Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Does anyone write by hand?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Platypus
19 Oct 2016, 01:52 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Does anyone write by hand?

This post was last modified: 19 Oct 2016 01:53 PM by Platypus.
Does anyone use the old traditional way of writing, pen and paper?

What are the pros and cons of this method?

Thank You
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
19 Oct 2016, 02:54 PM | Post: #2

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

RE: Does anyone write by hand?

No. Largely because I can read my typing and I'd have to type it all out again later, anyway.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
19 Oct 2016, 04:55 PM | Post: #3

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

No, but I do make handwritten notes.

First thoughts though, are:

Pros - don't need batteries / mains / wifi connection
Cons - 1. got to type it all out later. 2. My handwriting.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
19 Oct 2016, 05:35 PM | Post: #4

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

I don't usually do this, as the idea of transcribing a whole novel now seems a bit daunting, but last winter I wrote something shorter (10 chapters - not sure if it's novella length or what) in a notebook and I really liked the experience. I didn't really set out to write 10 chapters, but when I got going it turned itself into that without very much effort. It was as if I had tricked myself into writing by behaving as if it wasn't important enough to use the computer.
I have a feeling I started on it because it was too cold to sit in the conservatory, where my pc is, in the evenings, or it might have been about that time I was scared off by a giant spider...
[Image: C15Mdg7JBaS._SL95.png]  [Image: B1hPVOedslS._SL95.png]
Offline davidwailing Reading
20 Oct 2016, 10:35 AM | Post: #5

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

Interesting question! Once, I did. I wrote my first two novels and a bunch of short stories entirely in longhand. The first book was not only 260,000 words long but written in my bestest handwriting, because I was showing it to friends while I was writing it.

"Why don't you just type your first draft directly on the computer instead of writing it by hand?" everyone said, the smug know-alls. But at the time my typing skills were nonexistent and somehow the act of physically writing with a pen was what got my brain working. I taught myself how to type by painfully transcribing those books onto my Atari ST microcomputer. Dark days indeed.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline Anna Faversham Reading
21 Oct 2016, 09:46 AM | Post: #6

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 276 times

What I Read

(19 Oct 2016 04:55 PM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  No, but I do make handwritten notes.

First thoughts though, are:

Pros - don't need batteries / mains / wifi connection
Cons - 1. got to type it all out later. 2. My handwriting.
Writing a novel by hand?! Ditto, Tim.
[Image: 515KxJNxTKL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 510QluvPbnL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 511DbLRLA5L._SL95.jpg]
Offline EricRomm
25 Oct 2016, 10:12 AM | Post: #7

Thanked 1 times

Not Really. I work online on google drive or make flashcards on Cram. Like ya, I do have a notebook for planning my class. I tick off the topics once I'm done teaching them.
---
Offline Tony Richards Reading The Empire of Time -- David Wingrove
25 Oct 2016, 10:12 PM | Post: #8

Veteran Member

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

Absolutely not. Neither do I make notes by hand, other than extremely brief block capital ones on Post-Its.

Why? Because I can't read my own handwriting, that's why. Never have been able to. They tried to correct it with remedial lessons at school, and threw their hands up in the air after about three months. Doctors have copperplate script compared to my Jackson Pollock scribblings.
Offline Platypus
26 Oct 2016, 03:09 PM | Post: #9

Thanked 0 times

Thanks for your replies. I ask because I recently started writing something by hand, I cant recall why now, but it massively improved my concentration and output. However the typing up afterwards was really tedious.
Offline Raúl Sánchez Gilo Reading
11 Mar 2017, 09:34 PM | Post: #10

Thanked 1 times

What I Read

Definitely all I write now is in pc; I have reached the point of having to think with what hand I used to write ... Pondering
[Image: 51F5%2BsElV7L._SL95.jpg]
Second Edition!

Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Various, not erotica, no more horrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Empire of Time -- David Wingrove Last Book I Read:Incarceron -- Catherine Fisher Favourite Genres:supernatural, dark fantasy, mystery
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read:"De empleado a inversor" -Jota Norte Favourite Genres:business, self-help