Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

The inexplicable world of sales on Amazon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Fluffy1 Reading Police Jo Nesbo
28 Nov 2016, 06:17 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

The inexplicable world of sales on Amazon

Apologies for my lengthy absence from these boards but I have been finishing two books while tackling an ever complicated NHS job.
Having spent my past life cack-handedly promoting my work on twitter, facebook, etc, with the end product of having no sales at all for weeks on end, I have come to the conclusion that doing absolutely nothing all will get your book noticed by the internal and obscure workings of the Amazon machine. In othe words, the second book has started selling well for no reason I can see and certainly not on any effort from my part.
I shall therefore adopt this approach for all future offerings!
Bikram
Offline Anna Faversham Reading
29 Nov 2016, 03:34 PM | Post: #2

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 276 times

What I Read

RE: The inexplicable world of sales on Amazon

Perhaps an employee of Amazon read your book and gave it a push? 

The blurbs of both books look enticing, so maybe it is just your hard work paying off.
[Image: 515KxJNxTKL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 510QluvPbnL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 511DbLRLA5L._SL95.jpg]
29 Nov 2016, 05:54 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

I hadn't thought about that, but it is possible.
Thank you for your kind words, Anna.
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
29 Nov 2016, 07:14 PM | Post: #4

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

Some books just sell better than others, with or without significant promotion. It's often hard to see why.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Anna Faversham Reading
02 Dec 2016, 01:16 PM | Post: #5

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 276 times

What I Read

Has anyone else had this happen and can you work out why?
[Image: 515KxJNxTKL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 510QluvPbnL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 511DbLRLA5L._SL95.jpg]
Offline Katherine Roberts Reading I keep forgetting to update this!
02 Dec 2016, 07:54 PM | Post: #6

young fantasy and legend/myth

Thanked 54 times

What I Read

The cover looks great! And it's only 99p... together with an exciting blurb, popular genre and some good reviews then maybe not such a surprise after all?

Also, what categories/keywords did you select? I am convinced that getting your book placed properly in the algorithms makes more difference to sales than any amount of tweeting and blogging.
Offline SteeBee
02 Dec 2016, 10:25 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 8 times

Hi Bikram. I too tried the usual facebook/twitter routes. I don't believe it had any effect on the sales of my debut book. For the past two months or so I haven't bothered with any advertising at all - the result? The book is selling well! 
I certainly won't bother with advertising in the future - I will announce KDP promotions but frankly I don't need to use them at the present time.
[Image: 61hpyazUycL._SL95.jpg][Image: 614WwGzpl9L._SL95.jpg]

Thanked 6 times

What I Read

I think keywords play a large part. Anyone got any tips for choosing keywords?
[Image: 41rp%2BHz4sSL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 41HICiTzQBL._SL95.jpg][Image: 41mJ-Gz22NL._SL95.jpg][Image: 513-6ZoIm3L._SL95.jpg]

[/url][url=http://authl.it/B06XFKJTV4?d]
Offline nigel p bird Reading
03 Dec 2016, 09:46 AM | Post: #9

Posting Freak

Thanked 20 times

What I Read

It's all something of an opaque mystery to me. Enjoy the current flow of sales and here's hoping it can continue for you. Good luck.
Thanks,

nigel

The Shallows
03 Dec 2016, 12:01 PM | Post: #10

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

(02 Dec 2016 07:54 PM)Katherine Roberts Wrote: Wrote:  The cover looks great! And it's only 99p... together with an exciting blurb, popular genre and some good reviews then maybe not such a surprise after all?

Also, what categories/keywords did you select? I am convinced that getting your book placed properly in the algorithms makes more difference to sales than any amount of tweeting and blogging.
Hi Katherine,
Thank you for your kind words.
I am relatively new to all this so just use basic keywords like action thriller. I strongly believe tweeting does very little so stopped a while back.
I am convinced the key to success is getting on the 'customers who bought this item also bought' lists of relatively successful books and that happened by pure luck in my case!
Equally, the moment those books stop selling and you drop down their lists, your sales go down. Not that I'm obsessed or anything....

Currently Reading:Police Jo Nesbo Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Various, not erotica, no more horrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:I keep forgetting to update this! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:fantasy, historical, science fiction, horses, YAFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:On Different Shores – Part 1 of For Their Country’s Good by Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Romance, crime, mystery
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:crime, noir, hard-boiledFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations