Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Kobo and other publishing sites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Fluffy1 Reading Police Jo Nesbo
27 Jan 2016, 05:54 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

Kobo and other publishing sites

Forgive my ignorance, but once my KDP select thingy has ended in two months, I presume I can put my books up anywhere I wish?
What is everyone's experience with the Kobo Writing Life site?
Can anyone recommend other sites I should also be thinking about? Apologies if this has already been covered in previous threads.
Thank you.
(Just that I spend all my spare time writing rather than thinking about marketing...)
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
27 Jan 2016, 06:10 PM | Post: #2

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

RE: Kobo and other publishing sites

Most people on KUF use Smashwords or D2D. Both are aggregators disseminating books to a range of stores such as Kobo, Apple and Barnes&Noble. The main difference is that Smaswords sell from their own site while D2D don't, and I believe D2D are easier to use. I have only used Smashwords, with some success. Most of my sales have been on Apple, but other people have sold well on Kobo and yet others hardly sold anything at all.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
27 Jan 2016, 06:53 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

Ok, thanks Mads.
So there is no point in me putting anything up on the Kobo Writing Life place-just stick it on Smashwords and it will automatically appear on there as well as a number of other sites?
Offline Mads Sorensen Reading A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter
27 Jan 2016, 08:03 PM | Post: #4

Author

Thanked 176 times

What I Read

It will, once approved. But I think they might want to create their own epub, mobi and other file formats from Word, though I'm not sure about this.
[Image: 41rhkIGNKiL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51mqDt327EL._SL95.jpg]    [Image: 51c7sKtKbeL._SL95.jpg]
Offline cecilia_writer Reading Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox
28 Jan 2016, 08:54 AM | Post: #5

That Singular Anomaly the Lady Novelist

Thanked 232 times

What I Read

I've found Kobo is my next best selling site after Amazon and I also use Smashwords to put my books there. Some people complain about Smashwords but what I've found is that as long as you use minimal formatting and include a table of contents, it's usually quite straightforward. Also, if you want to give away some free copies on the Smashwords site itself, you can generate coupon codes and let as many people as you want know about them. I sometimes just give the code to the people who follow my Facebook page (a small select group!).
[Image: C15Mdg7JBaS._SL95.png]  [Image: B1hPVOedslS._SL95.png]

Kiwi

Thanked 187 times

What I Read

About halfway through last year, Kobo went from being a just handful of sales to being reliably over 100 sales a month. It's now a useful 4th on my list, after Amazon, Apple and B&N, and with B&N trending down while Kobo trends up, I think it could well become my 3rd best retail outlet this year.

Like Mads and Cecilia, I use Smashwords to send my books to Kobo. I've been with them since 2009, and have found them good to work with.
Shayne Parkinson on Amazon
Historical novels set in New Zealand

http://www.shayneparkinson.com

[Image: 61qPxbDAZbL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61Dt7hmi6PL._SL95.jpg][Image: 61iaNoaiS-L._SL95.jpg][Image: 612jLhsad1L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51Yb7RaDEsL._SL95.jpg][Image: 411O4fzwK7L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51lofLnMF8L._SL95.jpg]
29 Jan 2016, 03:57 PM | Post: #7

Thanked 7 times

What I Read

Hi Shayne and Cecilia,
Thank you for your helpful replies.
I will put my books on smashwords as soon as my current KDP select thing ends.

Currently Reading:Police Jo Nesbo Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:
Currently Reading:A Quiet Life by Natasha Walter Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Pretty much anything, apart from RomanceFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Murder by the Glass by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:Colonel Sandhurst to the Rescue by MC Beaton Favourite Genres:Murder mystery; historicalFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations