Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

The Joys of Brexit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
27 Jun 2016, 07:03 AM | Post: #1

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

The Joys of Brexit

We voted for you to leave, so now LEAVE!
Actually, you voted for the UK to leave the EU.
Go pack your scumbags. If not, be SCARED!
I'm a UK citizen.
You're Polish vermin, aren't you? And I'm Inglish In'I? <headbutt> Eh!
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Louise Warman Reading
27 Jun 2016, 07:25 AM | Post: #2

Veteran Member

Thanked 48 times

What I Read

RE: The Joys of Brexit

I'm sure there are plenty who keep waking up shocked to find those immigrants are STILL living next door, regardless of the passport they hold.
Over here in Europe my neighbours are horrified (well the ones who have stopped to talk to us about it, anyway), asking if we are going to have to leave. Being told that we are part of the community and should apply for citizenship is heartwarming.
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
27 Jun 2016, 09:10 AM | Post: #3

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

I really hoped to see the end of that pseudo-word Brexit.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
27 Jun 2016, 09:38 AM | Post: #4

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

I've seen Scotxit as well...(Not sure of spelling but that seems academic!)
[Image: C15Mdg7JBaS._SL95.png]  [Image: B1hPVOedslS._SL95.png]
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
27 Jun 2016, 09:54 AM | Post: #5

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

(27 Jun 2016 09:10 AM)Kath Middleton Wrote: Wrote:  I really hoped to see the end of that pseudo-word Brexit.
I promise I won't mention it again. I just wanted to give an immigrant's perspective.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Louise Warman Reading
27 Jun 2016, 09:56 AM | Post: #6

Veteran Member

Thanked 48 times

What I Read

And I've seen Frortie here Sad
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
27 Jun 2016, 11:06 AM | Post: #7

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

The result was so close, especially with the number of non-voters taken into account, that many a non-immigrant is appalled.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
27 Jun 2016, 11:14 AM | Post: #8

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

(27 Jun 2016 09:38 AM)cecilia_writer Wrote: Wrote:  I've seen Scotxit as well...(Not sure of spelling but that seems academic!)
I read that in my head as "Scotbix" and thought it was a new cereal Big Grin
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Anna Faversham Reading
27 Jun 2016, 11:51 AM | Post: #9

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 276 times

What I Read

(27 Jun 2016 07:03 AM)Mads Sorensen Wrote: Wrote:  We voted for you to leave, so now LEAVE!
I'm a UK citizen.
Mads, please don't talk like that. All the Brits I know have viewed the Polish highly positively. I grew up being told that their pilots were the tops, they were a resourceful, loyal, people, etc., etc. 

It really, really pains me to see you thinking I, or anyone else I know, could think like that. Your people are highly respected right across the spectrum,  including the Polish Plumber who I hope has taught other plumbers a thing or two about efficient service.

The innit brigade are not much loved by most of us and they're usually very unhappy people.
[Image: 515KxJNxTKL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 510QluvPbnL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 511DbLRLA5L._SL95.jpg]
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
27 Jun 2016, 11:58 AM | Post: #10

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 27 Jun 2016 12:02 PM by Daphne.
(27 Jun 2016 07:03 AM)Mads Sorensen Wrote: Wrote:  We voted for you to leave, so now LEAVE!
I'm a UK citizen.
I am profoundly sorry that you have encountered this attitude. Unfortunately there will always be a minority of people who are just plain nasty and the issue of immigration was focused on in the referendum in a way that was unhelpful and divisive.

I note that Boris Johnson, the person most likely to lead a “Brexit”, has said: "EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU.” Without doubt the vast majority of people support this view.

But the actual question on the ballot paper was about whether or not we wanted to stay in the EU. Many felt that the EU gave too much power to un-appointed officials, that it was able to make important decisions without them being subject to proper scrutiny, and that democracy would be best served by having decisions which affect the UK made by our own sovereign parliament. Reading through the various treaties which were waved through without the electorate being given either information or choice left me appalled and, honestly, fearful. But history shows that our parliament has always been at the forefront of liberal and tolerant law-making. 

I just hope that our best hopes and not our worst fears are confirmed in the way a departure from the EU is negotiated.
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter

Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Literary fiction, thrillers, travel, food & cookery.Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Various, not erotica, no more horrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations