Welcome, Guest! Why not create a free forum account today and join in with the world's friendliest bunch of Kindle enthusiasts

ITIN help needed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Offline Aliflute
03 Aug 2015, 01:16 PM | Post: #1

Thanked 0 times

ITIN help needed.

Has anyone successfully obtained a U.S. ITIN? My husband's application for one has been rejected because he didn't supply thr right information in the exception box.  Category 1d does mention royalties, but says one has to submit a letter from whoever is responsible for withholding the tax, along with its postmarked envelope. Would this be Amazon? And how does he set about getting one?
---
Offline rachelmedhurst
03 Aug 2015, 02:24 PM | Post: #2

Thanked 1 times

RE: ITIN help needed.

Hi there,
I rang the US and asked for an EIN number. I think this is much easier to get. It was a year ago now so I'm a little sketchy.
They take your details on the phone and issue you an EIN number. I'm not sure if you actually need one any more.
I know if you google how to get an ITIN, if that is what you need, there's loads of articles.
Rachel Smile
---
Offline Daphne Reading Wanted by Tim Arnot
03 Aug 2015, 04:01 PM | Post: #3

Veteran Kindle Owner

Thanked 89 times

What I Read

(03 Aug 2015 01:16 PM)Aliflute Wrote: Wrote:  Has anyone successfully obtained a U.S. ITIN? My husband's application for one has been rejected because he didn't supply thr right information in the exception box.  Category 1d does mention royalties, but says one has to submit a letter from whoever is responsible for withholding the tax, along with its postmarked envelope. Would this be Amazon? And how does he set about getting one?
It's a while since I got my ITIN and I've forgotten the process now. But there were a few threads about it here and I'll put some links below in case you can glean any useful information from them. But I know the process changed - got easier, in fact - so some of the information in these threads may be out of date. I got my withholding letter from Smashwords when I applied for an ITIN and that worked.
Good luck!

http://www.kuforum.co.uk...
[Image: 51F7xHVzRlL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51elwZ0zy4L._SL95.jpg]
Daphne Coleridge | Twitter
Offline Aliflute
03 Aug 2015, 04:42 PM | Post: #4

Thanked 0 times

(03 Aug 2015 04:01 PM)Daphne Wrote: Wrote:  
(03 Aug 2015 01:16 PM)Aliflute Wrote: Wrote:  Has anyone successfully obtained a U.S. ITIN? My husband's application for one has been rejected because he didn't supply thr right information in the exception box.  Category 1d does mention royalties, but says one has to submit a letter from whoever is responsible for withholding the tax, along with its postmarked envelope. Would this be Amazon? And how does he set about getting one?
It's a while since I got my ITIN and I've forgotten the process now. But there were a few threads about it here and I'll put some links below in case you can glean any useful information from them. But I know the process changed - got easier, in fact - so some of the information in these threads may be out of date. I got my withholding letter from Smashwords when I applied for an ITIN and that worked.
Good luck!

Thanks, Daphne. I think (hope!) I have now found the answer; it seems Amazon will send me  the required letter.
---
Offline Tim_A Reading strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox
04 Aug 2015, 08:53 AM | Post: #5

SpaSpa Baby!

Thanked 214 times

What I Read

If this is for Amazon, you no longer need an ITIN - you just need your UK tax reference (10 digit number), which goes in the "Foreign Tax Identifying Number" box.
[Image: 512Zz5wyatL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51imffwT1JL._SL95.jpg] [Image: 51iVAkjSAIL._SL95.jpg]   [Image: 51gR9zaND4L._SL95.jpg] [Image: 513iiuG7yNL._SL95.jpg] [Image: First-Fire-Cover-ebook-tt.jpg]   Web Site | Facebook Page | Mailing List | Twitter
Dystopia Just Got British!
Offline profnexus Reading David Gemmell - Druss The Legend
04 Aug 2015, 03:21 PM | Post: #6

Born to Imagine

Thanked 114 times

What I Read

(04 Aug 2015 08:53 AM)Tim_A Wrote: Wrote:  If this is for Amazon, you no longer need an ITIN - you just need your UK tax reference (10 digit number), which goes in the "Foreign Tax Identifying Number" box.
Tim's advice is spot on. However, with Smashwords, they wanted an ITIn even though they admitted that the requirements had changed but their computer system hadn't. That was 2/3 months ago, so if anyone has more recent news, please do let me know.
Love and Laughter!
Rick Haynes
Cool  [Image: 51iaoQvh3CL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51YFIEUWeEL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51UyUMa0kFL._SL95.jpg][Image: 51g-Fx-aaEL._SL95.jpg]
Offline George Hamilton
05 Aug 2015, 08:53 AM | Post: #7

Master of Verbosity

Thanked 108 times

What I Read

I wrote to Amazon some time ago asking why they were withholding tax from income (unless forms are completed) which is not royalties (they can only pay royalties if they are the publisher), it is publishers compensation. I pointed to the fact that Kobo, a Canadian company, which operates under the same international tax treaty, recognises the income as publishers compensation and does not withhold tax or require any forms to be filled to do so. I was told someone would get back to me, and I’m still waiting more than a year later. I can only assume they have reasons for not challenging the IRS on this.
Offline Katherine Roberts Reading I keep forgetting to update this!
08 Aug 2015, 11:16 PM | Post: #8

young fantasy and legend/myth

Thanked 54 times

What I Read

I think they have got fussier about the letter? When I applied for my ITIN (successfully) 2 years ago, I downloaded Amazon's standard letter from the kdp site and took a printed version of that to the embassy with my application form and passport. I asked Amazon at the time if I needed a hardcopy and they said no, the download would work - but I understand the rules have been tightened up since then.

Currently Reading:Wanted by Tim Arnot Last Book I Read:I Like You For Murder: Emily Nemchick Favourite Genres:Eclectic ReaderFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:strictly murder by Lynda Wilcox Last Book I Read:The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty Favourite Genres:SF & F
Currently Reading:David Gemmell - Druss The Legend Last Book I Read:Origins by Randolph Lalonde Favourite Genres:Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Historical Fiction/Humour/MusicFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Favourite eBooks:
See my recommendations
Currently Reading:I keep forgetting to update this! Last Book I Read: Favourite Genres:fantasy, historical, science fiction, horses, YAFavourite eBooks:
See my recommendations