Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Olympic Games, Rio 2016

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
04 Aug 2016, 07:59 PM | Post: #1

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

Thumbs Up Olympic Games, Rio 2016

The games have started with the Opening Ceremony tomorrow.
Who is looking forward to it?
Who thinks it will be a disaster?
Who's adjusted their sleeping patterns to Brazil-time?

Let the games begin Shocked
Hedgehogs rock.
04 Aug 2016, 08:00 PM | Post: #2

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

RE: Olympic Games, Rio 2016

I'm running a little competition in work - guess how many medals Team GB will have (at time of start of closing ceremony). I've gone for 50.
Hedgehogs rock.

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

I love the Olympics, Joo, so I hope despite all the issues voiced in the build up it's a huge success. 

I'm not sure the team as a whole is as strong as it was in London  but I'm no expert!

I predicted Matthew Willis to win the inter-school long jump competition in 1986. He finished last with a colossal 38cm after tripping up on the runway. The 38cm was the distance his glasses flew as he hit the ground. One of the lenses broke and he lay on the runway crying as "Monkey" Wright the PE teacher berated him.  Since then I stay well away from sports predictions.
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

Offline davidwailing Reading
05 Aug 2016, 10:34 AM | Post: #4

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

(05 Aug 2016 10:02 AM)DavidHaynes Wrote: Wrote:  I love the Olympics, Joo, so I hope despite all the issues voiced in the build up it's a huge success. 

I'm not sure the team as a whole is as strong as it was in London  but I'm no expert!

I predicted Matthew Willis to win the inter-school long jump competition in 1986. He finished last with a colossal 38cm after tripping up on the runway. The 38cm was the distance his glasses flew as he hit the ground. One of the lenses broke and he lay on the runway crying as "Monkey" Wright the PE teacher berated him.  Since then I stay well away from sports predictions.
Who else wants to see David Haynes write his autobiography?
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline lyndawrites Reading The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars
05 Aug 2016, 04:25 PM | Post: #5

Comma Abuser

Thanked 136 times

What I Read

(05 Aug 2016 10:34 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  
(05 Aug 2016 10:02 AM)DavidHaynes Wrote: Wrote:  I love the Olympics, Joo, so I hope despite all the issues voiced in the build up it's a huge success. 

Who else wants to see David Haynes write his autobiography?

Yes, please!Thumbs Up

I'm looking forward to the athletics, but they don't start until later next week. The time differences don't help me, either - I'm an early to bed, early to rise girl. (Sadly, despite what my mother said, it hasn't made my  healthy, wealthy, or wise. Angry )
[Image: 51WAa-2HmoL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51OHQsDRHwL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51fpdh2GGlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51hPHc37EWL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
05 Aug 2016, 10:35 PM | Post: #6

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

Another vote for the autobiography - as long as it includes the DIY anecdote too. Smile
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
06 Aug 2016, 07:07 AM | Post: #7

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

I shall mostly ignore it (the Olympics, not the autobiography), much like any other sporting event (with the possible exception of air racing and occasionally American Football).
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
06 Aug 2016, 09:15 AM | Post: #8

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

But the joy of the Olympics is watching things you've never seen before, cheering on someone from a country you'd find hard to place, then totally forgetting about it for the next four years Big Grin
Hedgehogs rock.

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 07 Aug 2016 02:46 PM by DavidHaynes.
Being away at the moment I've not seen any of the Olympics yet. But yes you're right Joo, I remember becoming engrossed with the fencing (for so e unknown reason) at the London Olympics. I haven't even thought about it since but I'll watch it this time around. 

DIY disasters nay be making a reappearance when we move, gang. I'm being allowed a new screwdriver, for which Mrs H doesn't yet realise there is a torque/ hammer action attachement you can buy to turn it into a drill! 

I've been laid low for a day of our hols. I drove to the local village to buy some pastries from the patisserie. I went on my own and on the way back I spied a Breton cidre stall at the side of the road. I'd had my eye on it for a while so I stopped and bought three litres of the stuff from an old boy who looked like he knew what good cider should taste like. 

There were no labels on the bottles (all different shapes) and when I poured a glass later it was like syrup. But my god did it pack a punch. Halfway down the second bottle I was rendered immobile and by the third I was unable to speak. Mrs H had tried a glass earlier and declared it, "Vile and possibly dangerous." 

Later that night it moved through me like a Porsche and I spent some time in the trap listening to Mrs H mutter some fairly choice things about me. Twenty four hours later and I'm drinking only iced water. 

Sorry to take the thread off track.
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

07 Aug 2016, 09:48 PM | Post: #10

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

That was the most hideous crash in the ladies cycling. I'm sure everyone expected very bad news but it seems she's "conscious and OK".

And my friend texted me to say "shall we go learn how to fence".
I'm glad she didn't say synchronised diving Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Hedgehogs rock.

Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Third Rule (The Complete Story) by Andrew Barrett Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:The Twopenny-Hat Detective by Brian Sellars Last Book I Read:Reunited in Death by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Mystery
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F