Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Swisstony
08 May 2016, 09:20 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

Wink Does anyone else have this issue?

Hi, I just wanted to post an issue I have with my Kindle that hasn't as yet been solved. I just wondered if anyone else has the same issue. Below is the original comments I made on the Amazon help forum. I was then contacted and spent 90 minutes online with a nice chap trying to solve the problem, unfortunately without success.
This has now been ongoing for 3 weeks, and this morning a technician (Not the one dealing with my problem) responded saying "In this case, I suggest you to do factory reset the Kindle device and then try updating the software manually on your Kindle device". At this point I admit to sending a slightly sarcastic response, which wont do any good but made me feel better.Whistle
Quote: Last week my Kindle (5th Generation) decided to 'Have a moment' and would have appeared to have reset itself to a previous version as I can no longer download books.
So, I followed the instructions for updating (currently 4.1.1) doing 4.1.2 first. The Kindle said "Update successful" however, the version number still say's 4.1.1. I loaded both version updates 4.1.2 & 4.1.3 on the Kindle (not in a folder) and tried that, again the Kindle said "Update successful" but again, the Kindle restarts and the version is still 4.1.1.
If I press "Sync & Check for Items" it says "Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time."
Am I doing something wrong?
Offline Swisstony
13 May 2016, 04:00 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 0 times

RE: Does anyone else have this issue?

Sorry, still ongoing. There appears to be no more help forthcoming, however, a technician suggested I try a Factory reset........ShockedAngryScrewloose
Offline l_macd
14 May 2016, 01:57 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 11 times

I presume your laughter at the technicians means you have tried doing a factory reset and then going through the incremental update process again?

If so I'd suggest heading over to the Mobile Read forums and asking for help in the Amazon Kindle forum, as there are some pretty knowledgeble people who might be able to give you some other ideas.
Offline George Hamilton
15 May 2016, 08:03 AM | Post: #4

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 108 times

What I Read

I had problems updating my Kindle Touch using Wifi download. a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly, I had to download the file onto my laptop, then transfer it to the Kindle Touch folder and update it from there, which worked, as I now have a letter from Amazon on the kindle saying I am up to date. There were some instructions on Amazon about how to update using the method I used, but not sure where to find that now.
Offline l_macd
15 May 2016, 09:54 AM | Post: #5

Thanked 11 times

This post was last modified: 15 May 2016 09:55 AM by l_macd.
The problem isn't because the Kindle re-set itself to an older firmware, but that Amazon has done something at their end that required everyone to have up-to-date firmware on their Kindle's if they wanted to be able to continue to connect wirelessly to the Amazon servers. If you didn't update the firmware, after a certain date, your Kindle can no longer connect via wi-fi to Amazon. This also means you can't get the updates OTA, and have to download them from the Amazon website to a computer and then install them manually on your Kindle (you do this by copying the update file to the root directory of the Kindle, then via the settings menu on the Kindle, choose the 'Update Your Kindle' option).

It sounds like this is what Swisstony has indeed done, but for some reason, his Kindle is still on the original firmware, so therefore can't connect to the Amazon servers.

Personally, I'd back up all my books from my Kindle, factory reset it via the Kindle menu, check the firmware version, download whatever firmware updates it needs, then go through the manual update process again, one at a time, checking each time via the settings that the updated firmware has indeed installed. Not sure whether Swisstony has tried this or not?
Offline Swisstony
15 May 2016, 03:38 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

L_macd; Thanks for the suggestion about Mobileread.com. I have been over there and posted. Thumbs Up

Regarding your last paragraph. I have tried this several times now. When the update has finished it say's "Update successful" but when you view the current firmware it is still version 4.1.1
I went through this several times with a Technician named Vignesh (Very nice chap) online. Tried everything over 90 minutes. And then tried other things they emailed me including sending log files. Which is why I lost my rag when I had one suggesting I tried a factory reset again. Still ongoing but I am thinking the worst. Sad

As an aside, this Kindle is my wife's. She had a keyboard Kindle, but that developed serious problems, so I bought her this one. I have a Touch Kindle, which I have been letting her use until hers is fixed. However, I am not looking forward to telling her that you cannot buy a new "Non Touch" Kindle anymore. She hates the Touch screen. Devil
Offline Swisstony
10 Jun 2016, 04:20 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 0 times

UPDATE Sad

3 1/2 weeks further on and the help line seems to have abandoned me.
If I ask them a question or ask how things are going they just ask for more log files. Since I am not using it because I cannot download books, there ARE no log files.
Anyhow, does anyone know if it is possible to either:
(1) Use my working Kindle to download books directly to my Non-Updating Kindle.
(2) Or, upload a book from my working Kindle, to my PC, and then to my Non-Updating Kindle.
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
10 Jun 2016, 05:53 PM | Post: #8

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

I think you should find all the books you've downloaded are in your Cloud Library, which you can access from your Amazon account, and from there you should be able to download them on to another Kindle. Unless you've been very tidy and deleted them from the Cloud.
[Image: C15Mdg7JBaS._SL95.png]  [Image: B1hPVOedslS._SL95.png]
Offline George Hamilton
11 Jun 2016, 08:48 AM | Post: #9

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 108 times

What I Read

If nothing else works, try downloading Calibre Ebook manager to a computer, sync your ebooks from the working Kindle to it, then try connecting the Kindle that does not work and sync from Calibre to that Kindle.
Offline Swisstony
11 Jun 2016, 10:06 AM | Post: #10

Thanked 0 times

Thanks for the suggestions Guy's.
George, I will certainly try the Calibre Ebook manager. I will let you know the results.

Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations