Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Connecting wifi only Kindle to a mobile

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline chipbutty Reading
12 Mar 2011, 09:36 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Connecting wifi only Kindle to a mobile

I am sure there are plenty of people doing this with 3G less Kindles but I haven't read too many reports. When I asked for a Kindle at xmas I quickly regretted not getting the 3G version. Anyway I looked into connecting my Android to the Kindle and connect to 3G that way. It works great. If you have an Android phone then you're all set. You need at least version 2.2 of Android and a wireless tehthering app or the built in tehthering feature, supporting true wifi hotspot creation. I use an app called Wireless Tether. Not much else to it. Typing this on my Kindle via wireless hot spot created by my Android phone. Hard work typing all this! But I did download a book from the Kindle store earlier with this method.
Offline lizzieh Reading Never let me go
12 Mar 2011, 05:20 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

RE: Connecting wifi only Kindle to a mobile

I await responses to your post chipbutty, as I'd like to tether my Kindle to my BB when away from home.
Offline D14ner
22 Feb 2012, 11:49 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

I've tried just about everything I've read about connecting Kindle to wi-fi. My connects perfectly well to the home wi-fi but refuses to connect to anything else, including my mobile (samsung galaxy ace) hotspot. I've enabled all the settings on the mobile and my laptop connections perfectly. Any fresh ideas on how to connect the Kindle would be much appreciated.
---
Offline D14ner
23 Feb 2012, 12:01 AM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

Wouldn't you just know it. The minute I post a plea for help, I have one last try.

Reboot mobile
Reboot kindle
Try to connect. Failed.
Told it to "forget" home wi-fi connection (which I'd tried before rebooting but to no avail) and it worked!

Now a happy bunny.
---
Offline Lou Reading Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan
23 Feb 2012, 01:02 AM | Post: #5

Administrator

Thanked 85 times

What I Read

Congrats on getting it working Smile
Barnacle Boy! We have to find those stolen Naggy Daddies!
Offline D14ner
23 Feb 2012, 01:28 AM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

Thanks. Had been driving me crazy all evening. Bizarre thing is having connected once after telling it to "forget" and reconnecting to home wi-fi, I've connected again without having to forget.

Do wonder if doing this before leaving home though would make it work in other places where it has previously failed. Must remember to try that one out!
---
Offline Notoriety Reading Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis
23 Feb 2012, 09:53 PM | Post: #7

Posting Freak

Thanked 2 times

What I Read

Very impressed D14ner!

If you "forget" a network you have to re-enter the p/w again. Did it by mistake once - so won't do it again. I now occasionally switch between networks as I effectively run two for different parts of the house but do not need to forget. All I did was to go to Settings and wifi and click on the other network to connect without "forgetting". Whatever, Kindle seems to seek out and "prefer" the strongest signal which makes some sense.

Tony
Arab proverb: Only a fool lends his books and only a fool returns them.
Offline winmillp Reading Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay
05 Jun 2012, 08:59 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I only have a blackberry curve 8520 will I be able to use that.
Reading Kindle enjoying my kindle in sunny Spain

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography by Alan Sugar Favourite Genres:
Currently Reading:Never let me go Last Book I Read:Breaking the silence Favourite Genres:Crime fiction
Currently Reading:Ryria Series by Michael J Sullivan Last Book I Read:King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Favourite Genres:Fantasy / Sci-fi / HorrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Five Days in May by Andrew Adonis Last Book I Read:The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes Favourite Genres:Classics, politics, foreign language, "lit fic", funFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay Last Book I Read:Carressed by Ice. by Nalini Singh Favourite Genres:Historical and paranormal romance , Thrillers Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations