Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Christmas Telly

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

Christmas Telly

I thought I'd ask people if they had any tv highhlights over Christmas?

I enjoyed And Then There Were None immensely. I'm not usually a whodunnit fan but that was done brilliantly and complimented a glass of malt whisky perfectly. 

I also enjoyed Sherlock and I'm hoping we might get a bit more of it.

War and Peace started on Sunday and that too was excellent. I read it twenty years ago but can't remember the story. 

I've got Dickensian still to watch so I'm not sure if that's any good. Any one else watch it? 

I seem to have had a bit of a vintage viewing fetish but the only opportunity to watch the box was at 9pm and that was what was on!
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

Offline Jonathan Hill
06 Jan 2016, 11:31 AM | Post: #2

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

RE: Christmas Telly

I haven't watched much of Christmas telly yet as I intend to watch on catch-up. I enjoyed London Spy, although I think that was before Christmas. Recorded And Then There Were None. Can't remember much else. Enjoyed comedy things like Would I Lie To You, Not Going Out and Catherine Tate's Nan!
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
06 Jan 2016, 05:08 PM | Post: #3

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

I also enjoyed And Then There Were None and Sherlock.
I liked the concept of that Sherlock episode. The next series will be in 2017!!!

I can't think of anything else I watched over Christmas. I couldn't even be bothered with Strictly.
I caught up with Doctor Who and didn't mind it.

I was just looking at a link for "the best 16 new shows to watch" and I don't think any of them appealed to me as they were either films adapted to telly or comic book universe serieses.
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
06 Jan 2016, 05:27 PM | Post: #4

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

I rarely 'do' telly. Too busy reading!
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
07 Jan 2016, 09:00 AM | Post: #5

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

The only TV viewing I did was news and weather reports (mostly depressing). But I have been watching Dad's Army on DVD. The gentle humour and nostalgic atmosphere really appeals to me. The film I watched was The Martian which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was well paced and engaging from the start and I liked the way it was set in the near future so that everything was believable and the technology familiar. In some ways it was liking watching a next-stage Apollo 13 with ingenious and determined people making things do more than they were designed to in order to save the astronaut's life. I shall be ordering the DVD as this is one I will want to watch again.
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline Anna Faversham Reading
07 Jan 2016, 09:40 AM | Post: #6

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 276 times

What I Read

And Then There Were None - really enjoyed that. The quality of the production and the acting really add to a good story.

Dickensian - which as one critic put it 'was more soapy than a launderette'. At first I didn't like it and just kept spotting the characters and their source books, but once I'd got over my thought that it was like a Victorian soap opera, I began to like it.

A few other things - and like David, I mostly only watch the telly from 9 p.m. onwards, though I did treat myself to some Morse, and the Endeavours again.
[Image: 515KxJNxTKL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 510QluvPbnL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 511DbLRLA5L._SL95.jpg]
Offline davidwailing Reading
07 Jan 2016, 10:00 AM | Post: #7

Auto

Thanked 463 times

What I Read

I didn't watch much this year either, not terrestrial telly at least. I'm a huge Sherlock fan and really enjoyed it, but wish they'd had the courage to stick to setting it entirely in Victorian times, as was advertised.

Doctor Who was atrocious, and that's coming from someone who's watched it since before birth. Catherine Tate was good. I'll have to check out And Then There Were None, judging by everyone's views.

On Netflix, I'm currently watching How To Get Away With Murder. Great legal thriller that is being let down by the ridiculous amounts of sex in it. Strange thing to complain about, I know, but it honestly ruins the storytelling when every single character is having  an affair and there's two obligatory shagging scenes each episode!

Also on Netflix, Jessica Jones was brilliant, even better than Daredevil. But I love all that Marvel stuff.

Via Lovefilm, I'm almost finished watching Halt and Catch Fire. This is a very cool show set in the early Eighties and is about the boom of the home computer industry. Sounds dull but is riveting, with added nostalgic bonuses like people using Commodore 64s! In the second series you can see the characters actually inventing the proto-internet.
[Image: 415cTOxGWML._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51wNbPbpr3L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51im-cXHh%2BL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 5197SvSCQ5L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 519lLbh1VzL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 613-pfr3HsL._SL95.jpg]

Author blog: www.davidwailing.com   
Editorial services: www.storywork.co.uk

Author

Thanked 391 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 07 Jan 2016 10:27 AM by DavidHaynes.
(07 Jan 2016 10:00 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  I didn't watch much this year either, not terrestrial telly at least. I'm a huge Sherlock fan and really enjoyed it, but wish they'd had the courage to stick to setting it entirely in Victorian times, as was advertised.

Doctor Who was atrocious, and that's coming from someone who's watched it since before birth. Catherine Tate was good. I'll have to check out And Then There Were None, judging by everyone's views.

On Netflix, I'm currently watching How To Get Away With Murder. Great legal thriller that is being let down by the ridiculous amounts of sex in it. Strange thing to complain about, I know, but it honestly ruins the storytelling when every single character is having  an affair and there's two obligatory shagging scenes each episode!

Also on Netflix, Jessica Jones was brilliant, even better than Daredevil. But I love all that Marvel stuff.

Via Lovefilm, I'm almost finished watching Halt and Catch Fire. This is a very cool show set in the early Eighties and is about the boom of the home computer industry. Sounds dull but is riveting, with added nostalgic bonuses like people using Commodore 64s! In the second series you can see the characters actually inventing the proto-internet.
That sounds good!
On a very similar theme someone bought me this for Christmas. I've not watched it yet but it has some cracking reviews.
From Bedrooms to Billions. It's a documentary about the birth of the British computer gaming industry in the late 70's and through the eighties. 
http://www.funstock.co.uk...
New for May 2017

[Image: 51QQl4j3AWL._SL95.jpg]

The Church of Broken Pieces

Offline Matt5ki Reading
07 Jan 2016, 11:29 AM | Post: #9

New to this sort of thing

Thanked 111 times

What I Read

(07 Jan 2016 10:00 AM)davidwailing Wrote: Wrote:  I didn't watch much this year either, not terrestrial telly at least. I'm a huge Sherlock fan and really enjoyed it, but wish they'd had the courage to stick to setting it entirely in Victorian times, as was advertised.

Haha Doctor Who was a bit of fluff and nonsense. I found it watchable in a 'Hmm, this is such a load of nonsense, I don't want to turn it off'.

Haven't started the Marvel stuff on Netflix but that's because I'm yet to get it back. I had it for a while but there wasn't much I wanted to watch at the time, now I no longer have it there's tons!

Fluffy and light on Christmas Day while the food's still digesting.
Out Now!
[Image: 51FxumiGWGL._SL95.jpg]
The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume One, in paperback and on Kindle.

Offline Jonathan Hill
07 Jan 2016, 12:51 PM | Post: #10

Author

Thanked 401 times

What I Read

I haven't watched Doctor Who since David Tennant left. Couldn't abide Matt Smith! David Tennant and Billie Piper were such an awesome pairing.

Oh, I did watch Beasts of No Nation on Netflix. Tough viewing at times but it's a really moving drama.
[Image: 51w2OgUyUJL._SL95.jpg]

A Surprise for Maureen - out now!

Currently Reading:The Third Rule (The Complete Story) by Andrew Barrett Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Various, not erotica, no more horrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Contemporary fiction, humour, mystery, thriller, SFFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:HumourFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations