Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

Paperwhite versus Voyage???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline mummycool1 Reading [=Single by K.L. Slater =]
02 Dec 2015, 01:33 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Wink Paperwhite versus Voyage???

Hi peeps, my KK is now 5 years old and so I'm thinking about possibly getting a new one either when it packs up or if I can find a faithful home (maybe with my daughter).
I've been reading up on both the Paperwhite and the Voyage but am struggling to make up my mind between the two. My head says to go with the Voyage as I like both the idea of the sensor buttons for page turning, which I think I'd prefer over touch turning and & the adjustable front light as I always read at night. It's also lighter and slightly smaller which appeals, but are these 3 things enough to justify the extra £60??! Or are the press sensors and the light just extra things that could go wrong?!?
Can anyone enlighten me, give me your experiences of one or both and what you think of them, have you had any issues that I should consider. Many thanks in advance of any help that anyone can offer me. Screwloose Thumbs Up
Gilly x Reading Kindle
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
02 Dec 2015, 05:32 PM | Post: #2

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

RE: Paperwhite versus Voyage???

Before getting my Paperwhite, I was a button girl all the way. It took me 2 minutes to get used to the touch on the PW and I've never looked back.
You can get it half price if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers
Hedgehogs rock.
Offline l_macd
02 Dec 2015, 07:40 PM | Post: #3

Thanked 11 times

This post was last modified: 02 Dec 2015 08:53 PM by l_macd.
Only you can decide if the extra £60 is worth it or not (technically its £50 because the Voyage comes without special offers so you have to add the extra £10 to the price of the PW3 to get it without special offers too).

In addition to what you've said about the adaptive light and the slightly smaller size, a couple of other points to consider.

The PW3 and Voyage both have similar screens, but while both are 300 ppi, the flush, glass screen of the Voyage makes the text appear slightly more bold and crisp. It's not a huge difference though and even putting the two side to side, the difference probably won't be obvious. It also depends on your eyesight. For example, if you put the Voyage side by side with an older PW2 (with its 212 ppi) the text on the PW2 looks fuzzy in comparison, but a) you won't see this fuzziness if you only ever read on a PW2, and b) some people don't really notice the difference because their eyesight isn't that great.

The PagePress *haptic page sensors' are different to the page turn buttons you are used to on the KK, so bear that in mind too, not everyone likes them!

Sorry can't really help, but if I was upgrading myself right now, I'd be completely torn between the two of them and unable to decide either! 

Edited to add: No wait, I have to come back and edit my post to say that for a saving of £50, I'd just go with the PW3. The Voyage is just too expensive in comparison, it might be slightly better but unless I particularly wanted a top of the range ereader (in which case I might go for the bigger Kobo Aura H2O anyway!), the PW3 is easily good enough.
03 Dec 2015, 10:53 AM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

(02 Dec 2015 07:40 PM)l_macd Wrote: Wrote:  Only you can decide if the extra £60 is worth it or not (technically its £50 because the Voyage comes without special offers so you have to add the extra £10 to the price of the PW3 to get it without special offers too).

In addition to what you've said about the adaptive light and the slightly smaller size, a couple of other points to consider.

The PW3 and Voyage both have similar screens, but while both are 300 ppi, the flush, glass screen of the Voyage makes the text appear slightly more bold and crisp. It's not a huge difference though and even putting the two side to side, the difference probably won't be obvious. It also depends on your eyesight. For example, if you put the Voyage side by side with an older PW2 (with its 212 ppi) the text on the PW2 looks fuzzy in comparison, but a) you won't see this fuzziness if you only ever read on a PW2, and b) some people don't really notice the difference because their eyesight isn't that great.

The PagePress *haptic page sensors' are different to the page turn buttons you are used to on the KK, so bear that in mind too, not everyone likes them!

Sorry can't really help, but if I was upgrading myself right now, I'd be completely torn between the two of them and unable to decide either! 

Edited to add: No wait, I have to come back and edit my post to say that for a saving of £50, I'd just go with the PW3. The Voyage is just too expensive in comparison, it might be slightly better but unless I particularly wanted a top of the range ereader (in which case I might go for the bigger Kobo Aura H2O anyway!), the PW3 is easily good enough.

Thank you so much for your help. I also like the flush screen idea which I didn't mention in my original post. I do wear glasses for reading and the clearer the better for me. I think I will watch this thread for more replies, I'm still leaning toward the Voyage & by the time mine actually needs replacing it may well have come down in price anyway. I do have Rheumatoid which affects my hands and I'm thinking that the page press sensors will be the most comfortable element for me over both the buttons on my KK and touch turning, so that's something else that makes me lean that way thinking about it. Thumbs Up
Gilly x Reading Kindle
Offline I ♥ my Kindle Reading Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein
03 Dec 2015, 12:07 PM | Post: #5

BookWorm

Thanked 22 times

What I Read

This post was last modified: 03 Dec 2015 12:10 PM by I ♥ my Kindle.
I was in your position. My KK was ill and dying, so I know I needed a replacement. My heart wanted a Voyage, my head said don't be daft, 60 quid for buttons!
I bought a Paperwhite. It's ok. The light is good. I'd still prefer buttons, but can live without them for the extra money. I do fumble a bit trying to page backwards in a book. It's a tad annoying, as it can take me a while to find where I was again. That is the only thing the buttons would be better for.
I also have RH and the difference between buttons and a touchscreen matter not a jot.

When I was making my decision over Paperwhite and Voyage, I kept saying to myself they must bring the price down soon! They haven't shifted in price for over a year!

You can adjust the brightness of the light on the paperwhite as well. The light is very good. Much better than ye olde case light cover that I had with my KK!
03 Dec 2015, 12:47 PM | Post: #6

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Thanks very much for the input. Can I ask, is the light good enough for reading in total darkness? I always read in bed and currently only use the lighted case light on my KK.
Gilly x Reading Kindle
Offline joo Reading Off The KUF Vol I
03 Dec 2015, 01:20 PM | Post: #7

Hedgehog

Thanked 228 times

What I Read

The PW light is great for reading in bed. It can get quite bright. I have it on half all the time.
Hedgehogs rock.
03 Dec 2015, 01:35 PM | Post: #8

Thanked 0 times

What I Read

Thanks Joo Smile
Gilly x Reading Kindle
Offline I ♥ my Kindle Reading Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein
03 Dec 2015, 04:16 PM | Post: #9

BookWorm

Thanked 22 times

What I Read

Mines set to about 50% too, otherwise it's too bright.
It also doesn't give off too much external light. So the glow is around the screen, not around the room.
Offline Nick Day
04 Dec 2015, 11:56 PM | Post: #10

Thanked 1 times

(02 Dec 2015 01:33 PM)mummycool1 Wrote: Wrote:  Hi peeps, my KK is now 5 years old and so I'm thinking about possibly getting a new one either when it packs up or if I can find a faithful home (maybe with my daughter).
I've been reading up on both the Paperwhite and the Voyage but am struggling to make up my mind between the two. My head says to go with the Voyage as I like both the idea of the sensor buttons for page turning, which I think I'd prefer over touch turning and & the adjustable front light as I always read at night. It's also lighter and slightly smaller which appeals, but are these 3 things enough to justify the extra £60??! Or are the press sensors and the light just extra things that could go wrong?!?
Can anyone enlighten me, give me your experiences of one or both and what you think of them, have you had any issues that I should consider. Many thanks in advance of any help that anyone can offer me. Screwloose Thumbs Up
I had a first generation Paperwhite and now have a Voyage. I team my like he glass screen and lack of a frame. Page press buttons are great but could do without. With the haptic feedback, they'real good for e.g. page turning several times in a list of books, where you then have to wait for it to catch up, and being sure you won't accidentally hit a link in a document. (I send a lot of news articles to Kindle). Automatic brightness adjustment is useless to me, I prefer to turn the light off unless it's dark, to save battery. If you think you'll be keeping it, say, two years or more, and can afford it, go for the Voyage is my suggestion. If the press sensors or light detector did go wrong, you could probably still use it.
---

Currently Reading:[=Single by K.L. Slater =] Last Book I Read:[=The Swap by Fiona Mitchell =] Favourite Genres:Crimethrillers/police procedurals Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Off The KUF Vol I Last Book I Read:The Four Seasons Quest by Cecilia Peartree Favourite Genres:Good books :DFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:Sraship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein Last Book I Read:Devil's Advocate by Jonathan Maberry Favourite Genres:Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, True CrimeFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations