Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Kindle for kids

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline carnivale Reading The sellout by Paul Beatty
08 Dec 2016, 09:48 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

kindle for kids

hi everyone 
i am re-posting this entry as i may have entered it in the wrong section 

I am interested in buying a book reader for my grand-daughter who is 7 years young  and is making great strides in reading.

But there are a few questions to which i cannot find an answer : 
  • i will be buying the kindle as a gift and the idea is that she reads English books .She lives in Barcelona (Spain) : the question is : Will she (her parents) be able to buy more books in English from Barcelona , presumably using a Spanish bank card ?   ( this is a problem i have experienced when living in France where i bought my own kindle , all was fine to buy books in the French language , but for most books in English , i was told that i cannot do so , and now that i live in England , i have no problem in buying Books in English , but i cannot buy most books in French ..i was told that one can go round the problem by changing the bank card to a local one , but if one does it often , Amazon blocks the kindle ... In the case of my grand daughter she will be always buying books in English , but the cards her parents will be using in future will be Spanish and i fear there might be a problem 
  • I believe that i can follow her progress , and what books she buys :  how is that shown : by email or does the info get downloaded on my own kindle ? 
  • Can her progress be monitored by more than one person: for ex  her mother , and me , her grand-dad ? 
If anyone can help me or put me on the right track, i would be most grateful 
All the best [/url][url=http://www.kuforum.co.uk/amazon_search.php?kw=]
---
---
Offline lyndawrites Reading The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars
09 Dec 2016, 05:05 PM | Post: #2

Comma Abuser

Thanked 131 times

What I Read

RE: kindle for kids

This post was last modified: 09 Dec 2016 05:06 PM by lyndawrites.
Hi, Carnivale.

It's great to hear that your granddaughter enjoys reading and well done to you for wanting to encourage it and buy her an e-reader.
The vast majority of books that are uploaded to Amazon are available on all its stores, including Amazon Spain. So, that should not be a problem.
When we bought my 87-year-old mother a Kindle a few years ago, it was registered in my name and linked to hers. You can do this in Manage My Kindle on the Amazon website. Now, whenever I buy a book I can have the download sent to either my Kindle or to my mother's. So, you could buy the books and send them to your granddaughter this way. (Note, this only works with Kindle e-readers)
It might be as well for your son/daughter to purchase the device with money provided by you, if they are going to be the ones buying any books in future. The account will be registered to them, and there should be no problem with Spanish bank cards - especially if they use same to purchase the device.
Do come back if that's not clear, or you have any questions. Good luck, and congratulations on having a granddaughter with such a caring and thoughtful granddad!
[Image: 51WAa-2HmoL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51OHQsDRHwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fpdh2GGlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hPHc37EWL._SL95.jpg]
Offline carnivale Reading The sellout by Paul Beatty
09 Dec 2016, 08:12 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(09 Dec 2016 05:05 PM)lyndawrites Wrote: Wrote:  Hi, Carnivale.

It's great to hear that your granddaughter enjoys reading and well done to you for wanting to encourage it and buy her an e-reader.
The vast majority of books that are uploaded to Amazon are available on all its stores, including Amazon Spain. So, that should not be a problem.
When we bought my 87-year-old mother a Kindle a few years ago, it was registered in my name and linked to hers. You can do this in Manage My Kindle on the Amazon website. Now, whenever I buy a book I can have the download sent to either my Kindle or to my mother's. So, you could buy the books and send them to your granddaughter this way. (Note, this only works with Kindle e-readers)
It might be as well for your son/daughter to purchase the device with money provided by you, if they are going to be the ones buying any books in future. The account will be registered to them, and there should be no problem with Spanish bank cards - especially if they use same to purchase the device.
Do come back if that's not clear, or you have any questions. Good luck, and congratulations on having a granddaughter with such a caring and thoughtful granddad!
Thank you for your kind words Lyndawrites 

may i ask a silly question ? 
What is a Kindle e-readers ?  are they not all e-readers ? 
for ex my own kindle, bought a few years ago  is the plainest of Kindles , no frills , no backlighting , no "fire" and such like 
Does this qualify for sharing a book bought on Amazon with my other half for ex ?  If so, i was not aware of it , and so in a few occasions we felt compelled to buy a book twice when se share the same interest ...on the belief that it was not possible to share with another kindle even in the family ..
Thanking you again
---
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Ticket to The Boneyard by Lawrence Block
09 Dec 2016, 08:46 PM | Post: #4

Author

Thanked 173 times

What I Read

I'm no expert on this, but you can have several Kindles linked to the same Amazon account; I don't know how many. If you download a book to one Kindle, you can pick it up in the Archive of another. At least, that's how it works for the ancient Kindles in our family.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]
Offline IndieAI
10 Dec 2016, 07:14 AM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

I think that the having several kindles on one account is supposed to only be for one person, not two different people. How Amazon would know I have no idea.
There is an exception if you get a children's account, as that can be linked to an adult account. Any book I download I can share with one or both of my daughters.

I think the Kindle ereader thing in an earlier post was distinguishing between actual ereaders and using the Kindle app on another device. For instance, I read mostly on the Kindle app on my 'phone.

As for the language thing, I frequently get my books bought in different European countries (the German store seems to be particularly active) and they must be getting them in English because I've only written one version.
Alasdair Shaw, space opera and military scifi author

[Image: 51XKZlMPkJL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51BTHfdfyRL._SY346_.jpg] [Image: 51G1VCqAYeL.jpg] [Image: 51kjvpjWrmL._SL95.jpg] Website | Mailing List | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

“Some of the best written, original scifi I have come across in a long time.”
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
10 Dec 2016, 09:03 AM | Post: #6

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 220 times

What I Read

I can somehow share my ebooks with my (adult) son who lives at the same address, not that we read anything like the same kind of books so I don't actually do this. I thought it had something to do with our shared Prime membership though.
[Image: 51b2hyXV7KL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fCyqjzJZL._SL95.jpg][Image: 515vvszwp6L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51U3kIhAeRL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51a5cgTHbyL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51P7kwJniTL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41JZawSj25L._SL95.jpg][Image: 41YZP1RE3XL._SL95.jpg]
Offline mountainmetman Reading a hundred words for hate, Thomas Sniegoski
19 Dec 2016, 08:26 AM | Post: #7

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

There is an option on the Amazon account page to manage your devices and content. In here, I believe it's under Settings, you can set up a family library where you can share content across a range of linked accounts/devices.
In this I can read anything my wife has bought and linked to the family library, I can also choose what titles I want shared with the kids; younger themes for the youngest and slightly more mature content for the eldest.
Hopethis helps a little.
Up to a Kindle PaperWhite now, it's just so sleek
My housemate "inherited" my replacement 3G

Currently Reading:The sellout by Paul Beatty Last Book I Read:the other Wes Moore by Wes Moore Favourite Genres:historical novels and mysteries, French classics , Geopolit
Currently Reading:The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars Last Book I Read:Reunited in Death by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Mystery
Currently Reading:A Ticket to The Boneyard by Lawrence Block Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:a hundred words for hate, Thomas Sniegoski Last Book I Read:SABAT (Memoirs of a cold war warrior), Alan Dallison Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Thriller, (Un)popular Science