Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Film or Book first?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average

Offline GilesMurray Reading
14 Jan 2016, 07:02 AM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Film or Book first?

I thought it would be interesting to ask do you read a book first then see the film or watch the film and then read the book?

I often find I am disappointed with the film if I have read the book first but never tried it the other way round
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
14 Jan 2016, 11:46 AM | Post: #2

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

RE: Film or Book first?

Usually for me it's the book and not the film. I don't see many films. The exception was The Martian which I read first then found the film equally fulfilling.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Matt5ki Reading
14 Jan 2016, 12:19 PM | Post: #3

New to this sort of thing

Thanked 111 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 14 Jan 2016 12:27 PM by Matt5ki.
I suppose it depends. I love films, sometimes I am interested in a film but not necessarily bothered about the book. Personally I hate the old argument that the book is better. Of course it's better, because you can really get into a characters head in a book that a film just cannot do.

I love the Bourne films and I have to say, you don't even need to read the books because the storylines are completely different in the book and bare very little relation, if any to the films, but both are equally excellent (not sure about the Eric van Lustbader books, I've not bothered with those).

The most satisfying was probably The Green Mile for me. I saw the film first and loved it. Read the book only about 4 or 5 years ago and loved it. They got the film spot on, yet I couldn't put the book down even knowing what was coming.

For me, they're two separate entities. I prefer Lord of the Rings films to the book, which is a grand book, but Tolkien, although a genius can ramble on for 2 or 3 pages about the shapes of leaves in a forest and the scale of the battles in the books are pretty pathetic. Not that I don't love the book, but I think PJ took those books and, personally, made it much better. He opened up LOTR to people who wouldn't read the book because it's seen as long, boring and geeky and made one of the biggest movie trilogies ever.

Most of the time, is the book better? Yes, but a film can be as good if it does it well, is it rare the film is better? Yep, but as I say at the start, sometimes a film can't do what the book does. Characters are sacrificed or not as fleshed out in pursuit of fitting a 900 page book into 2 hours of film.

I can like both equally, or one more than the other. It's rare I think the film is better, but I am happy to watch a film before reading the book. As per the Green Mile, knowing the end did not ruin it for me at all, but I think a lot of adaptations are done badly, more than are done brilliantly.
Out Now!
[Image: 51FxumiGWGL._SL95.jpg]
The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume One, in paperback and on Kindle.

Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
14 Jan 2016, 07:29 PM | Post: #4

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

I've got a Cineworld Unlimited card, so I can go to the flicks as much as I like. Smile

If it's a book I think I'd like, I do generally try to read it first, but I don't think I've ever bought and read a book because of the film. I enjoyed the Bourne films, but I've never read the books. I've read Lord of the Rings a dozen times, and enjoyed the films. I'd read Harry Potter before seeing the films, same for the Hunger Games trilogy. Warm Bodies, another brilliant book and brilliant film (although not totally true to the book)

Sometimes I do think the film is better than the book. I DNF'd both Life of Pi and The English Patient, but their movies are utterly brilliant. Same with WWZ. (there's a scene in my third novel that was born during a screening of Life of Pi, a good 2 years before I wrote it. And the clue is right there on the cover!)

Some films have little relation to the book, beyond the name -- Blade Runner is a classic example. Other films are an utter travesty - the remake of Total Recall (both based on Philip K Dick stories)

But throughout all that, whether I've watched first or read first, I don't think one spoiled the other. There are "good" films and "bad" films, "good books" and "bad" books.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline GilesMurray Reading
18 Feb 2016, 09:36 PM | Post: #5

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

i agree about LOTR i think the films were actually better than the books, the way the characters were portrayed was utterly magnificent. but i just cant bring myself to watch the film before reading the book, i think like matt5ki said, when reading the book youre building up the character yourself and bringing that character to life in your head. whereas if i watched the film then read the book i think id only be able to envision the actor playing the character rather than using my imagination..
Offline SteveScaffardi Reading Milk Blood by Adrian Simon
08 Mar 2016, 08:35 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

I have to say book first - you get so much more from the book. Whenever I watch a film and then read the book, I'm always disappointed that I didn't read the book first because I already know what's going to happen.

The book/film Papillon is the best example I can use. The book is amazing and pretty long! The film doesn't even cover a third of what happens in the book, and the film won loads of awards as I seem to remember.
[Image: The%2BDrought.jpg]   [Image: IMG_6511.PNG]

Check out the hilarious Sex, Love and Dating Disasters comedy series: The Drought & The Flood

http://stevenscaffardi.blogspot.co.uk/

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Horror/Thriller
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:HumourFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:Milk Blood by Adrian Simon Last Book I Read:The Red Mohawk by Anonymous Favourite Genres:Lad Lit, Comedy, Crime, Thriller