buy" when you navigate onto a book and one false move and you've bought it. The book I bought was an academic manual and rather expensive, so I did get a refund.
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I know this is a daft question but after the refund does Amazon simply delete the book from your account and if so what happens if it has already been transferred to say two seprate Kindles? Do the books remain on the Kindle but not on the account or are rhey removed only when you next synch the Kindle to the computer?

Just wondering

Ian
Happiness "Making daisy chains from flowers that are in reach"

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Sci Fi & Fantasy
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Hanging Shed (Gordon Ferris) Last Book I Read:The Master and Margarita (Bulgakov) Favourite Genres:Words, words, words...
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Cosmology : Classics : 20th Century Novels : Biography
Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations