Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Preparing for Triffid Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
06 May 2016, 08:18 AM | Post: #1

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

Preparing for Triffid Day

Triffid Day, as you all know, is the 8th of May. So only a couple of days to prepare - triffid cakes, green fairy lights (yes, I have some) and, of course, the full collection of Triffid films/series to watch. My personal recommendation is the wonderful BBC adaption from 1981 with John Duttine and Emma Relph. There is a more recent version with Dougray Scott and Eddie Izzard which is also worth a watch. There is also a very good radio version available as an audiobook Here. And any other versions you can recommend.

[Image: DSC00200_zpssc0jwuvu.jpg]
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
06 May 2016, 08:27 AM | Post: #2

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

RE: Preparing for Triffid Day

[Image: 009_zpsc740068f.jpg]

Recipe for Triffid Cookies:

6oz flour
4oz butter
2oz sugar
Half cup of mashed triffid*
Bake for 30 mins in warm oven.

* can be replaced with chopped rhubarb and fresh ginger to taste

Any other recipe suggestions welcome. Smile
Offline davidwailing Reading
06 May 2016, 09:54 AM | Post: #3

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

How did I not know about Triffid Day?! I'd be far too scared to eat Triffid cookies...

I'd love to see the old 1981 TV version again. I enjoyed the recent version but still don't think there's been a definitive adaptation.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
06 May 2016, 10:04 AM | Post: #4

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

The 1981 tv version resulted in my older son developing an irrational fear of plants!
(or was it irrational?)
I didn't know there was a triffid day but it sounds like a good excuse for a party with cookies anyway.
06 May 2016, 10:42 AM | Post: #5

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

(06 May 2016 09:54 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  How did I not know about Triffid Day?! I'd be far too scared to eat Triffid cookies...

I'd love to see the old 1981 TV version again. I enjoyed the recent version but still don't think there's been a definitive adaptation.
The 1981 adaptation is available for a fiver from Amazon. Yes, I agree it isn't quite the definitive version because it was updated to the eighties - which worked very well and has a nice nostalgic feel to it now. A true-to-the-book version would be good, though. As so often, I think the radio version is the best (I still think the BBC radio version of Lord of the Rings is better than the films)

If you don't fancy the cookies, the traditional Triffid Day meal in my house is cold chicken, scampi, avocado, asparagus tips, salad, and peaches with White Burgundy. This meal is as described in the radio version and any cooking should be done on a camping stove.
06 May 2016, 11:08 AM | Post: #6

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 06 May 2016 11:09 AM by Daphne.
(06 May 2016 10:04 AM)cecilia_writer Wrote: Wrote:  The 1981 tv version resulted in my older son developing an irrational fear of plants!
(or was it irrational?)
I didn't know there was a triffid day but it sounds like a good excuse for a party with cookies anyway.

I use 8th May as Triffid Day: "When a day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off by sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somewhere....  Probably I would have been aggrieved about it any morning, but today, this Wednesday 8 May, was an occasion of particular importance..."
Of course that means the night of the green lights was the 7th, and a case could be made for that as the crucial date.
In the 1981 TV version they updated it to Wednesday 12th May 1982 to give the audience something to anticipate.
I may be the only person to put quite as much thought into this date.Undecided Of course this year the 8th falls on a Sunday, so I won't panic if it starts off sounding that way.
Offline davidwailing Reading
06 May 2016, 11:10 AM | Post: #7

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

The BBC radio Lord of the Rings is fantastic - I listened to all thirteen cassettes avidly. Nice that Ian Holm played Frodo in that and then Bilbo in the movies! His performance when Frodo becomes tainted by the Ring and takes on Gollum's speech patterns literally gave me shivers.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk
06 May 2016, 11:52 AM | Post: #8

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

(06 May 2016 11:10 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  The BBC radio Lord of the Rings is fantastic - I listened to all thirteen cassettes avidly. Nice that Ian Holm played Frodo in that and then Bilbo in the movies! His performance when Frodo becomes tainted by the Ring and takes on Gollum's speech patterns literally gave me shivers.
Bill Nighy - unexpectedly suitable as Sam. And John le Mesurier (Sergeant Wilson) is excellent as Bilbo. I used to let my children listen to an episode with tea after they got home from school as a treat. They were enthralled. And the music is great too - although perhaps not the bit when Bill Nighy sings!
Offline TechnoHippy Reading One book at a time
06 May 2016, 12:02 PM | Post: #9

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 381 times

What I Read

(06 May 2016 11:10 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  The BBC radio Lord of the Rings is fantastic - I listened to all thirteen cassettes avidly. Nice that Ian Holm played Frodo in that and then Bilbo in the movies! His performance when Frodo becomes tainted by the Ring and takes on Gollum's speech patterns literally gave me shivers.
I have this, but haven't listened to it yet.
[Image: 51AbUjlZ-IL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51V1cDLzQ2L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51RN9BYSNjL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51UMThYt5zL._SL95.jpg]

Kiwi

Thanked 187 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 06 May 2016 10:37 PM by Shayne Parkinson.
I'm going to watch my so-called rhubarb with some trepidation now, if it can be used as a substitute for triffids!

I thought the 1981 series was very well done, and suitably scary. I read "Triffids" when I was at school, along with The Midwich Cuckoos, The Kraken Wakes, and my favourite: The Chrysalids. John Wyndham wrote a good yarn.

I loved the BBC The Lord of the Rings, which has been played on our local radio a few times. I haven't heard it for years now, though. Most of the character voices were great, but I remember the Arwen not working for me at all.
Shayne Parkinson on Amazon
Historical novels set in New Zealand

http://www.shayneparkinson.com

[Image: 61qPxbDAZbL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61Dt7hmi6PL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61iaNoaiS-L._SL95.jpg][Image: 612jLhsad1L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Yb7RaDEsL._SL95.jpg][Image: 411O4fzwK7L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51lofLnMF8L._SL95.jpg]

Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:One book at a time Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations