Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Marking emails as spam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
22 Dec 2015, 10:11 AM | Post: #1

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 278 times

What I Read

Marking emails as spam

This post was last modified: 22 Dec 2015 10:12 AM by Rosen Trevithick.
Please do not mark legitimate email as spam if an unsubscribe button is available

Many people are unaware that the 'spam' button in their email client does more than just stop emails from going into their inbox. Spam complaints are fed back to the email provider who often share the information with other email providers. If you mark a message as spam, you're essentially telling the rest of the web that a newsletter is spam. Therefore, the newsletter is more likely to go into other people's spam folders, not just yours.

What is spam?
Unsolicited emails you didn't sign up for.

What isn't spam?
Newsletters that you did sign up for.

Most newsletters have a one-click unsubscribe link. This allows you to be taken off the mailing list in a way that doesn't damage the reputation of the sender.

The reason I'm posting this is that BookHippo.uk has a two-step subscription process, i.e. you don't get the daily newsletter unless you enter your email address and verify the account. Yet people who confirmed that they wanted the email, often hit 'spam' instead of 'unsubscribe'. This kind of behaviour is really unfair on small businesses sending out genuine newsletters. I'm sure if people realised the impact they were having, that they'd take the extra two seconds it costs to find the 'unsubscribe' link.

From now on, I'm banning any author who marks BookHippo.uk emails as spam, from submitting further books. It's simply not fair.
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Anna Faversham Reading
22 Dec 2015, 11:29 AM | Post: #2

Fountain of Wisdom

Thanked 276 times

What I Read

RE: Marking emails as spam

Not only have you got an 'unsubscribe' button, but you also have a 'mute' button - something I have not noticed on any other site. That's a brilliant idea, especially useful if people are going on holiday and don't want to keep up while away or come back to hundreds of emails.

BookHippo is definitely not spam!
[Image: 515KxJNxTKL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 510QluvPbnL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 511DbLRLA5L._SL95.jpg]
Offline Kath Middleton Reading Hell, yes!
22 Dec 2015, 11:32 AM | Post: #3

Book Obsessive

Thanked 703 times

What I Read

I've occasionally done this by accident - not to the Hippo but to the daily Goodreads review round-up. The spam and delete are next to one another on my email provider and if you make a lunge without your glasses it's not till you notice you've not had an email for a day or two that you go in and find it - and at that point you can report it as 'not spam'.
[Image: 51-o4ONEe4L._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ex7iwZKuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51ZbDrktmuL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51F7dWY8IKL._SL95.jpg]
Offline Rosen Trevithick Reading
22 Dec 2015, 01:10 PM | Post: #4

Totally Splendid Hotshot Author

Thanked 278 times

What I Read

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sure the occasional accidental click happens, but not in the quantities I see. About one in four unsubscribers hit the spam button.
[Image: 51we%2BNvX2aL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51dlN%2BeBifL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51Y3bTpE8eL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51gmgMPfnBL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51qdNKyGE9L._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 61TE0dQyxjL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51Fbvd7KyWL._SL95.jpg]  [Image: 51YepJnT-dL._SL95.jpg]

Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Comedy; Crime, thrillers and mysteryFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading: Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Various, not erotica, no more horrorFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Hell, yes! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:Fantasy, crime, thriller, horror, a touch of sci-fiFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations